Menu

WriteShop Junior--what do you like or not like?

kbutton

I used it several years ago - level D with a 3rd grader (and level A, which is WriteShop Primary). It was very school-ish. It is written to be used one on one, but the activities remind me so much of school things, with lots of prep time compared to teaching time. My then 1st grader used A and she really liked the variety of ways you published things (I think one was making a kite, one was making a cookie) - even these reminded me of school projects, but DD liked them. DS, a get-er-done writing kid, did not like it at all.

I thought the grammar and spelling instruction was spotty. I'd rather not have it in the lessons at all and use my own solid grammar and spelling. I think the writing scope and sequence was too random for my liking too. But the prep time was my biggest hang-up.

• Like 2

I used it several years ago - level D with a 3rd grader (and level A, which is WriteShop Primary). It was very school-ish. It is written to be used one on one, but the activities remind me so much of school things, with lots of prep time compared to teaching time. My then 1st grader used A and she really liked the variety of ways you published things (I think one was making a kite, one was making a cookie) - even these reminded me of school projects, but DD liked them. DS, a get-er-done writing kid, did not like it at all.

I thought the grammar and spelling instruction was spotty. I'd rather not have it in the lessons at all and use my own solid grammar and spelling. I think the writing scope and sequence was too random for my liking too. But the prep time was my biggest hang-up.

Thank you!

• Like 1

We used Level C several years ago.  I agree with the PP about it needing a lot of prep work.  We were forever having to make something.  It's been a long time since we've used it, but I don't remember the instruction being very strong either.  I remember it being an issue for my kiddo - she doesn't mind writing, but she struggles to get things in order and WS expected her to be very creative on a writing level and then on an artsy level - neither of which fit well for her.   

• Like 1

The prep work! Ugh.

So many paper type crafts. Just too time consuming.

I felt it needed more explicit writing instruction and less focus on the crafty aspect.

And I truly hated the publishing ideas. "Let's take this paper you just wrote and turn it into a kite to publish it."

Umm, why? What on earth does that do for us?

And it felt random to me also.

I just wanted a logical sequence and more explicit writing instruction. Not paper crafts and random creative writing assignments. So, it wasn't a good fit at our house.

ETA: We used A and a little bit of B. Those are the only two levels I've looked at.

Edited by lexi
  • Like 2

My daughter LOVES it. My son HATED it! My daughter really loves crafty stuff though, and likes to make up stories. My son hates crafts and hates to make up stories. So it really depends on your kid. Unlike others, I don't find prep to be an issue. It's maybe some cutting shapes out the night before or what have you. I usually prep things a few weeks in advance, so I'm ready when the lesson comes. That helps. And we don't do all the "publishing" projects. Only if I think they add to the lesson, or she particularly wants to do them. I find Writeshop Junior to be similar to Jot it Down, by Bravewriter. 

• Like 1

I have used Level E this past semester.  I bought the ready made activities so prep was minimal for me.  I actually think it is a well laid out program (though I can't compare to the lower levels and this is my only level I have used).  It is a teacher-intensive program but what I liked was the step by step approach and the models you share with the student and how it breaks it down.  We have used EIW for a few years and I wanted my daughter to try something different, and it has worked great for her.  EIW is more independent and I knew Write Shop would not be and I was fine with that (plus I was using it with 1 student too).

• Like 1

I've only used Writeshop E for the lower levels. It was good. I skipped most of the projects and busy work- but the writing it produced was good. I love the older levels of Writeshop. It has produced good writers step by step. I've used it at home and at co op, and it has done wonders for the students writing.

• Like 1

My daughter LOVES it. My son HATED it! My daughter really loves crafty stuff though, and likes to make up stories. My son hates crafts and hates to make up stories. So it really depends on your kid. Unlike others, I don't find prep to be an issue. It's maybe some cutting shapes out the night before or what have you. I usually prep things a few weeks in advance, so I'm ready when the lesson comes. That helps. And we don't do all the "publishing" projects. Only if I think they add to the lesson, or she particularly wants to do them. I find Writeshop Junior to be similar to Jot it Down, by Bravewriter. 

This is good to know. I'm considering it for my 9 year old who LOVES anything arty or crafty and enjoys writing creatively. It did look like there's a bit of teacher prep, but that seems to be the case with anything she enjoys.