Menu

Middle School GREEK

theelfqueen

My rising 6th grader wants to study Classical/Ancient Greek (language) (not very interested in Modern Greek or Latin). Anyone have good recommendations? He's highly gifted in languages so it's okay if it's children's up to  high school level material -- he'll be working self paced and I don't know how long the interest will hold...

We've been using Athenaze which along with the teacher's manual can be purchased from Rainbow Resource. Lukeion schedules one book per year because its students are mostly high school students, while CLRC schedules it 10 chapters per year for middle school students, which I think is a better pace for most kids including high school kids.

We crashed and burned with Athenaze. It was not user friendly enough for us. Elementary Greek -while technically Biblical- was a much better start. After two years, Ds felt much more comfortable with Athenaze. He is thinking of picking it back up in a year or two once Japanese is firmer.

Dd was already in Latin 2 when we started Greek.

We did one year of Elementary Greek, and are now using Athenaze.

We had several options in Dutch too, but most of them were grammar based.

Athenaze is heavy on translations (dd's strength)

Athenaze is not a gentle handholding program.

The Teachermanual gives us what we need.

Except for scheduling the workbook exercises bbetween the textbbook exercises.

This site has quite some resources for Athenaze:

http://www.cornellcollege.edu/classical_studies/ariadne/chapters/index.shtml

• Like 1

One of my sons wanted to study ancient Greek when he was in 6th grade. And 7th grade. I finally realized he was serious and registered him for Lukeion's Greek I course in 8th grade. The instructor, Regan Barr, is fantastic. They use the Athenaze text, so it is a serious, high school level course requiring a commitment of time and effort. My son really enjoys it.  In fact, it was the one class he most wanted to continue in 9th grade and again in 10th grade, where he is now in Greek III.  He will be continuing with Greek IV next year.

I wish I had let him start in 6th or 7th!  And I'm glad he started with a truly excellent teacher who ignited my son's interest in and love for the subject. I don't know what exactly one does with that much ancient Greek, but one of the reasons we home schooled was to allow our children to find/follow their own interests and I'm glad my son has found something he is so into.

We started Greek last year when my kids were 3rd and 5th grade. I believe in an early and gentle approach to language learning. They're already doing MP's Latin Program. We started initially with CAP's Greek Alphabet Codecrackers and then began Elementary Greek at a slow but consistent pace. It took us about 1.5 years to get through the first book. The kids are doing well with that.