Menu

Boys are in public school....Sad and Venting

Well we've been homeschooling for about 2 years. I have lupus and I'm having a flare and I started extensive treatment this week. I will be in and out of the hospital for who knows how long.

I have six children. They are 10, 6, 5, 5, 4, and 1. When my DH and I discovered I was having another flare, we decided to put the boys in public school. I know this is the best choice for my family right now, but I'm devastated.

My boys seem to like school enough. Our twins were placed in Kindergarten. They are reading very well and have already finished 1st grade phonics because they excelled so well at home.

My six-year-old son was placed in kindergarten because he didn't do well on their assessment. He is a struggling reader and because I chose to focus more on phonics than sight words this year, he is stuck in kindergarten. He doesn't have a learning disability per se, but he has been developmentally delayed since birth. Basically he gets things, but it takes him longer than most other children.

To me, this is just ignorant. He needs work on sight words, but it was as if they thought I was an idiot because I haven't had my son memorize 30 sight words yet. Everything else he is up to par with except handwriting and that is due to the fact he despises writing with a passion and his handwriting definitely reflects it.

I fully intend to pull my kids out just as soon as I'm cleared by my doctor. I'm still working with them at home as well, but the sheer attitude I'm received from the school just makes me angry. I am far from an idiot and I've spent money out of my own pocket to get my six year old speech therapy and reading support because the school system refuses to help me in the process. Plus, my twins are stuck in a class where they are not challenged at all. I feel like all my boys are being punished because I started teaching my children to read when THEY were ready, not when the public schools says they're ready. For example, my twins started asked what things said when they were 4 1/2. My six-year-old just started do this about two months ago. I'm sure many of you can relate to this and have had different results with different children.

I'm very sad about all this. We just don't have any other choice right now. I miss seeing their smiling little faces and want them home so badly.

Blessings,

Andrea

{{Andrea}} It is so hard when the system will not look at their strengths and weaknesses, but look at one arbitrary benchmark. There are times when I thought I would put dd8 in school, but I knew they would want to hold her back because she was a late bloomer as far as reading is concerned and is a little behind in math (no worries, she will catch up.) They would likely not look at her encyclopedic knowledge of Greek mythology, ancient history, science, etc.

:grouphug::grouphug:

As a mom of a late bloomer as well, I feel your pain. I'm so sorry you are going through this right now, but, it's a season. Focus on getting well, loving your dc, and planning for when they come home. If nothing else, it will reinforce to you, dh, and your dc that homeschooling is best for your family. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you all during this time.:grouphug:

I'm sorry you have to deal with the PS. I'd just consider them a babysitting service til you get better, because it doesn't sound like they're going to learn much.

:iagree: That is exactly what I was going to say. Hopefully you'll get better quickly then be done with the nonsense of the PS.

I'm sorry you have to deal with the PS. I'd just consider them a babysitting service til you get better, because it doesn't sound like they're going to learn much.

:iagree: Exactly what I was thinking. I couldn't say it any better myself. You focus on getting better and make the time you have with them after school great. Then when you do feel better you can bring them home for schooling. :grouphug:

I'm sorry you're going through this. I almost put my dc into public school last year when my fibromyalgia went into a long flare that seemed without end. But the main difference is that I didn't have to go into the hospital. I agree with the advice to think of this as babysitting. The kids will get something out of it. You know that you are not an idiot. In fact you are a smart mama! I remember being appalled at public school moms telling me that "Johnny is so ready to start reading, but I'm holding him back. If I teach him anything at home, he'll just get in trouble!" That is child abuse in my book! (sort of- you get the idea.)