Menu

"Cheers" and "Have a nice day"

Has anyone else noticed how these phrases have come to denote a derogatory post? Some very argumentative posts have used these phrases at the end so that now, even if a post is stated nicely, but not in agreement with my beliefs, adding a "cheers" or "have a nice day" to the end makes it sting. Is it just me?

Do I need to go on a board break and get a life?:lol:

(Don't answer that, I know the answer!):seeya:

Oh, and Have a nice day!:tongue_smilie:

the post above (actually, 2 above, if you're counting) brings back a (rather unpleasant) memory of a particularly nasty e-mail my co-leader and I received from the father of one of our girl scouts after her mom had a disagreement with us.

It was a raging rant with "what gives you the right"s and "how dare you"s and ended with dire threat of lawsuits and vauge reference to bodily harm.

And it was signed, "God Bless! Pastor XXXXX"

The guy was the youth pastor at a local church!!!! :scared:

Edited by OhM

the post above (actually, 2 above, if you're counting) brings back a (rather unpleasant) memory of a particularly nasty e-mail my co-leader and I received from the father of one of our girl scouts after her mom had a disagreement with us.

It was a raging rant with "what gives you the right"s and "how dare you"s and ended with dire threat of lawsuits and vauge reference to bodily harm.

And it was signed, "God Bless! Pastor XXXXX"

The guy was the youth pastor at a local church!!!! :scared:

How repulsive!

I thought of you right away when I saw this thread!:001_smile:

Colleen always writes "Cheers" as well and has as long as I can remember. I agree with Elaine above. I use smileys to try and convey my tone or mood which might not always come across no matter how carefully you try to word things.

I've never noticed those valedictions as anything other than simple farewells. Of course, tone comes into play, but I've never seen what you're describing myself. :001_huh: Perhaps I need to upgrade my own sign-off...

I beg to remain, Ladies and Gentlemen, your most humble and obedient servant,

Mamagistra

:lol::lol:

I've never noticed those valedictions as anything other than simple farewells. Of course, tone comes into play, but I've never seen what you're describing myself. :001_huh: Perhaps I need to upgrade my own sign-off...

I beg to remain, Ladies and Gentlemen, your most humble and obedient servant,

Mamagistra

:lol::lol:

:lol:

But I think the point is to go the other way with it. To take your disagreement into the sign-off so as not to appear pandering or phony or sarcastic.

Disagreeably yours,

Zelda (MISS Zelda to you!)

See, I dunno. I like, "Cheers", better. :D

But I think the point is to go the other way with it. To take your disagreement into the sign-off so as not to appear pandering or phony or sarcastic.

Disagreeably yours,

Zelda (MISS Zelda to you!)

See, I dunno. I like, "Cheers", better. :D

:lol:

In undeniable agreement, I am,

Mamagistra :tongue_smilie: