Menu

Any apps as awesome as Dragonbox Numbers but for multiplication and division?

Sarah0000

Dragonbox Numbers is excellent because its not rote answering series of addition and subtraction problems, yet DS is doing soooo many problems when he plays this game that he has filled in the gaps in his add/sub facts.

Are there any stealth multiplication and division facts apps?

May not be quite the same, but I buy a few apps for rote drill questions. DS has to do 10 min daily and with different apps it's not so boring. We have operation math, yodel-o(h?), Zeus vs monsters, monster math, math blaster. I admit DS doesn't love drill practice but it's a minor grumble and he's getting faster. And since I allow math games with some shooting (which is a no in our home), he doesn't hate it. We also do some supplemental prodigy on line but that isn't much drill.

Maybe consider times tales DVD, where you can watch the stories for a few weeks and then know the times tables?

• Like 1

I've been searching for something before their algebra game but a a step up from DragonBox Numbers too.  So far I haven't found anything.  I'm also looking for something for after the algebra 12+ game, but no luck there either.  DragonBox just needs to produce more games.  That would solve it, lol.

There's a Numberjacks multiplication app that has a couple of mini games that are okay for exploring multiplication as arrays and as skip counting patterns.  It's no where close to any of the DragonBox apps for awesomeness... but it is free so there's that at least.

• Like 2

For memorizing math facts we use Reflex Math.  They have addition/subtraction, and they have multiplication/division.  It's not very stealthy in that it straight up teaches math fact families, but it does use some nifty games for their rote practice.  Also, once they have done enough problems, they get a "green light" for the day, so it's easy for me to check and also easy for me to reward (sticker on the chart for every green light).  The reporting section is very nice too.  You can do it on the computer or on the iPad.

A couple of years back we used the online site called Sumdog to brush up on number facts. I don't know if there is an app version, but the web version really worked well for us. My daughter loved it and I could get into the parent settings and choose the specific types of maths problems that would be included in the game. I'd tweak it to exactly the things she needed to consolidate.

• Like 1

Slice fractions is a winner here. It is sort of like cut-the-rope but it teaches about fractions in a fun way. Not quite as good as dragonbox, but in the same realm for me.

This is a winner here, too. DD plays it for fun, of her own free will.

There are quite a few cute apps for drilling math facts, but something that really lets you understand the concept of how numbers work? I have not seen any other than the ones mentioned. Maybe we could start a writing campaign to get Dragonbox to create one for multiplication.

Sorry to high jack your thread... but, what age would you start using Dragon Box Numbers? I am on the hunt for some addition and subtraction practice for my soon to be 1st grader. (And also multiplication practice for my oldest)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to high jack your thread... but, what age would you start using Dragon Box Numbers? I am on the hunt for some addition and subtraction practice for my soon to be 1st grader. (And also multiplication practice for my oldest)

Kindergarten to first grade math ability would be prime time. Preschool math ability would sort of grow into it. By second grade math ability, I'd say it is moving toward being primarily a fun distraction with a little bit of fact reinforcement on the side.

Thanks to those who mentioned slice fractions. I'd never heard of it until this thread. I downloaded it yesterday, and Ds loves it!

• Like 1

Even my 2.5 year old enjoys playing with Dragon Box Numbers. It is very intuitive.

Re Slice Fractions, my older DS breezed through the Beast Academy 3D fractions chapter. He attributed it solely to Slice Fractions.

• Like 2

Kindergarten to first grade math ability would be prime time. Preschool math ability would sort of grow into it. By second grade math ability, I'd say it is moving toward being primarily a fun distraction with a little bit of fact reinforcement on the side.

Thanks to those who mentioned slice fractions. I'd never heard of it until this thread. I downloaded it yesterday, and Ds loves it!

I've gone back and forth on trying it so many times...Is it only math facts up to 10? Or 20? Or does it go even higher? Does it reinforce addition/subtraction concepts any better than the tried and true manipulatives? (We have C-rods, but after a some play in Pre-K we don't use them anymore.) I've watched the videos, and still don't have a sense whether it would give my DD6 any more of a conceptual understanding than she already has. (She knows number bonds/math facts within 10, can figure out much higher but needs manipulatives.)

We love Slice Fractions too.

I bought Nooms even it came out and allowed my preschooler to play with it as desired. He has now mastered most of his addition and a good bit of subtraction between the combination of playing this game and our family dinner table math tradition. He's excited to be able to do his own "hard" word problems every night!

I've gone back and forth on trying it so many times...Is it only math facts up to 10? Or 20? Or does it go even higher? Does it reinforce addition/subtraction concepts any better than the tried and true manipulatives? (We have C-rods, but after a some play in Pre-K we don't use them anymore.) I've watched the videos, and still don't have a sense whether it would give my DD6 any more of a conceptual understanding than she already has. (She knows number bonds/math facts within 10, can figure out much higher but needs manipulatives.)

DragonBox Numbers really just works on gaining/adding to math sense with numbers under 20. It's not complex at all, just LOTS of fun. DD is at about a third grade level with her math, but happily plays with the Nooms. She had lost sight of the joy she used to find in math, and I'm now happily letting her play with any and all math she finds fun.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...