Menu

Can I chew this?

Daria

Fractured my knee. I told the doctor that I can't swallow pills but I don't think she believed me

I have a prescription for percocet, and am wondering if I should bother filling it.

Is there something else I could ask for? I have never taken a prescription painkiller before.

I would ask the pharmacist, they may be able to give you a different formulation or call the doc to change the prescription.

I'm not sure about Percocet in particular, but some meds like that are time release and people chew them in order to get an immediate high.

Internet tells me it doesn't work well and I should snort it instead, which makes me think the poster who wrote that had different priorities than I do.

The reason it tells you that it doesn't work well is because it is not time release.  But I think you will get a faster hit of the medicine even if it doesn't make you high, simply because it is designed to be broken down in your stomach. 

• Like 1

The only doctors that I have seen were the E.R. Physicians. To make it more complicated, I am about 4?hours from home on a work trip. I probably won't be able to fill I until i am home tomorrow. So I'd be asking the pharmacist to call an out of state E.R. On Easter. Realistic?

What about Tylenol with Codeine?  I have some of that at home.  It's about 2 years old, prescribed for my son when he had sinus surgery?  

Could I use that?  Is 2 years old too old?  Is it crushable?  

How does Tylenol with Codeine compare Percocet and Motrin?  In the middle?  

I totally get that it's a hassle to talk to the docs or pharmacist, but I honestly think it's a really bad idea to be getting this type of advice from a message board. Like, if someone said go ahead and crush up the narcotics, without knowing what dosage and types of pills you have (and even if they did know that), and then you had some type of bad reaction...I just really think you need the prescriber or pharmacists to tell you what to do. Why can't you call the ER doc now and have them revise the order? I do know it's better insurance-wise to get the prescription changed before you fill it, rather than after the fact. But, when I've had prescriptions filled at Walgreens or CVS it's never been any trouble to talk to the pharmacist on duty.

Sorry you're in pain and having this hassle. :(

• Like 3

compounding pharmacies can make medications in a variety of formulations - liquids, flavoured chewables, transdermals etc. Search for a 'compounding pharmacy' in your area. IME, they will talk to you over the phone about what's possible. Then you just have to go in with your scrip. 

They are more expensive but they can work magic. I use them for compounding vet meds for my pets all the time & I know they do tons of children, cancer & aids patients etc who can't handle certain formats of meds. 

I think you are right, but I think they should be able to fax an RX in.

At the hospital Las night they said all they could do was write it and that I should walk 3 blocks on crutches tons CVS at 3 a.m. And wait for it to be filled.

I think you are right, but I think they should be able to fax an RX in.

No, at least not in CA. They have to be handwritten in triplicate or printed on special paper and carried in. A few EMR companies offer an encrypted electronic option, but it's not widely used yet.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 1

I really don't understand why hospitals can't give you painkillers to take home and tied you over.

After I begged they let me have 1 pill of ibuprofen to go.

It has to do with licensing.  Retail pharmacies have different licenses than hospitals have.  Therefore hospitals cannot operate as retail pharmacies.  They can administer medication while you are there.  Did you have a driver or someone with you?  If you didn't they would have been hesitant to send you out the door with percocet on board.

I hope the ibuprofen was helpful.  It often works as well on pain...depending on the type of pain.

I am home!

The ibuprofen was helpful. I think I might end up just needing that, but two doses (one shot in the E.R. Amd one pill I saved for the bus ride home) was not sufficient for the time period.

They would have given me Percocet or something else in the E.R. But I didn't feel safe leaving the hospital drugged given the circumstances. I think the one they gave me was probably recorded as taken at the E.R., because I got the impression it was breaking the rules.

I get why they can't stock/sell percocet. I am less clear why they can't stock sell ibuprofen.