Menu

Calling any Vegans

I have been doing some research of late and (much to my DH's dismay) am really considering switching my family to a vegan diet. My littlest one and my oldest will have no problems, however....my middle child lives on Mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and all things unhealthy. My DH is concerned about the budget aspect of this. Honestly, how hard is this on the budget? I am trying to convince him that if we stop buying meat and all processed food, it will not be any more expensive. Am I kidding myself? What are some of your favorite recipes? Any tips on how to re train my picky eater? How hard is it to stick to? I want to hear the good the bad and the ugly. TIA! :001_smile:

We switched to vegetarian a few months back ( I was vegan but have added eggs a few times a week for the lutien) and my food bill pretty much stayed the same. We eat alot of oats, whole wheat bread, natural peanut butter, beans, lentils, rice, potatoes and veggies with some fruit thrown in. The kids do eat cheese and drink milk, which can get pricey. A good site with recipes is www.fatfreevegan.com This site has a wondeful mac and cheeze recipe that my kids love.

Beans and brown rice don't cost much at all.:001_smile: Oats are relatively cheap as is pasta, though the the whole wheat or gluten-free kind is much more expensive.

Homemade soup goes a long way, though. So does vegan chili. Vegetable stews can serve a lot of people. Cabbage meals are delicious, nutritious, and cheap!

Soy milk, tofu, soy yogurt and soy "meat" products--those can be expensive. Rice milk isn't exactly cheap. Raw nuts and seeds are very good for you. Just eat small amounts to keep the fat and price down.:001_smile:

Fresh and frozen veggies cost money, but those aren't just for vegans or vegetarians. Everybody should be eating as many fruits and vegs. as possible. Buying fruits and vegetables that are in season ( bag apples in fall) helps the budget.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes and squashes aren't too pricey. If you have the space, time and energy you can plant your own victory garden, too.

I don't think vegan diets have to be costly. Just like conventional foods, it's the processed, convenience or specialty items that rack up the grocery bill.

When dh and I were students we still were able to maintain a vegan diet with frugal choices. My little sister and her fiance (animal activist extraordinaires;)) are doing the same thing now.

Try it for a short time--say three weeks--and see how it goes:001_smile:

There are lots of books and websites to get you started.

Best wishes

I seriously considered going veggie several years ago, but my poor husband was afraid he was going to starve! But I was very worried about the state of our meat industry and I really, really believe that the way the animals are cared for before they reach our table is just barbaric.

So we compromised.

We eat all organic meat, poultry, and eggs.

That way, he gets to eat meat and I know that it wasn't injected with hormones and forced to live in terrible conditions before it was slaughtered.

If you're interested in researching it, look for organic farms near you. If you have a large enough freezer, you can really save money buying a 1/4 of a cow. And they'll be happy to divide it up however you would like and ours wraps it, too. Ready to pop into the freezer.

We pay around $1.00 more for organic eggs vs. regular, and around $1.50 per gallon more for organic milk vs. regular.

We buy alot of local produce and that's very inexpensive. I went to our local farmer's market a few days ago and came home with 3 bags worth of stuff for less than $15 (that was for homegrown lima beans, potatoes, onions, tomatoes and corn .. yum!!!)

As far as encouraging a picky eater, serve one meal and that's it. They eat it or they go hungry. It's not up for debate and you're not a short-order cook.

Thanks! The one issue I'm seeing is that a lot of recipes use soy products. My oldest is very allergic to soy (rash and swelling of his throat). Is there an alternative? I know there is Almond milk, but how about a cheese substitute? We also all love tofu, even Zach, but after eating it and his getting hives, I realized it was soy based.... DUH! Anyway, I'll keep looking.

Thanks! The one issue I'm seeing is that a lot of recipes use soy products. My oldest is very allergic to soy (rash and swelling of his throat). Is there an alternative? I know there is Almond milk, but how about a cheese substitute? We also all love tofu, even Zach, but after eating it and his getting hives, I realized it was soy based.... DUH! Anyway, I'll keep looking.

We don't eat any soy products at all. We eat beans, lentil, nuts and seeds instead and we are getting plenty of protein. Even veggies and fruit have some protein. The link I posted above has some recipes for vegan cheeze sauce that is made out of nutritional yeast and other non-soy ingriedents. There are non-soy milk alternatives such as rice milk.

I agree with the above poster that convienence foods, even veggie ones, can wreck your food budget. We eat alot of whole grains, which are very cheap and add to this beans or lentils, cooked from dry, and you have a meal for just a few dollars.

Now instead of spending a ton on meat, I put that money towards fresh fruits and veggies.

I am trying to convince him that if we stop buying meat and all processed food, it will not be any more expensive. Am I kidding myself?

I have never bought meat, so I can't speak to how much that costs. All I can say is that, for my family of five, my food budget is $120 a week. Of course, buying whole foods is way less expensive than buying processed foods. I buy flour, lentils, chickpeas, and rice in 50# bags, and whole grains are usually the staple of our meals.

What are some of your favorite recipes?

My family loves spinach enchiladas, stir fry, tostadas, lentil soup, spaghetti, Indian food, Ethiopian food, chili, etc. We eat like everyone else, just without the animal products. And we rarely use animal-product-replacements, like soy cheese or veggie burgers.

Any tips on how to re train my picky eater?

If you only have available certain foods, he'll have to learn to eat them, right? I do NOT recommend starting out with a bunch of fakie meat-and-dairy replacements to "ease the transition," because then you have substituted one expensive, unhealthy item for another.

How hard is it to stick to?

I am vegan mostly for ethical reasons, so it's not hard for me at all.

I think you will be surprised at how quickly you adjust.

Tara

My oldest is very allergic to soy (rash and swelling of his throat). Is there an alternative? I know there is Almond milk, but how about a cheese substitute?

My daughter is allergic to soy, also. There are three dairy-free, soy-free cheese that I have found. One is called Rice (yep, Rice) and it's made by Galaxy Nutritional Foods. I don't remember the names of the others, but if you have a large health food store nearby, the should carry at least one brand.

Also, beware, because many almond milks have soy lecithin in them. We loved Almond Breeze (the best almond milk, imo) but we had to switch after dd was diagnosed because it has soy lecithin in it. Pacific brand Organic (ONLY the organic) does not have soy in it. Neither does Imagine brand (comes in a 64-oz aseptic container), and that has the plus of having B-12 in it. The downside is that it tastes revolting.

We have found that being soy-free vegans is not very hard. We just stick to a whole-foods diet. Two companies I have found that make vegan, soy-free snack items are Enjoy Life and Kinnikinnick.

Tara

I have been a vegetarian for about 24 yrs. and 2 of my 5 children are vegetarian. (We eat much more vegan than vegetarian but since we eat pizza every weekend, I say vegetarian.)

All who have posted seem to do much better economically than I do. We eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and we eat very clean- staying away from most foods that cannot be indentified as natural. However, we do go to Whole Foods and feed our addiction for the vegan chicken salad and vegan crab cakes. We eat Ezekial breads, lots of Indian food, hummus is in our daily diet and I eat a decent amount of tofu, seitan ,tempeh and Quinoa. I think it's very possible to eat a vegan diet on a budget and I know I could do much better in the money department but I love ingredients. I say you should give it a good try and I think if you take a few cues from those here that do well in the $ department, you'll do great. There is an abundance of good websites to find inexpensive vegan recipes. I like http://www.veganyumyum.com. Good luck :)

I believe whole grains would refer to grains that have not been stripped. Quinoa is a whole grain. Bulgar and Oats are,too. When you buy "whole wheat" bread, check the ingredients. They often include high fructose corn syrup and lots of preservatives. Check out Ezekial breads and Food for Life.

. . . The only reason I can imagine that going vegan would end up costing a family more than being omnivores is if you buy a bunch of processed or specialty foods.

I shop mostly at the plain old grocery store and spend less than the national average weekly. Our primary sources of protein are bean/grain combinations, and I cook a fair amount from scratch.

Our food is pretty recognizable and "normal," just meat free. (Although the kids and I are vegan, my husband does eat dairy and isn't picky about where his sugar comes from.) A typical week's worth of menus would include pasta, burritos/nachos, curried chickpeas, hummus and couscous in pitas, baked potatoes with toppings, etc.

It's just not a big deal.

when you say you include a lot of 'whole grains' in your diet....what does that mean? Like eating whole peices of wheat?

No, it just means eating grains that haven't been refined. White bread is a refined grain. Little packets of instant oatmeal is a refined grain. White rice is a refined grain. Whole wheat bread (homemade, not necessarily Wonder Whole Wheat or whatever), old-fashioned oatmeal, and brown rice are whole grains.

And where can you buy 50 pound bags of beans and lentils?

I have two sources. There is a bulk-foods store in my town where I order some of my stuff, and I am also part of a buying co-op (ours is part of United Buying Clubs). It can be a big investment up front, but it's cheaper in the long run, and you never run into "not having something to eat." There have been lean times in our family where I have been spent $20 at the grocery for some fresh fruit and veggies for my kids and we have spent the week eating from my rice, lentil, and garbanzo bean stashes.

Making your own bread is another cheap, healthy, easy thing to do. I don't have a bread machine. I mix in my Kitchen Aid and bake in the oven.

Tara

Okay sorry, another question. What about a multiviatmin? Do you take one? How about for your kids? What should I specifically be looking for in one? Any viatamins that you lack in a vegan diet?

A well-planned vegan diet can meet all your nutritional needs except for B-12. I believe that, but I also know that we are a somewhat busy family with some picky kids, so I take (and give my kids) a multi-vitamin just for some added insurance. Some people really disagree with that, and feel strongly that vitamins are detrimental. YMMV. However, for the B-12, you simply can't get it from plant foods. You can use fortified foods or you can take a supplement. I take a multivitamin with B-12 in it every day. So do my kids. My husband, who does not take a multivitamin, takes a B-12 supplement every other day.

I know that people like to point to the B-12 thing and say that it's proof that a vegan diet is not healthy, but I always point out to them that lots of non-vegan foods are fortified, too.

Most vitamins are not vegan. They might have gelatin, carmine/cochineal, or other non-vegan ingredients in them. My kids take Veg Life Vegan Kids multiple and I take Now brand Daily Vites.

I spend a decent amount on vitamins/supplements. My kids take vitamins, probiotics, and Omega-3 supplements. I probably spend about $35 a month on supplements. But, my kids don't get sick ...

A good resource for vegan information from both an ethical and a nutritional standpoint is Food for Thought.

Tara

For us, we mostly avoid analogs (meat and dairy substitutes). I do on occasion (rare) buy a vegan "cheeze" but not often because it isn't a whole food. We use almond milk that I make at home- 1 cup almonds and 5 cups water, blend and strain. Sweeten if desired and add a pinch of sea salt if desired. Mostly we use it for cooking rather than drinking and I often don't strain it if it is for cooking. No substitute for tofu that I know of- sorry. There is a book called the Un-cheese cookbook. I got it from the library. It has several recipes for cheeze. If it has soy milk, I change it out, but other than that, I don't have hardly any recipes that call for soy because we don't use much of it. I focus on the beans, grains, and veggies.

I just want to add that Quinoa is a source of all essential amino acids, high in protein, versatile and just overall, a great vegan choice. For those who don't like soy, you may like Seitan. The texture is more "meaty" and it tastes very good.Also, I have found that if I freeze my tofu for a few days before cooking with it, it's got a chewier texture.

Okay sorry, another question. What about a multiviatmin? Do you take one? How about for your kids? What should I specifically be looking for in one? Any viatamins that you lack in a vegan diet?

As someone else said, in theory a good vegan diet provides everything a person needs. The only one that may be a problem is B-12 (although many people argue that simply swallowing the bacteria that naturally occur in our mouths provides enough). Other things people worry about that can be a bit scarce if you aren't eating well are calcium and iron. My kids always drank soy/rice milk that was fortitifed with all of those things, though. So, up until fairly recently, none of us took vitamins.

However, my daughter is now away at school and is not eating anything like a well-planned diet. So, I do encourage her to take a multivitamin, and she does so when she remembers. (Sigh.) She hates swallowing pills, so she takes a children's chewable. I don't remember the brand, but they're shaped like animals and have cartoon-ish animals on the label. Silly, but it works.

My son doesn't take vitamins in pill form. However (and I know this won't do you any good since you have one that can't do soy), a couple of years ago we started drinking smoothies every morning that I make with protein powder that includes all kinds of vitamins (Spiru-Tein). This is my kid who doesn't like most beans, and I was looking for a way to get more concentrated protein into him. It just so happens that it provides a nice safety net for the vitamin thing, too.

However, my daughter is now away at school and is not eating anything like a well-planned diet. So, I do encourage her to take a multivitamin, and she does so when she remembers. (Sigh.) She hates swallowing pills, so she takes a children's chewable. I don't remember the brand, but they're shaped like animals and have cartoon-ish animals on the label. Silly, but it works.

My son doesn't take vitamins in pill form. However (and I know this won't do you any good since you have one that can't do soy), a couple of years ago we started drinking smoothies every morning that I make with protein powder that includes all kinds of vitamins (Spiru-Tein). This is my kid who doesn't like most beans, and I was looking for a way to get more concentrated protein into him. It just so happens that it provides a nice safety net for the vitamin thing, too.

Jenny, I found some adult gummy vitamins at Target. Dd LOVES them and takes them every single day. Which is quite a switch, let me tell you. Used to be a bottle of vitamins would last a year; these last a month like they were intended to. They aren't chalky like Flintstones, but yummy like, well, gummy bears.

Jenny, I found some adult gummy vitamins at Target. Dd LOVES them and takes them every single day. Which is quite a switch, let me tell you. Used to be a bottle of vitamins would last a year; these last a month like they were intended to. They aren't chalky like Flintstones, but yummy like, well, gummy bears.

Those did look interesting. I looked up the ingredients, though, and they are not suitable for vegans (gelatin and sugar).

Thanks for the idea, though! It would be nice to find something she'd take more regularly.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I am starting today. I went grocery shopping and bought no meat and lots of beans, brown rice, lentils, steel cut oats, flax seed, and TONS of fresh fruits and veggies. My DH agreed to it IF once a week I make chicken breast. So, he isn't going totally vegan, but I am. I won't eat the chicken on the nights I make it. I am not doing dairy or letting the kids do dairy, but he won't totally give up cheese. Mozzerella he is keeping in his diet. I will probably let the boys have that on rare occasions for a treat, but am going to keep dairy out of their daily diets too. I am hoping that once we start eating like this the requested chicken once a week will dwindle too.

The only other times we will allow ourselves meat is going to other peoples home. I don't want to request a special diet if we've been invited over to someones house, so on the rare occasions (once every 3ish months) we get invited over, we will eat what they cook.

Congratulations! It sounds like you did some great shopping. Good luck with your new venture!

I did want to say something about not wanting to request special meals from people. I don't know what your reasons are for going vegan (ethical or health), but I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to tell people that your son can't eat soy, right? Choosing not to eat animals products is no less a valid reason to avoid them than an allergy is. It may not have immediate consequences like eating something you're allergic to would, but it still deserves respect.

I avoided going vegan for many years because I believed that it would complicate my life and make social situations difficult or awkward. I have found, however, that it doesn't. When I am invited to someone's home, I remind (or inform) them that I am vegan. I offer to bring my own main dish or give them recipe suggestions. No one that I know would dream of trying to feed me animal products once they know I am vegan.

I know that a lot of new vegans feel self-conscious about their choice and feel that their diet inconveniences others. You don't need to feel this way. If other people have issues with veganism, those are their issues. You are entitled to eat the way that you feel is right for your family and for the animals without anyone making you feel bad about it or making yourself feel bad. And, imo, saying, "I am vegan but I will eat meat because I don't want to put other people out" trivializes veganism and contributes to the idea that veganism is inconvenient.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad. Quite the opposite, I am trying to make you feel good about your choice and help you legitimize your choice. Best wishes to you.

Tara

Congratulations! It sounds like you did some great shopping. Good luck with your new venture!

I did want to say something about not wanting to request special meals from people. I don't know what your reasons are for going vegan (ethical or health), but I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to tell people that your son can't eat soy, right? Choosing not to eat animals products is no less a valid reason to avoid them than an allergy is. It may not have immediate consequences like eating something you're allergic to would, but it still deserves respect.

I avoided going vegan for many years because I believed that it would complicate my life and make social situations difficult or awkward. I have found, however, that it doesn't. When I am invited to someone's home, I remind (or inform) them that I am vegan. I offer to bring my own main dish or give them recipe suggestions. No one that I know would dream of trying to feed me animal products once they know I am vegan.

I know that a lot of new vegans feel self-conscious about their choice and feel that their diet inconveniences others. You don't need to feel this way. If other people have issues with veganism, those are their issues. You are entitled to eat the way that you feel is right for your family and for the animals without anyone making you feel bad about it or making yourself feel bad. And, imo, saying, "I am vegan but I will eat meat because I don't want to put other people out" trivializes veganism and contributes to the idea that veganism is inconvenient.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad. Quite the opposite, I am trying to make you feel good about your choice and help you legitimize your choice. Best wishes to you.

Tara

:iagree: Well said, Liberator.

I have not eaten meat since 1988 and although, at times, I have come across a person here or there that has acted "put out", the majority of people understand and will respect your beliefs. Stand by them and don't be apologetic. Sometimes people are just curious or are just not sure what to eat if you don't include meat but don't compromise your decisions, they are just as important as everyone elses.

We've been vegan for 6 or 7 years (?) now. No meat, dairy, oils, fats.

How do you stay healthy without consuming oils? Fat soluble vitamins have to come from somewhere. Or do you mean you eat foods that contain oils, but don't add extra?

Also, IMO, it's easier to go cold turkey. Your tastes will adjust faster that way. It's confusing to the taste buds, IMO, to try to ease into it. And for the dc and dh.

We're not vegetarian, but eat that way quite a bit. My dh went from being a "meat every day" kind of man to seeing nuts as an acceptable substitute. According to him, any vegetarian meal will be improved by sprinkling slivered almonds on it.

:)

Rosie