Menu

All-Knowing Hive, I need a vacation/retreat. Can you help me narrow it down?

ILiveInFlipFlops

DH and I decided that I need a little break, and I'm trying to decide what I want. I know I want to be somewhere in a beautiful, natural setting where I can walk and hike and be in nature on my own. I'd love someplace where I can do a little optional yoga and meditation (on the very beginner end), but I don't want to commit to a full, scheduled retreat where I have to be up at 6 am etc. I'll need a room and bathroom of my own, but very modest is OK. I need it to be a sanctuary-like place, but nondenominational. I love love love the idea of a silent retreat, but those mostly seem to come with schedules and classes. And I need it to be somewhere in the Northeast--say, Massachusetts to Virginia, Westchester or upstate New York, Pennsylvania. I'm willing to consider places outside that zone if they're perfect, but I don't want to lose whole days to driving if I can help it. 

I looked at the bigger centers (Kripalu, Omega) but the retreats they offer are either outside my price range or are scheduled with classes. I saw a lot of Christian-based sanctuaries, but there's no yoga or meditation at those (at least, I didn't see any at the ones I looked at). I'm tempted to just lock myself in a hotel somewhere for 4-5 days, but I really need to be out in nature. 

Has anyone done anything like this? Can you recommend, or do you know of, some options that offer this kind of thing? 

Thanks!

DH and I decided that I need a little break, and I'm trying to decide what I want. I know I want to be somewhere in a beautiful, natural setting where I can walk and hike and be in nature on my own. I'd love someplace where I can do a little optional yoga and meditation (on the very beginner end), but I don't want to commit to a full, scheduled retreat where I have to be up at 6 am etc. I'll need a room and bathroom of my own, but very modest is OK. I need it to be a sanctuary-like place, but nondenominational. I love love love the idea of a silent retreat, but those mostly seem to come with schedules and classes. And I need it to be somewhere in the Northeast--say, Massachusetts to Virginia, Westchester or upstate New York, Pennsylvania. I'm willing to consider places outside that zone if they're perfect, but I don't want to lose whole days to driving if I can help it.

I looked at the bigger centers (Kripalu, Omega) but the retreats they offer are either outside my price range or are scheduled with classes. I saw a lot of Christian-based sanctuaries, but there's no yoga or meditation at those (at least, I didn't see any at the ones I looked at). I'm tempted to just lock myself in a hotel somewhere for 4-5 days, but I really need to be out in nature.

Has anyone done anything like this? Can you recommend, or do you know of, some options that offer this kind of thing?

Thanks!

Woodloch spa in PA is nice.

There are some silent retreats in various Buddhist places in the Catskills and I've been looking into those but no experience.

I'm not sure what you consider "expensive," but have you looked into the Kripalu day pass?

https://kripalu.org/stay/kripalu-day-pass

Maybe you could find a cheap hotel, air bnb or something in the area and spend the day at Kripalu. It's 6 am through evening and includes all meals and only classes that you want, or none if you don't want any. It also gives you access to their beach, hiking trails, gardens, etc. I have friends who do this several times a year and they LOVE it!

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1

There were monasteries in Baltimore County (Maryland) that could be stayed in, but I don't know how you would find out about it other than a google search.

I knew a lot of people that used to stay there for weekend retreats but I never asked about the name or how they got reservations. 

That sounds like a pretty sweet retreat you're looking for...I thought there were places in New York available and affordable, but that just might be a thing of the past. 

Come to think of it, there was another place I recently found out about that is in both New York and Connecticut.

Let me see if I can find the article and I'll get back to you with a yay or nay.

Well, the one has not been turned into a retreat or anything other than a preserve of woodlands by Don Henley (of the Eagles and many other supporters) and that is in Massachusetts. It's open for hiking. Walden Woods Project.

And I couldn't find out anything about monasteries in Baltimore County that would interest you, most unlikely. More religion than not. 

I hope you find what you're looking for and maybe the right person will respond.

The biggest drag will be having to provide your own nourishing food, IMHO.

How about a seaside B&B that has bikes or kayaks and dining you can walk to? There may even be local yoga classes you can drop-in on cheaply without springing for the yoga-themed weekend spa. I do have friends who adored Kripalu, but I've never been. The picked what they wanted to do and sometimes just napped.