Menu

Help me come up with a name for...

1:1 time with each of my kids. I am trying out a new rhythm in which I dedicate an hour to sitting down with each kids for individual instruction rather than fitting back and forth throughout the day and I would like to come up with a phrase for it. I know my oldest will dislike hot seat, 1;1 and mom time are lackluster. What says the hive?

Ask the kids what they want to call that time? Their ideas might not be too crazy!

In our house we have timetabled 'blocks' of time throughout the day, during which we cover different subjects. When I first pitched this idea to my (Minecraft obsessed) kids, they asked if we could name the blocks after those in the game of Minecraft.

So now we have Gold block (Maths and LA, individual time with me) for FlowerGIrl between 8-9am, then DoodleBoys Gold block (he's not an early riser like his sister) from 9-10am. Then group work (Science, History, Geography, depending on the day/season) is called Diamond block and runs from 10.30-12 noon. Independent work and personal projects are from 1-2.30pm each day in Emerald block. During that time I'm available to help or answer questions if needed. They can and do work on these outside of that time but after that time I'm no longer teacher-mom and just regular old needs to get the laundry/dishes/vacuuming done-mom. :laugh:

We have been using this system for the past year and it is working quite well. I use colour coded book covers and project files for the subjects in each block (yellow for gold, blue for diamond, and green for emerald) and each has a separate drawer/shelf. Now it is easy to know where to put books back in the correct place and find them again next time. Plus if something is out of place it is easy to spot.

In the last couple of months the kids have created themselves a 4th block called Redstone. This is for all the things they are required to do (e.g. X chores per day, free choice leisure reading for 30 mins, work on their Cub Scout badges) each day but are not strictly school work. They like me to include this stuff on their daily planners, so they can tick it off before they are done for the day.

• Like 5