Menu

On behalf of my friend...

:banghead:   

Her dc is in public high school and took several AP courses this year.  We were talking about college, and she said it was great these courses would count toward college.  I told her about the need to take the AP exams in order to get college credit.  Her response was :confused: .  She said she'd have to call the guidance counsellor to get her dc scheduled for the test.  It's too late to sign up for this year, isn't it? 

Oh my.

A friend here, whose homeschooled dd used an online provider for one AP class, asked me two weeks before the exam last year how she was supposed to find a school with a seat for the exam. The online provider never told the students/parents how or when to find a seat :eek: It was their first year ever offering an AP, but still...

It's too late to sign up for this year, isn't it? 

You know, I'm reading the AP Coordinator's Manual, page 17.

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/2015-16-ap-coordinators-manual.pdf

There is a May 13 deadline for ordering alternate exams for late testing. So maybe there is still hope?

ETA: More details on page 20.

Edited by JoanHomeEd
  • Like 1

Our PS school sent a letter home to all parents of students in AP classes saying when and how to register, which had to be done in February. My daughter said one of her classmates forgot and it was really expensive to register this late in the game. Not sure what the final cutoff is, but I would definitely ask the counselor.

• Like 2

Even then, some colleges only allow a certain number of AP classes, or maybe allow it as a class you can skip but don't actually count it towards credits.  Two of my kids took multiple AP classes and were pretty disappointed in how the schools they transferred them to handled them.  

That's a good point.  Dh reminded me that our nephew attended the university this dc wants to attend, and he complained that all his AP courses got him was harder classes as a freshman.  They didn't reduce his overall course load in any way.  I'll mention that to my friend, too.