Menu

Online ebook library?

Amy in NH

DH & the kids received Kindles for Christmas and now prefer the format, but the New Hampshire library system has a pitiful collection of ebooks available for borrowing on Overdrive. I am willing to pay for a library card at a library with a good collection of ebooks.  The Kindle Unlimited collection is spotty; a lot of the books I'd like to borrow are not available.  The New York Public Library system has them, but you have to apply for a card in person.  Does anyone know of a decent online ebook library?

For instance:

The Warrior Series by Erin Hunter

anything by Riordan

recent Angie Sage

• Like 1

There was a thread about this a month or two ago. As I recall the Philadelphia library increased their charge, a lot. There is apparently a very good library in NOVA (Fairfax Country, VA).  If I was going to pay for this, it would probably be one of those 2 and probably NOVA. 

• Like 1

I found this blog listing libraries you might be interested in:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2011/09/22/library-ebooks-for-non-residents-where-to-get-ebooks-if-your-library-is-lacking/

I'm interested because I love reading, but that is ridiculous because I have a great free library. Just some personal nuttiness poking through my otherwise normal patina.

There was a thread about this a month or two ago. As I recall the Philadelphia library increased their charge, a lot. There is apparently a very good library in NOVA (Fairfax Country, VA).  If I was going to pay for this, it would probably be one of those 2 and probably NOVA. 

Both are good libraries. I belonged to the Philadelphia Free Library until they increased the fee, but it's actually still a good deal. I now pay for the Fairfax County Virginia library. Browse the ebooks available at both libraries, then decide. I do have a fairly decent local library system so for me the paid subscription is just extra to get those books my library doesn't have or if my library only has one "copy" (aka license). 

You don't have to join to look at the selection. IIRC Philadelphia charges $50 a year for an out of state ecard. Fairfax Co. VA is $27. There are other libraries in other states that also allow out of state residents a paid card, but I'm not sure where there are. This list is out of date (it still lists Philadelphia as charging $35) but it will give you an idea of where to look.

We live in Fairfax Co. VA and it's ebook library is amazing! I think it's a small price if you aren't a resident, but probably very worth it. There have only been very few books they haven't had. They also have auto checkout once your hold is done and delivery onto the kindle is really easy.

• Like 1