Menu

National Merit Finalist -- has anyone else heard?

I'm confused. Gwen, can you answer a question for me?

As I understand it, the PSAT is given in the fall of the junior year. Right?

So did your son take the test this past fall or did he take it last fall (2006)?

I'm confused. I thought your son was a senior. (I have saved so many of your posts - I think I need to start a "Gwen" file. :D anyway....just trying to remember.) As I recall he was taking a TON of AP courses this year... I think.

If you could clear that up, I would really appreciate it!

Congrats to you and your son! ROCK ON momma! :)

Any advice to those of us marching along this high school trail?

THANKS!

Janice

Natl Merit is funny -- the PSAT that the student takes in the fall of their junior year is the one that "counts."

In May/June of junior year Commended Scholars are announced -- bsically everyody with scores over about 200.

Then the September of senior year the student hears if he is a Natl Merit Semifinalist. A Semifinalist then has to fill out an application, write an essay, get a recommendation from a non-relative, and submit SAT scores.

Then in early February of his senior year he hears if he is a Finalist.

Then in late April of his senior year he hears if he is a National Merit Scholar. (Dd heard that she was a NM Scholar the same day she heard that she received a full-tuition scholarship -- I called dh and announced that it was raining money!)