Menu

Seeking advice on homeschooling through illness

My ds12 chipped a bone in his foot 7 weeks ago. Now, we have run into complications that mean several 2nd opinions, possibly outpatient surgery, unknown scary possibilities after that. It's been difficult for ds to function since the very real possibility of surgery has been discussed.

I tend to be a slave driver, but I'm thinking that I need to throw in the towel for now. It bothers me that he sits in front of the video games all day long, but without the use of his foot, there isn't much he can do. Even reading (which he'd never choose over a video game) can take more concentration than he's got right now.

There is no reason that school can't be delayed, other than getting back in may be difficult, and with the unknowns, may be a while.

I could sure use some sage advice and a few hugs.

Thanks.

I would get some fabulous read-aloud suggestions (Artemis Fowl, Sea of Trolls, Rick Riordan's trilogy) and I would spend some time doing that. I would also get some gaming magazines for him to read. I would let him play video games too.

Does he like politics? If so discuss news articles - watch PBS Newshour and discuss. You might really hit on some great stuff to do together or for him to do on his own. It is just a paradigm shift - he could still be learning tons. I hope that you find something that years from now you will remember as the silver lining in the storm cloud.

Warmly

Alexandra

I tend to be a slave driver, but I'm thinking that I need to throw in the towel for now. It bothers me that he sits in front of the video games all day long, but without the use of his foot, there isn't much he can do. Even reading (which he'd never choose over a video game) can take more concentration than he's got right now.

I'm with the other posters...wondering about the details. What if you limit the amount/times of day he's allowed to game? He must entertain himself until 3 o'clock or whatever every day...maybe that's all it will take to get him begging for a little reading material?

There is no reason that school can't be delayed, other than getting back in may be difficult, and with the unknowns, may be a while.

So that's encouraging that you aren't behind and that this break is easily absorbed. How about insisting on Math and Reading every day and let the rest ride for a little while? I find that when things get really stressful because of pregnancy or moves or whatever, it makes life easier to keep some semblance of a routine and keep on with the bare bones than to let it go altogether.

I could sure use some sage advice and a few hugs.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Barb

I would get some fabulous read-aloud suggestions (Artemis Fowl, Sea of Trolls, Rick Riordan's trilogy) and I would spend some time doing that. I would also get some gaming magazines for him to read. I would let him play video games too.

Does he like politics? If so discuss news articles - watch PBS Newshour and discuss. You might really hit on some great stuff to do together or for him to do on his own. It is just a paradigm shift - he could still be learning tons. I hope that you find something that years from now you will remember as the silver lining in the storm cloud.

Warmly

Alexandra

Great ideas Alexandra. Sort of a shift to unschooling for a while. Give him quality stuff to keep his mind occupied without resorting to vegging in front of screens all day.

Barb

We are in a similar situation. We school about 2-3 days a week. He completes math, reading, and spelling. We get to the other subjects on more productive days.

My ds spent 3 hours in a MRI yesterday afternoon. We didn't get any school done for over a week. Today we have a light day. I wouldn't quit all together. I would just expect less. My dh does 12-15 math problems rather than 25. I guess my advise would be lighten the load expect days your child doesn't feel like working but try to accomplish some little thing.

When its hard for him to concentrate we do books on tape and watch the History channel or something. I try to find learning opportunities even when he is not completely well.

The kids watched history channel at the hospital yesterday for about 5 hours.

Actually, I would go the opposite direction of academics and do something soothing and hands-on. Like you say, all day video games aren't ideal. Have you considered wood burning? You take this tool from the hobby store and can make designs in wood. Or get objects to paint. Or take up whittling. Or teach him to crochet/knit. Something to do with your hands is very soothing, just has to be the right thing. That's what they do in hospitals with people who are sick and need their mind off stuff. Maybe an intricate 3D puzzle? Or paint Christmas ornaments? Or paint on that velvet stuff where you paint by number, and then he can give it away as gifts?

Ooo, I've got it! Leather working!!! That's good and physical, with pounding, snaps, tools to do detail work. He could start off with some simple projects. Leather, wood, those are good guy things to work with. He could build and paint a birdhouse or just decorate a preassembled one. He could do one of those doll house kits (sorry, $$) and give it as a Christmas present.

BTW, I also suggest positive movies as background noise while you work. I watched The Happiest Millionaire 3 times this weekend, oh my. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is good. It's just something to drown out your own thoughts, kwim? That way with the movie to occupy his mind and the handiwork to occupy his hands, things aren't reeling out of control in his mind. Some visits from friends would also help, even short visits.

My ds12 chipped a bone in his foot 7 weeks ago. It's been difficult for ds to function since the very real possibility of surgery has been discussed.

I tend to be a slave driver, but I'm thinking that I need to throw in the towel for now.

Because he is so upset at the thought of surgery. We're all having difficulty concentrating and sleeping here.

Sue, I always feel that I'm somehow "tracking" you up here in Maryland! We use so much of the same curricula you do, and I've so benefitted from your advice over the years!

... and my ds broke his foot a few weeks ago --- not as badly as your son apparently did, but I understand the disruption a bit. (Our disruption was last June, when a huge tree fell on our house during a storm - knocking a chimney down, ripping a hole in the roof, etc. THAT was when *I* said, "That's it; school's over!" (even though we were about 4 wks from finishing). Anyway, even though my son doesn't have the possibility of surgery, he's fairly nervous about the whole cast on/cast off process and I'm trying not to let him know I'm sort of rolling my eyes! But I *have* tried to not be impatient with his fears and have tried to accomodate (a little) in school.

I would get some fabulous read-aloud

Does he like politics?

It is just a paradigm shift - he could still be learning tons.

I think read-alouds and books-on-tape are the way to go in this sort of situation. I would focus on books that relate to either the historical time period you're studying OR the science that you're studying. That way, you won't feel that his brain is just turning to mush!

I guess my advise would be lighten the load expect days your child doesn't feel like working but try to accomplish some little thing.

When its hard for him to concentrate we do books on tape and watch the History channel or something. I try to find learning opportunities even when he is not completely well.

I like this idea, too - there are certainly plenty of videos (math, science, history, grammar, etc.) that you can rent that can further your ds's education (or at least stop any slippage!).

Also, we've just had a rule about no videos until after a certain time, so my ds (who also would probably rather play a game than almost anything else (other than playing sports - tough with a broken foot) just doesn't ask any more. I have found that if the video game is not available, he is more likely to actually find something else to do (what a concept!). So, even though it might be hard, I suspect that your son would find something to do (read, draw, etc.) if the game system simply isn't available until after XYZ o'clock.

I'm sorry you and your son are dealing with this. Please keep us posted!

I'm probably the meanest mom in the world, but if it were me, I'd keep doing school under those circumstances.

I just don't see the advantage to easing up on school. Won't that just free up his mind for more worrying?

If he were feeling physically ill or if you needed to do a lot of research into treatment options (and maybe you do), I'd reconsider. Otherwise, I'd stick with the normal routine.

(Not BTDT, but when my son broke his leg in 3rd grade, I let him miss 2 days of public school and then sent him back. When he was sitting at home, the broken leg issue was huge. Once he was back in the swing of things, the leg quickly became something he could work around. But we weren't dealing with worry about surgery.)

Anyway, fwiw. Ymmv and all that.

Thanks everyone. I will lighten the school load some until the dust settles.

Normally, ds's screen time is limited partially by the number of outside activities we have: PE, basketball, soccer, beach, playground, etc. None of which are viable right now.

I do work 30hrs/wk from home. My job is flexible and it provides our family with health benefits. In addition, now I have been researching doctors, treatments, assembling records and delivering them to various and sundry doctors, etc. So, I don't have the luxury of curling up on the couch with him for extended periods of time.

We have bought more legos, but they are assembled quickly. I like the idea of different kinds of hands-on activities. We do have books on tape, which he loves.

Thanks for the hugs. I need 'em.