Menu

What do YOU use for math drill?

Rebecca

I am needing to really drill and cement math facts with my eight year old. He is an auditory learner- so I thought chanting facts thru flash cards or using the audio memory songs cd?

What is your favorite approach?

Thanks!

Rebecca

We use quarter mile math (computer CD). My ds seems to enjoy it-at least he does not complain.

Holly

Abeka has the best math flashcards IMO. They have each entire fact family, even if that means having both a "2+3" and a "3+2" card.

For math drills, we use those flashcards or just math fact families that I've printed out. For musical math drill, I ordered math songs from Rainbow Resources for subtraction, addition, multiplication, and division. They come w/ a workbook and a CD, and are about $10 - $12 ea. They come in classical music, "kiddy" music, or a more hip-hop sound and are published by AudioMemory.

What are wrap ups?

We play muggins math Knock-out which is our new favorite math game. We also skip count forward and backward by every number 2-12 - we toss a bean bag back and forth and take turns. We have to have a moderator, because sometime I get them wrong ;) . We play addition and subtraction war, 21, and other such games.

Not auditory, but Math-It has been successful with all of my kids.

That's what we used, too. I wrote about our experience with Math-It HERE. It only takes a few minutes to do the card games. We went on to learn the rest of the material presented in the books; I'd say we spent about 15 minutes a day on it.