Menu

Dog pee. Ew.

Entropymama

So we got a dog. In most ways he's a fantastic little pet, but he pees in the house. (We're working on this.) 

In general I am able to get to it quickly and it's not a big deal, but apparently he peed behind the curtain in the family room and we didn't notice it until it was dry. I cleaned it but it still smells. 

What do you use to get rid of the smell? We're having the carpets professionally cleaned later in the summer, but I'd love a spray or powder or something that will work in the mean time. Also, if it's in the pad, are there any solutions? 

Help!

I agree, nature's miracle, but get the big bottle, not the spray. The problem is the urine is down in the pad of the carpet, and spreads out bigger than you think. You have to saturate the carpet and pad with the nature's miracle and let it sit. The enzymes in it eat away the urine over time. But saturate it, using way more than you think you need. 

• Like 5

I got that Nature's Miracle Urine formula and it has been sitting in my closet for a few months. Well, we brought home a new rescue dog and she peed on my carpet! Wah!!!! I got out that bottle, used half of it on the spot, then tried to rinse with water (as best as you can!) and I am pleased as punch - spot doesn't smell, no animals smell that spot when they come in the room, and it didn't discolor or leave any marks on the carpet. Our long term plan is to get rid of all the carpet downstairs, but for now, I was pretty happy with that!

I got that Nature's Miracle Urine formula and it has been sitting in my closet for a few months. Well, we brought home a new rescue dog and she peed on my carpet! Wah!!!! I got out that bottle, used half of it on the spot, then tried to rinse with water (as best as you can!) and I am pleased as punch - spot doesn't smell, no animals smell that spot when they come in the room, and it didn't discolor or leave any marks on the carpet. Our long term plan is to get rid of all the carpet downstairs, but for now, I was pretty happy with that!

Next time, don't rinse! The enzymes really need time to do their thing. 

• Like 1

We had that problem with our rescue male dog..  We used something like this to train him (not this one exactly):

http://www.amazon.com/Pusheng-Physiological-Training-Incontinence-Reusable/dp/B0194USKUI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1464102609&sr=8-10&keywords=belly+band+for+dogs

It really worked.  IT took about a week or two for him to get the message that peeing was outside only.

Good luck .

Edited by PrincessMommy

Yes, don't rinse the enzymes! If anything, in dry weather or dry climates, you have to apply it and then cover it with a damp wrung out towel to keep the area from drying out before the enzymes finish working.

You don't need to use that much product either - saturate it and then keep it damp. I usually do 12-24 h, redampening the cover towel if needed during that time. Then blot everything up and let dry. Then do sniff test. If any problems remain, repeat the whole procedure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If Nature's Miracle doesn't work, I've also heard great things about Nok Out. It's another enzyme cleaner like NM, but supposedly much stronger. (And more expensive. Of course. *sigh*) I'm going to try it on the spot next to the litter box where one of my cats keeps peeing over the side.  :cursing:  We thought the NM had taken care of it, but as soon as it got humid, the cat pee smell came back.

I agree, nature's miracle, but get the big bottle, not the spray. The problem is the urine is down in the pad of the carpet, and spreads out bigger than you think. You have to saturate the carpet and pad with the nature's miracle and let it sit. The enzymes in it eat away the urine over time. But saturate it, using way more than you think you need. 

So I soak it and just leave it? No need to wash it out? I'm ordering some today. Thank you! 

We had that problem with our rescue male dog..  We used something like this to train him (not this one exactly):

http://www.amazon.com/Pusheng-Physiological-Training-Incontinence-Reusable/dp/B0194USKUI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1464102609&sr=8-10&keywords=belly+band+for+dogs

It really worked.  IT took about a week or two for him to get the message that peeing was outside only.

Good luck .

This is cool. I just leave it on him whenever he's in the house, right? I like this much better than hitting or shock collars, which are the recommendations I've gotten. 

We do live in a mildly humid climate. Hopefully this works! 

Yes, agreeing with the many posts and suggestions above! Get the Nature's Miracle in the GALLON jug from Amazon. Treat it as mentioned above (saturate, use more than you think you need, let sit overnight, etc). I actually prefer the brand Simple Solution Stain & Odor remover (gallon jug from Amazon), but only because of the product's smell. I found they both work equally well, but the Nature's Miracle left behind a strong scent (product, not urine) that was too much for me. But, I have a sensitive nose. I also had our carpets professionally cleaned after *months* of cleaning puppy pee and it helped tremendously. Make sure you pay extra for them to go through your house looking for urine and treating it first. They used a special thing they poked in the carpet to find the spots. It helped make the carpets smell good again AND deterred my little pup from going back to her favorite toilet areas. :)

Good luck! There's hope, so hang in there! :)

So we got a dog. In most ways he's a fantastic little pet, but he pees in the house. (We're working on this.) 

In general I am able to get to it quickly and it's not a big deal, but apparently he peed behind the curtain in the family room and we didn't notice it until it was dry. I cleaned it but it still smells. 

What do you use to get rid of the smell? We're having the carpets professionally cleaned later in the summer, but I'd love a spray or powder or something that will work in the mean time. Also, if it's in the pad, are there any solutions? 

Help!

Here's my method that has been fool proof everytime.

First, use a towel to soak up as much of the pee as you can (in your case, pour a small amount of water on to re-wet the pee), standing on it as necessary.

Second, pour on a strong solution of Rug Doctor pet formula. Pour on a lot.  You want it to soak into the padding and through to the wood.  Let sit for 5 minutes.

Third, use a shop vac to suck it up.

Repeat steps 2 and 3, 1x. 

The pouring on a lot really matters, because you want to be able to suck that pee out of the rug and you want the solution to soak down through all the layers.  If you don't, it will just keep smelling.

Ok, I bought 1.5 gallons of Nature's Miracle on Amazon. It arrived Wednesday and I thoroughly sprayed down all the areas that were peed on. Now it smells (slightly less) like urine and a lot like a porta potty air freshener. My question is  how long it takes for the pee smell to go away. It's certainly possible I've missed some spots, but I won't know to look for more until I know the smell from the spots I sprayed is gone. 

Second question - it came with a really great, battery-operated sprayer, but some of you recommended pouring it on. The carpet is only a couple years old and has a stain guard treatment so I don't think it's soaked in (liquids tend to sit on top, at least for a while), but I'm perfectly happy to pour it on if needed. 

Ok, I bought 1.5 gallons of Nature's Miracle on Amazon. It arrived Wednesday and I thoroughly sprayed down all the areas that were peed on. Now it smells (slightly less) like urine and a lot like a porta potty air freshener. My question is  how long it takes for the pee smell to go away. It's certainly possible I've missed some spots, but I won't know to look for more until I know the smell from the spots I sprayed is gone. 

Second question - it came with a really great, battery-operated sprayer, but some of you recommended pouring it on. The carpet is only a couple years old and has a stain guard treatment so I don't think it's soaked in (liquids tend to sit on top, at least for a while), but I'm perfectly happy to pour it on if needed. 

Pour it on and be prepared to wait up to a couple weeks for the enzymes to completely get rid of all the pee.

I'd say pour it on so it soaks through to the underside. My carpets were only 2 years old as well, so I feel your pain. :) I bought one of those black light flashlights from Amazon so I could go through and find any spots I didn't know about. Sadly, there were many. :(

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'm going to pour and wait and hope for the best. Does the port a potty smell dissipate? 

I've only used it on cat pee, but the smell will go away with time, though the fragrance from the NM will still be there if you get down and smell the carpet. 

if you think it's soaked into underlay, you may need to use syringes to inject it in there.  You can use these syringes from the hardware store if you can't access a large gauge medical needle & syringe. http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20003&cat=1,110,42967&ap=1

& yes, black light will help you find all the stains. 

(great homeschool science LOL) 

• Like 1