Menu

Let's compile a "must watch" list of rom-com movies ...

Ann.without.an.e

Some great suggestions!!! I need to match these with Netflix.

My favorite all-time is My Best Friend's Wedding, though they don't end up together in the end, lol.

But they end up how they should end up. I love this movie, too.

The moment I wake up, before I put on my make up...

• Like 3

Some great suggestions!!! I need to match these with Netflix.

My favorite all-time is My Best Friend's Wedding,,.<spoiler removed>

You need a spoiler alert there!

I tried to like that movie but spent too much time cringing in shame over Julia Roberts' behavior to really enjoy it!

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

I'm guessing some people don't quite fully grasp what "rom-com" means, because I'm scratching my head over some of these recommendations.

As I was reading this thread I was thinking "oh dear, I seem to have very different tastes in rom-coms compared to my fellow WTMers.  Why am I always the weird one?"  But maybe part of it is that I have a different definition of rom-com.  (And, also, that I'm always the weird one.)  When I think of rom-com, I think My Big Fat Greek Wedding, not Pride and Prejudice.  I dunno.  I love both, but I would only put one in that category.

• Like 6

As I was reading this thread I was thinking "oh dear, I seem to have very different tastes in rom-coms compared to my fellow WTMers.  Why am I always the weird one?"  But maybe part of it is that I have a different definition of rom-com.  (And, also, that I'm always the weird one.)  When I think of rom-com, I think My Big Fat Greek Wedding, not Pride and Prejudice.  I dunno.  I love both, but I would only put one in that category.

I also wouldn't think to put Pride and Prejudice (my favorite movie!) in the rom-com category either, though I think MANY parts of it are hugely funny. I have a slightly strange sense of humor though.

• Like 2

Has Leap Year been mentioned yet? I thought it was quite cute.

I have been meaning to watch this one. I just put it on my Amazon watch list, thanks. Even though it will cost me 2.99, I do like the cast, and I need a rom-com now.

just edited to remove video from quote.

Edited by slackermom
  • Like 1

Now that I think on it....Pride and Prejudice was probably the rom-com of its day :laugh:

• Like 2

<SNIP>

I have a special fondness for the Rock Hudson & Doris Day movies, but I'm not sure any of them are must-see.  More fun.

As a kid I loved Return to the Blue Lagoon and Bare Essentials, both early 90's desert island movies.

Pillow Talk Is a must see.  Doris Day and James Garner are hilarious in Move Over Darling.  It's on Netflix right now. 

How To Marry a Millionaire is a good but slow movie. 

I also wouldn't think to put Pride and Prejudice (my favorite movie!) in the rom-com category either, though I think MANY parts of it are hugely funny. I have a slightly strange sense of humor though.

I agree, its humor is one of the things that makes it such a great story!  But since (to me, at least) the humor isn't the major point or focus of the story, I don't think of it as rom-com.  But, I can certainly see how others would see it differently.  However you want to label it, it IS a great movie (and book)!

Pillow Talk Is a must see.  Doris Day and James Garner are hilarious in Move Over Darling.  It's on Netflix right now. 

How To Marry a Millionaire is a good but slow movie

but it has some  great lines . . .

I happen to like older men, just look at that old guy what's his name in African queen . .. .

(said by lauren bacall in reference to her irl husband, humphrey bogart.)

marilyn Monroe really was a gifted comedienne.  she had  great timing and delivery.

I only have one (I'm more of a sucker for a good ghost story, lol) and it's...

Return to Me

Best. Rom-Com. Ever.

I listed that one above as my favorite! :D

I love it -- Bonnie Hunt is so funny (as is the rest of the cast).

I love all the "old men," I love the Swiss water scene, LOL.  Everything about it.

:001_wub: