Menu

Flooring recommendations for a school room/playroom?

Mom2Five

We are pulling up carpet in our old house, so I have a chance to pick what I want to put down. We have 5 kids, ages 9,8,6,2 and 1. It will be playroom/school room since this house is teeny tiny and there will literally be no where else to do school or to use for toy storage. I would prefer carpet. We are in a rental now with absolutely no carpets, it is all hardwood and tile. My feet are cold :). I know that carpet would probably not be ideal for science projects, art projects...

We put down slate tile in the living room, and kitchen the last time we had to replace the carpets. I do like that a lot. That might be an option with some area rugs that would could roll up for projects like someone posted above. Hardwood would be too expensive. Cork might be as well, but I need to look into it.

Off to price cork, lol

We put down slate tile in the living room, and kitchen the last time we had to replace the carpets. I do like that a lot. That might be an option with some area rugs that would could roll up for projects like someone posted above. Hardwood would be too expensive. Cork might be as well, but I need to look into it.

Off to price cork, lol

I will say it wasn't that cork was exorbitantly more expensive than the carpet, but we already had a mix of flooring down on the second level.  We really would have had to replace ALL the flooring if we went with cork, rather than just replace the carpet and leave the rest.  That was the cost I just couldn't justify.  Maybe someday...

We did some vinyl in our last (beloved) house that I liked quite a bit.  One was in wood-like strips and easily matched the oak on the stairs; one was sheet vinyl that looked like tile and was frequently mistaken for it.  We chose it because it was warmer on the feet, didn't have the hardness of tile (more comfortable to play on, less likely for things to break when they drop), but could easily be cleaned after spills.  (One area we did vinyl was the basement, and they said the vinyl we chose there would handle being flooded, too--just in case.)  We then had a big area rug with a cushy pad underneath (though we had to remind kids not to mess with/pick at the pad!) over by the couch for cozy reading/floor play and the hard surface for our craft table and train tracks, etc.  The only drawback is that one of the types of vinyl scratched more easily than I'd like...though the other one was awesome and still looked new five years later when we had to move.

Whatever you do, if you go with anything not-carpet be sure it has a matte finish and preferably slightly textured (but not super-deep grooves for things to get lodged).  In our current house, we have shiny laminate and smooth tile in most of the house.  Both surfaces show every drip--even the streaks of being washed or the footprints from being walked over.  It drives me nuts because they NEVER look clean.

I am wild about our basement flooring, which is vinyl plank flooring. I had no idea I'd like it as much as I do!  I use area rugs to "warm" things up, but it's not especially cold underfoot--nothing like tile would be!  Here's a photo of it--lots of people have mistaken it for hardwood....

http://thejoyfulhouse.blogspot.com/2014/10/dark-basement-before-and-after.html

(The "after" pictures were before I mopped/cleaned it, when the workmen were all still stomping all over it with their dirty boots. in reality it is shinier and clean!)

I like that the maintenance is so easy (vacuum/mop, no fussing around), that I don't have to worry about the washing machine leaking and ruining it (like I would with wood) and that's it not carpet, b/c we have a dog and live on a farm...there is no way I could ever keep carpet allergy-free!

• Like 2