Menu

A few hours around Dulles Airport

Amira

I'm dropping a friend off at an appointment in a few days near Dulles Airport and I need something to pass the time while I'm waiting for her rather than driving back home. I'd like to see some historical sites around there and since the weather will be lovely, I'd like to be outdoors. 

If you're familiar with that area, would Frying Pan Farm be worth visiting without children?  What about Herndon?  What else you could recommend?

Frying Pan is cool... It's not the sort of thing I've ever done without kids though. I don't know Herndon, but Reston actually has a sort of cute city center. I mean, it's not anything special, but if you wanted to talk a walk outside then sit in a cafe or something for a bit, that would be the place I'd probably go. It's not super super close to Dulles though. There's a park out there that I've heard has nice trails but I can't remember which one...

• Like 2

The Sully Plantation is interesting.  It does cost to tour the house, but the grounds are free.  It's right by the airport. 

We recently went to the Manassas/Bull Run Battlefield - not too far from there, and lots of opportunity for walking/driving tours.

We have gone to the Ellanor C. Lawrence Park for football, but it looks like it has some nice walking paths and a little lake - a place I have intended to explore a little more but just haven't: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/eclawrence/

• Like 1

Frying pan is fun.

It is set up like a 1930s working farm. You can walk through barns and by pastures. Depending on day of week they have wagon rides. There is also a playground. There is a small "country store" near the playground where you might find treats for the kids if you desire.

Sully is closer so if you have to be closer d go there, but frying pan is close too. If the weather doesn't cooperate Udvar Hazy is the place to go.

• Like 1

Not Herndon. It's just a little suburban town (used to be hicksville, now it's a nice suburban town). I graduated from Herndon High. :)

Reston Town Center is a lovely outside "mall" very upscale with great restaurants, a movie theater, shopping. Reston is much nicer than Herndon. (15 min from Dulles) (I grew up in Reston, and spent lots of time there ever since as my mom lived there until recent years.)

Dulles Town Center is not far from Dulles -- it's similar to Reston Town Center, but maybe not as cool as Reston, but it's a bit closer to the airport. 

The Hazy Air & Space Museum there near the airport is inside, but very, very cool. It's really large, so plenty of space to get the wiggles out. If weather is sketchy, definitely go there! There's a very cool space-craft simulator ride (maybe two), an IMAX theater, and just lots of cool stuff to look at. 

Great Falls Park (VA side!) is not too far from Dulles, and it would be a great place to do a little hiking and enjoy the outdoors. 

Reston Town Center is pretty much on your way from Dulles to Great Falls Park. You could stop at RTC for a meal if you have time. 

• Like 1

Adding on, if you have the time, go to Frying Pan first. Visit all the animals climb on the playground etc. Then go to Reston town center. If you go to the western side (Reston pkwy being the east side) of the town center there's a cool public art installation. It looks like huts made from willow. You can run in and out of it. There's a fountain are nearby. And on the corner of the street next to the public art is Grace art gallery (greater Reston art center). They have small exhibits and at times buckets to borrow with supplies for kids to explore a particular style.

I think all that should kill some time

ETA kill and limit the possibility of getting caught in traffic. Travel to Great Falls may or may not be problematic (heavily traveled windy two lane roads) even in heavy traffic I can get to Dulles quickly from Reston. With Great Falls you add in a little distance RT 7 and the two lane stuff and the gives unpredictability.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 2

Seconding that you are safe to travel back/forth from Reston Town Center to the airport because it is located along the "Dulles Access Road" aka 267/Toll Road. (There is no tolls if you are coming/going from the airport, and those lanes are separate from the tolled road that is for general use. So, there are nearly NEVER delays on the access road.) RTC is less than 5 min/1 mile off the Dulles Access/toll road, just a few lights, not more than 5 min in any traffic unless there is a bizarre accident, in which case you can re-route easily to another exit. I've driven Reston to Dulles hundreds of times in all times of day/traffic. We allow 30 min if we're getting on a plane. 20 min for any other purpose. I've never had a traffic delay, ever, on the Dulles Access Road. That's why it exists. :) All those DC politicians don't want to miss their flights, lol.

And, yes, Great Falls will run risks with traffic if it is near a rush hour. (6:30A-9A or 3:30P-7P to be safe). If you're worried about missing a flight, don't go to Great Falls. If the world won't end if you run 30 min late, then Great Falls is alright. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 1

We did frying pan farm last summer out of nostalgia. The kids and I went there a lot when they were little and we really enjoyed it, but this time was just meh. Maybe it would be okay if it was a first time though.

I think Sully Plantation is better on the weekends or when they have outside activities as well. It was fairly dead when we went during the week. I don't find it that great.

Reston Town Center is shops and restaurants.

You didn't say how long you had. Manassas Battlefield would be my pick for historical sites, but it's half hour away. Otherwise I'd go to the Air and Space Museum. We like that one too.

• Like 1

The NRA museum is not far from Dulles and it's really cool!

Yes not far physically. However far enough from the airport access highway that any unpredictability in Northern Virginia traffic could really impact getting there or getting back. I don't think the OP mentioned times of travel. I would guess no road construction middle of the night travel would be 25 minutes, normal midday 35 minutes, good rush hour 45-50, add in road construction or an accident or both and time estimates could double.

• Like 1