Menu

What is the gracious response to ...

In my case, I just tell them that I have a magical teaching certificate and once taught public school. :lol:

In actuality, I like to use love2read's response: "Why not?" It makes them stop and think. Normally what comes back are examples of higher level work. I can then explain about community colleges, tutors, homeschooling classes, etc.

I wouldn't take it personally. In fact, I've always felt that a comment like this reflected the speaker's insecurities. I usually answer something along the lines of "You know, you've been teaching your children since the day they were born. You might be surprised by how qualified you are! I know I was!"

"I don't know what your problem is, but I bet it's hard to pronounce!" :lol:

Just Kidding!

There are a LOT of great ideas on here.

I usually treat it as though they were truly interested. I can get really enthused on the topic of homeschooling. They either listen interestedly, or :leaving:they are mumbling a response and trying to change the subject. Either way, I'm showing my enthusiasm and confidence. ;)

When people make these type of comments to me, I've learned to respond with a few lines and a smile then pass that bean dip.

1. I see..

2. You don't say.

3. I hear you.

4. I understand.

5. Hummm.

6. Wow.

7. Oh my.

8. For really rude people, I either ignore them or ask them....Could you repeat that over and over until they give up. They end up thinking I can't hear or actually hear what they are saying themselves.

"Oh, you homeschool? I wouldn't think that I know enough to homeschool."

All of my immediate thoughts were not good. I don't think on my feet well. All I could think of was either, "Oh, well I do know enough, thanks," or "You really don't have to know that much," which somehow didn't seem right either. :lol:

I muttered something about learning along with the kids. What is an answer that conveys both the fact that you don't have to know everything, while still making homeschooling sound like a good academic choice, and without coming off as a snob in the process? Know what I mean?

Tutors....easy answer.:001_smile:

At the risk of being a thread hog (my third comment in a row here), I had to say something here. My children's pediatrician said something similar to me back when my oldest was in first grade! She said "I don't know how you can homeschool. I mean, I'm a doctor and I can't even help my daughter with her high school Chemistry. What are you going to do about that?" :confused::confused::confused:

We, um, don't see her anymore, by the way.

"What I don't know, I research" ;)

"I do as many teachers do, use a manual, teach what I know, research what I don't know, take additional courses myself via various means, etc."

"Education is continual; no one person knows everything, but we all have the potential of learning nearly anything."

"What I don't know, I learn, and I pass that on to my children. Education is teaching a child to continually learn, how to find the information they need, and how to apply it."

Then lastly....if they get beyond me to quickly, there are video teachers, community college classes, and co-ops ;)

Edited by mommaduck

At the risk of being a thread hog (my third comment in a row here), I had to say something here. My children's pediatrician said something similar to me back when my oldest was in first grade! She said "I don't know how you can homeschool. I mean, I'm a doctor and I can't even help my daughter with her high school Chemistry. What are you going to do about that?" :confused::confused::confused:

We, um, don't see her anymore, by the way.

:lol::lol::lol:

At the risk of being a thread hog (my third comment in a row here), I had to say something here. My children's pediatrician said something similar to me back when my oldest was in first grade! She said "I don't know how you can homeschool. I mean, I'm a doctor and I can't even help my daughter with her high school Chemistry. What are you going to do about that?" :confused:

That is really amazing and arrogant, not many doctors with that kind of nerve..but I would have smiled and said ...."Oh! Dual enrollment!!"

Actually, if it were me personally, I'd say "I'm going to have a blast teaching it after majoring in it for my Bachelor's!"

Tara

I've had a lot of people say this to me, along with "I couldn't handle being home with my kids all day." I've never taken it personally -- a lot of people do think you need to officially "be a teacher" to be a teacher. They don't realize that they *are* teachers. So I just tell them, "You probably know more than you think you do." After all, we don't suddenly -- hopefully! :D -- turn stupid when our kids start going to pre-school or kindergarten.

That is really amazing and arrogant, not many doctors with that kind of nerve..but I would have smiled and said ...."Oh! Dual enrollment!!"

Yeah well she was the same ped who told me that my breast milk wasn't rich enough to nourish my PREEMIE daughter because she wasn't gaining weight fast enough. This was after I had nursed my ds who weighed 20 pounds when he was 4 months old! Anyway, another pediatrician finally figured out that the problem was that my dd's mouth was very tiny and my breast not-quite-so and that she wasn't getting enough. I started pumping and giving her a tiny bottle nipple and she was totally fine!

But that first doctor almost convinced me to stop nursing because I thought there was something wrong with my milk!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

How about:

Well, I wouldn't think that you would either.

ETA: Well, duh... I didn't read to the end of your message. You wanted something polite. I tend to go for blunt.

Edited by Audrey
Oh-duh moment