Menu

LDS General Conference Thread

maize

New relief effort "I Was a Stranger" --encouraging all to reach out to any refugees and displaced people in our communities to offer whatever support we are able.

Strong reminder that attending to the temporal needs of others is the essence of faith and religious devotion.

This is huge and I am so excited to see the Relief Society living up to its name.

• Like 6

the reaching out reminded me of previous efforts towards building zion.  . .  there were no poor among them.

dfil grew up in a stake that during the depression had over 20% unemployment. His father (dh's gf) was a bishop in that stake.  this principle was seriously practiced.  he said no one worried about themselves because while they were worrying about others someone else was worrying about them.  and the spirit was very strong in that stake during that time.

• Like 1

I woke up early today thinking about the choir and what an amazing and unique thing it was. Many of the women singing were not native English speakers (some don't speak much English at all) and it would have been much more difficult than usual to teach the songs to such a large and diverse group of women. The women must have worked hard to learn the songs. In addition to that, the choir organizers probably needed to include women and girls from a larger geographic area than usual which would have made practices more difficult to coordinate. Since many of the women are converts with a wide variety of family support for their conversions and with a wide variety of socioeconomic challenges, I imagine that it would have been very difficult for many of them to even go to the practices, much less to go often enough that they were able to learn the songs well.

I am thinking that there was a great deal of sacrifice involved in that choir singing last night and I am so grateful that the women singing felt that creating such a diverse choir was worth what must have been significant hurdles.

• Like 3

I really, really loved the choir. I thought I could hear a hint of foreign accent in the singing, primarily in the exceptionally clear enunciation :)

I'm planning to turn the session back on this morning, once I finish listening to the Messiah. Church isn't until 1:00 so I have time. And I need something to listen to while I tackle the dishes piled up in the kitchen--goes along with feeding the hungry.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Is anyone doing something conference-related this week for FHE? I need some inspiration  :tongue_smilie:

Well, I doubt this is what you're looking for, but here's the new website for helping refugees.  www.lds.org/refugees

I know you don't have the time or energy to deal with volunteering or anything like that right now, but it might be something you could talk about from FHE.

• Like 2

Who is watching today? I'm at the dr. with ds3 but my older kids keep texting me little comments on the afternoon session :)

I'm trying to.  My favorite so far was the talk Elder Hallstrom gave this morning about remembering our eternal identity.

• Like 1

Elder Bednar scared my son.  He was talking about being baptized by fire and my littlest, who will be 8 in June, jumped up and looked at me in terror and said, "They're going to put me in fire when they baptize me?"  I assured him baptism by fire is not literal and he'll be dunked under water like he thought.

• Like 9

Elder Bednar scared my son. He was talking about being baptized by fire and my littlest, who will be 8 in June, jumped up and looked at me in terror and said, "They're going to put me in fire when they baptize me?" I assured him baptism by fire is not literal and he'll be dunked under water like he thought.

Oh funny! Poor kid, glad you were there to reassure him!

I loved the male choir member who was crying during Come Thou Fount. Especially after Elder Eyring's talk about how much the speaker and choir members want us to feel the Spirit and learn from their messages. It was really special and he was very sweet.

• Like 2

I got more out of this morning's for some reason. Probably fewer distractions. I was alone with a happy baby while the girls played outside and Dh slept after his night shift. This afternoon the baby was cranky and all the girls decided to join and watch. I'll need to go back and reread them all though.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 1

Every single talk hit spot on for me. Their comments seemed very direct and concise.

Elder Bednar, as usual, goes so deep I know I will gain much more from his words when I read them or watch him again and again.

I have found that due to my brain cells dying from having had too many emergency surgeries, I can't keep up with taking notes, focusing on what they're saying and gaining the benefit from it. So while I did take a lot of notes, sometimes I just listened.

Family meetings, we had one about a month ago with four of our children, 2 are adults, and it helped so much to hear their points of view at the same time.(Elder Ballard)

Jairo Massagardi's testimony...I love to hear about others' experiences with trying to understand why America, why Joseph Smith, etc.

All of it...all of it..

I missed the Women's Conference but the girls and I have been catching up on it. The videos wouldn't load so I haven't seen the choir yet.

We shed tears when watching Elder Andersen's talk about when he was in Africa.

• Like 2

I liked that there were lots of quotes from (and not just stories about) people all over the world, and women in church history.  I especially liked Steven E. Snow's talk.

Also, I think this is the first time a woman has spoken second (well, second on Saturday- a woman obviously spoke first in the last week's session).

• Like 2

We watched the am and pm sessions today, and we're currently trying to watch the Priesthood session. BYUTv is carrying it on an hour delay, MormonChannel keeps bumping us, and now we're trying to connect the iPad to the tv.  My favorite talks today have been Elder Eyring's, Elder Renlund's, Elder Rasband's, and Elder Andersen's. I'm on my 3rd page of notes, which is rare, so this has been a fabulous conference.

My dh and I have been talking about how much subtext has been going on within the conference addresses.

• Like 1

I need trivia questions for an online extended family conference trivia game after this session. Anyone want to help me? Questions for little kids (like what color were the tulips behind the podium) and for older kids/adults.

So now comes the part where I find myself compulsively checking every couple of hours to see if the talks are available to print yet ....

Fastest so far was last April, I think it was, when they were posted Tuesday morning.

• Like 1