Menu

Finding A Phone Number

Reefgazer

Since it seems to be the online rule of the day to extract money out of you however possible, I think it is really hard to find a phone number or any free information anymore. Gone are the days when you could simply google a phone number with the area code first and get everything you need.   You could try calling Information, but that probably costs money now too. 

If I needed it enough, I'd probably pay, but I'd do many searches first with all sorts of information I could think of about the person. Spokeo can sometimes give you some relatives' names, if they haven't cut that off too, and you can at least find some people who know the person you want.  Sometimes tracking them through social media leads to a way to contact. 

It's very strange; all of the sites recommended here send you to a site that is the same fee-based site. I even tried this on another device (my iPad instead of desktop) and in incognito mode and got sent to the same site every time.

It's very strange; all of the sites recommended here send you to a site that is the same fee-based site. I even tried this on another device (my iPad instead of desktop) and in incognito mode and got sent to the same site every time.

Weird.

I'm unbelievably cheap - I don't want to pay because it's over a buck, LOL!

Is there no longer a directory assistance? Where you call an actual person who looks up the number? IDK. I haven't needed to do that in years, lol.

I still can't wrap my mind around why I can go to whitepages.com and get a free phone number, but you're routed somewhere else. I wonder if it's somehow based on what state you live in? It's just so strange to me. Why is it doing that? I would be SO frustrated if I were you!

I am glad you found something that works, though.

Yup - $1.44 on our last bill. 

That's amazing.

I used to be a directory assistance operator. :-)

I guess in today's world where Ma Bell is not the only source of information Ma has to charge to stay in business.

I don't get it either, especially since I was able to access whitepages.com and get numbers for free as recent as a year or two ago.  That's why I thought it was my device (cookies routing me elsewhere, or some such nonsense) and I tried Incognito mode.  But when that didn't work, I just thought the site had changed.

I still can't wrap my mind around why I can go to whitepages.com and get a free phone number, but you're routed somewhere else. I wonder if it's somehow based on what state you live in? It's just so strange to me. Why is it doing that? I would be SO frustrated if I were you!

I am glad you found something that works, though.

I guess.  It's weird that no matter which site you use, though, it still routes me to the same pay-for-information site.  Like some clearinghouse for phone numbers or something....

That's amazing.

I used to be a directory assistance operator. :-)

I guess in today's world where Ma Bell is not the only source of information Ma has to charge to stay in business.

We have a magicJack with a phone number in the USA.  I believe one of the many free services that go with it is Information calls, but I've never tried that. A childhood friend in UT had his landline number in his house "ported" to magicJack. I can't remember how much he said it saves him. Probably 20 or 30 dollars a month. He takes his magicJack with him, when he travels in the USA and overseas and he believes the reliability is about the same as his previous "POTS" landline service.  

• Like 1

This is good to know; especially for travelers.

We have a magicJack with a phone number in the USA.  I believe one of the many free services that go with it is Information calls, but I've never tried that. A childhood friend in UT had his landline number in his house "ported" to magicJack. I can't remember how much he said it saves him. Probably 20 or 30 dollars a month. He takes his magicJack with him, when he travels in the USA and overseas and he believes the reliability is about the same as his previous "POTS" landline service.