Menu

Gift/Thank you etiquitte

lispy

Dd(17) will be spending a couple of weeks with relatives this summer.  These are "distant" relatives, so not like grandparents or aunts/uncles.  They were very kind to offer this experience for her, as they live quite far away, in a place that dd would not otherwise have the opportunity to visit. There are many, many options for things to experience while there, both activity/fun wise and experiences related to  her chosen field of study.   So we are very thankful.  We know the family well enough to feel no qualms about her going whatsoever, but we do only see a few hours once a year. 

My question is how/what to gift them for a "thank you".  Obviously,  she has (and we have) verbally thanked them for the generous offer in each conversation we've had while making arrangements.  And she will definitely send a thank you note once she's back.  Beyond that though, I feel like she should probably take a gift and/or send one upon return (possibly both?).  But I have no idea what to send.  I would love suggestions.  (If it matters, they are a couple in their early 30s)

TIA

I would definitely have her bring a gift with her.   Are they overseas, something akin to a foreign exchange student situation?  I know my parents always received gifts from their exchange students - usually something that represented their hometown or country.  It usually gave them something to talk about when they first arrived, a way to start a discussion on who they are/where they are from.  Something to remember them by, as well.

• Like 2

I would have her figure out a personal present asvshe hets to know them better and send it afterward. If nothing springs to mind for her, then a picture of them all together in a nice frame.

Love the ideas already mentioned!

When DS was 17 and went to stay with an aunt and uncle in their 30s (no kids) we also gave them tickets to an event that seemed to fit everyones' interests. It gave them something to do together right away to break the ice.

• Like 2

I was going to mention the tickets (for them to do something together while she's there). And afterwards? Probably a heartfelt thank you note (written by her), something with pictures related (a frame with one pic, a small album with 10-12 pics...depending on how picture friendly they all are), and a gift card to one of their favorite restaurants :)

• Like 2

These are all great!  Thanks---I'm so bad at this.

Are they overseas, something akin to a foreign exchange student situation?  I know my parents always received gifts from their exchange students - usually something that represented their hometown or country. 

They are not overseas.  They are from this area, just moved to the other side of the country .....but there is a local commodity of sorts that I know they'd love to have---I just didn't think of that till I read this.  (Told you I was bad at this;-).  Will definitely do this.

I like the tickets idea that several mentioned also.  I have no idea what they'd like, but dd will easily be able to come up with something---if not now, definitely by the time she's spent time with them.   And, she'd also really enjoy putting together a small album for them. 

These were really good ideas, guys!  Thank you!!!

• Like 4

Glad you got a solution! We traveled across the country last summer and stayed with several families. I read somewhere that you should bring something unique to your area to give to people you stay with. So I brought several jars of homemade loquat jam and thank you cards on the trip. It was a small gesture, but it felt good to have something to give back.

• Like 1