Menu

Edhesive Computer Science

There is a sign up page even though it is not self paced.

https://edhesive.com/students/sign_up

The sign up page has this wording which is weird to me

"By submitting your information you are granting Edhesive permission to request your AP Computer Science scores from College Board."

The 2015/16 schedule and syllabus page for your reference

http://edhesive.s3.amazonaws.com/2015-16/Edhesive_AP_CS_Schedule_2015-16.pdf

http://edhesive.s3.amazonaws.com/Edhesive_AP_Computer_Science_A_Syllabus.pdf

• Like 1

Yes, she could. However, I think that the program reboots in August--so you wouldn't be able to save your results and pick up where you left off. New lessons are released each week and people can begin when they want--but they can't work ahead. So, if she got to lesson 8, she couldn't pick up on lesson 8 until it was released again, iykwim.

If you want her to get started in Java now, I would have her work on Code Academy or Khan academy or something other programming language and then start in August.

I have been very pleased with this program. My son has been able to work with the instructors when he hits snags--e-mailing back and forth until he solves his problem.

• Like 3

Yes, she could. However, I think that the program reboots in August--so you wouldn't be able to save your results and pick up where you left off. New lessons are released each week and people can begin when they want--but they can't work ahead. So, if she got to lesson 8, she couldn't pick up on lesson 8 until it was released again, iykwim.

If you want her to get started in Java now, I would have her work on Code Academy or Khan academy or something other programming language and then start in August.

I have been very pleased with this program. My son has been able to work with the instructors when he hits snags--e-mailing back and forth until he solves his problem.

Thanks, Freesia.  Did you sign up for the coaching?

Thanks, Freesia.  Did you sign up for the coaching?

Yes, I did, b/c I felt I needed all the help I could get. There is a coaches forum and coach material. The most helpful for our family is that in the coaches packet are offline versions of the quiz and tests which we (and other coaches) use as pre-tests to help guide study during test and quiz week. There are other worksheets which I haven't used. It's been good for us, but if we were really strapped for cash (and would rather spend the money somewhere else educationally) or our son already was great at programming, I wouldn't have bothered. It was something like $120 to be a coach this year.
  • Like 1

I agree with Freesia.  My dd took the class in 8th grade and got a 5.  We both felt like she was in good hands with Ms. Dovi.  I didn't sign up for coaching, but dd tells me she wishes I had.  

I also agree with Freesia's suggestion to do some computer science NOW, even if it's in python instead of Java.  Python is much easier for beginners but it will still be a big help in learning Java.  Java is kind of inscrutable programming language when you are just getting started.  

My dd had had extensive programming experience (in python, no Java) before beginning with Ms. Dovi, and I think it really helped.

• Like 1

I agree with Freesia. My dd took the class in 8th grade and got a 5. We both felt like she was in good hands with Ms. Dovi. I didn't sign up for coaching, but dd tells me she wishes I had.

I also agree with Freesia's suggestion to do some computer science NOW, even if it's in python instead of Java. Python is much easier for beginners but it will still be a big help in learning Java. Java is kind of inscrutable programming language when you are just getting started.

My dd had had extensive programming experience (in python, no Java) before beginning with Ms. Dovi, and I think it really helped.

Dd has been doing a python class through FundaFunda this year in the hopes that it will give her some programming experience before taking AP CS. It's been a great class and is very reasonably priced.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I sprung for the edhesive teacher account, but I couldn't figure out exactly what I was paying for since I only had access to the course syllabus, same as my dd who is ostensibly my student.  So I decided to call them because I thought something was wrong.  Turns out they had given me a student account instead of a teacher account.  That's the bad news.  The good news is after I sent them a screen shot of my landing page, they had it fixed in minutes.  

Ah...now I see all the resources.  Extra quizzes, solutions to assignments.  Online discussions and Q&A for teachers.  Good thing it's still early in the year!  

So I sprung for the edhesive teacher account

Ah...now I see all the resources. Extra quizzes, solutions to assignments. Online discussions and Q&A for teachers. Good thing it's still early in the year!

I have the teacher account too since I choose the $150 homeschool student license for my youngest :)

• Like 1

My 10th grader is using it this year.

Our schedule is about a week behind Edhesive's recommended due dates, since he didn't start the course until this week. We won't officially start school until Monday.

My ds is right there with yours!  He's actually starting on Tuesday, due to me being unorganized about actually getting signed up, getting me an account, etc.  Ah well.  Fortunately he's a senior, and he's already had a bunch of AP's so at least he knows what they are like, etc.  We'll see anyways . . .

• Like 2

My ds is right there with yours!  He's actually starting on Tuesday, due to me being unorganized about actually getting signed up, getting me an account, etc.  Ah well.  Fortunately he's a senior, and he's already had a bunch of AP's so at least he knows what they are like, etc.  We'll see anyways . . .

Our schedule is about a week behind Edhesive's recommended due dates, since he didn't start the course until this week. We won't officially start school until Monday.

If it makes you feel better, older dd started with Edhesive in January, and while she needed to work at it, it was no problem to get caught by the end of the year.  She did have extensive experience in python and had been studying Java with another textbook, but we decided to move over to edhesive (then Amplify), and we're glad she did.  If you want to stick to their calendar, it shouldn't be very hard to do an extra week's work.  Then you'll have plenty of time in the last month for AP prep.  

• Like 1

The Intro class is scheduled for a semester, but I am hoping we are allowed to go at a slower pace. 

My only issue right now is if we get stuck, we seem to not know how to get unstuck. I think the system might have some glitches since it gives us error message on lines that have none (we have solutions manual). I hope the rest of the year goes smoother. 

The Intro class is scheduled for a semester, but I am hoping we are allowed to go at a slower pace. 

My only issue right now is if we get stuck, we seem to not know how to get unstuck. I think the system might have some glitches since it gives us error message on lines that have none (we have solutions manual). I hope the rest of the year goes smoother. 

There were a couple points in the 2014-15 year where ds1 had hiccups.  I think some were related to his computer being old, some were connectivity issues as we were moving, and some were with the website on Edhesive.  What I recall is that he would write his programs in Dr. Java and I would look them  over to see if they worked according to the assignment requirements.  Then I'd give him the sample code to see how they had solved it.  Sometimes there was a more elegant solution than what he'd come up with.

At some point in the year, I stopped requiring him to copy his code into the Edhesive site.  (This was before there was a homeschooler specific enrollment option.  That might have more oversight than it did a couple years ago.)  I assigned his grade based on completing the assignments well enough that they met the requirements, and on the quizzes.

• Like 1