Menu

Piercing Aftercare

MrsWeasley

I have never successfully healed a piercing. I am taking my nine-year-old to the doctor to get pierced (with a needle, not a gun) today. I'm sure the doctor with have aftercare instructions, but I just wanted to know if anyone had some great tips, especially helping a somewhat immature, very newly nine-year-old, for piercing aftercare?

I too had trouble with piercings healing, then I found out that Im allergic to nickel which is in all jewelry even "nickel free" which is nickel less. There are a few exceptions..titanium and bioplast for example.

You can get the same stuff as ocean (which works great but costs more) in the first aid section. It is called wound wash.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

We had a failed piercing at Walmart.  We decided the next time to go to Piercing Pagoda in the mall, where it's their specialty :)  We bought the expensive gold hoops (hoops make for easier cleaning) and my dd religiously used the Aftercare ear solution they provided.  No problems.  She only is allowed to wear sterling silver or gold earrings though.  But there are plenty of those.

Hope this helps.

I think you may be having issues with the metal. I never had to do much, but insist on sterling silver for the first six months.

I wore sterling while a piercing was healing.  It ended up never healing, and now I have a black mark where the piercing was.  I tend to think the mark is due to the sterling, because another failed piercing (different spot) didn't leave a black mark and that earring never got switched out from the piercing earring, which was whatever they used at Piercing Pagoda -- I'll never go there again.  I think they didn't disinfect their equipment properly.  The piercing got infected within a couple of days.  If I ever decide to get another piercing, I'll go to a tattoo/piercing place.

Argentium Sterling Silver is great if you are sensitive to nickel. Regular 925 Sterling Silver may still have nickel which is the most common metal allergen. Even surgical steel has nickel. All of these things have to be below a certain amount to say they are "nickel free" because it is the amount that MOST people will not react to. US law says to be marked hypo-allergenic or nickel free it has to contain less than 5%. If you are very allergic...still having 4.9% nickel means you will be reacting.

If you are really sensitive (like me) the only options are titanium, platinum $$ and bioplast. I am so sensitive I had to change my metal fillings in my teeth for composite, change my white gold wedding ring to platinum, and get titanium for my piercings. And yes, this happens quickly with new piercings. And no! DONT twist them. You should not mess with them at all. Just use the saline stuff (wound wash or ocean) and leave them alone. If you are not sure about what I am saying, call a piercing place. 

Edited: Hope that is clearer

Edited again: Spelling....

Edited by bluemongoose

I actually got my daughter's ears pierced yesterday and I got a cartilage repiercing. It's about my eighth ear piercing. I've been told to twist and to not twist by different piercers. I twist once a day, because the ones I haven't twisted have grown wrong.

I use the Claire's ear care solution even if the piercing didn't happen there. I've found it to be the most soothing.

We were told NO twisting. Piercer said all the crusty (bacteria) stuff gets pushed in the piercing.

Huh. I always assumed that's why they got infected, perhaps not. I haven't had anything pierced in some time though, and cant remember the care instructions from any of the piercing professionals. Very rarely even now, though, one of my piercings starts to bother me and needs some twisting with antibiotic cream. (I should probably just grow up and take it out, but that would be an admission that I am too old to have it!)