Menu

Would you have any qualms about putting this on a transcript?

Thinking through my 2nd DS's history sequence ...

If he has 1 full credit of World History and .5 credit Government and .5 credit Economics, is anyone in admissions going to bat an eye if he has 2 full years of US History? I was thinking a really meaty two years and doing Explorers through Reconstruction one year and up through 1880's through Modern Times the next, with some world history stuff thrown in too and calling it "US History in World Context I & II".

He is a real history buff and I can see him really getting into AP level history topics as his high school years progress. Right now his academic writing skills just aren't there yet, but as far as discussion and concepts and reading he will really like going deep like this. But I don't want to shoot him in the foot with admissions for college either. Perhaps if his writing skills are up to snuff by the end of the 2 years he would be ready for an AP exam, but I'm not willing to bet on that at this point.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I'm not quite sure what you're asking -- is 2 years enough? Or too much? Or are you asking if one year of world is enough?

For comparison:

In NJ, 2 years of U.S. History and 2 years of world history are required for graduation. A half year in either economics or personal finance is also required.

I don't see why that should be a problem.

My DD had a credit of "US History in World Context - 1500-1900" plus a half credit "US History in World Context - 20th century".

You are who I stole the course title from ;)

I just didn't remember that you had done more than 1 credit of it. Good to know!

I'm not quite sure what you're asking -- is 2 years enough? Or too much? Or are you asking if one year of world is enough?

For comparison:

In NJ, 2 years of U.S. History and 2 years of world history are required for graduation. A half year in either economics or personal finance is also required.

I thought it might be too much ... possibly that admissions might think it wasn't rigorous enough if we took 2 years to cover content that others do in 1 year.

Here in IN the public school kids who get an honors diploma I believe are required to do 1 year of USH and .5 of Government and .5 of Economics and 1 other social science.

• Like 2

Thinking through my 2nd DS's history sequence ...

If he has 1 full credit of World History and .5 credit Government and .5 credit Economics, is anyone in admissions going to bat an eye if he has 2 full years of US History? I was thinking a really meaty two years and doing Explorers through Reconstruction one year and up through 1880's through Modern Times the next, with some world history stuff thrown in too and calling it "US History in World Context I & II".

He is a real history buff and I can see him really getting into AP level history topics as his high school years progress. Right now his academic writing skills just aren't there yet, but as far as discussion and concepts and reading he will really like going deep like this. But I don't want to shoot him in the foot with admissions for college either. Perhaps if his writing skills are up to snuff by the end of the 2 years he would be ready for an AP exam, but I'm not willing to bet on that at this point.

Thoughts?

Our local ps has split up US History into two years.  It's the normal sequence there.  You can do US History 1 and then APUSH, or US History 1 then US History 2.

• Like 1

We had two full years of U.S. history.  I think the first one was "U.S. History Through the Civil War Period," and the other was "U.S. History: Reconstruction to the Present."  Or something like that.  My kids didn't have any problem getting into colleges!

• Like 1

I thought it might be too much ... possibly that admissions might think it wasn't rigorous enough if we took 2 years to cover content that others do in 1 year.

Here in IN the public school kids who get an honors diploma I believe are required to do 1 year of USH and .5 of Government and .5 of Economics and 1 other social science.

Also in Indiana, but I don't think the Uni's will have an issue with it. In your course description just explain that you went into more depth than the standard US History course. 

We'll also be doing American Lit 1 and 2, I plan to cover Government the first year and Econ. the second.

• Like 1