Menu

Just a fun story I thought some of you would enjoy

Only me

About 10-11 years ago when my youngest dd was 11 and her older sister was 13 or 14 they used to play an online kids game where you could talk to other kids in a supervised and somewhat controlled chat room. Through this game they met a girl who was the same age as my younger daughter. With my permission they exchanged emails and started talking on a regular basis. At the time I supervised this since we had never met her and I wanted to make sure she really was a young girl. This developed into being Facebook friends and over time texting, calling and skyping. Since my girls were still young at the time I popped in when my girls were skyping a few times etc. and the girl also befriended me on FB. She became one of their closest friends and was really there especially for my younger daughter when she was going through a string of medical problems followed by unrelated major leg surgery from about 11-15. This was at a time when my daughter had to quit sports and didn't have a lot of IRL friends.

Through the years they have had Skype/FaceTime slumber parties where they would Skype into late at night while watching the same movie, eating popcorn and giggling. They been there for each other through broken hearts, loss of pets, loss of a grandparent and this poor girl has been stuck in the middle when my two girls would have sibling arguments and as of course as with any friendship they have had their own arguments. I've seen this girl grow up on Facebook and I love to receive a happy birthday or Merry Christmas text from her once in awhile.

What is amazing is that they have pretty much talked to her every day for the past 10 years but have never met her! Well that all changed on Friday when she flew in from the east coast to be here for my daughter's college and my son's high school graduation party and to spend some time with them. Even though we have known her for 10 years I wasn't sure if it it would be awkward meeting for the first time and having her stay here. She fit right it and it seems like we know her as much as if she lived in town.

The girls are trying to squeeze so much Into the 5 days she will be here. They already went ice skating, to 3 restaurants that she doesn't have by her, to a movie, bowling, shopping to two different malls and of course went to our grad party last night. That was only the first 2 days! Today they are spending the day town town Chicago and tomorrow are going to Six Flags. Tuesday I think they might just take it easy and go to a water park. Ah to be young again. That list exhausts me.

I'm just so happy for the three of them that they got to meet. It also warms my heart that they have became such good friends and were able to maintain such a long friendship without ever meeting.

• Like 38

What a sweet story! I *love* the concept of the online slumber party -- very creative!

One of dd's best friends moved to another country a couple of years ago. It's so cool that they can stay in such close touch via Skype and social media. She's coming to visit us for a week later this month; I'm pretty sure it will be as nonstop as what you just described, lol.