Menu

This ought to be so simple...

What's a good can opener? :)

We've used a Krups for 10 years now, the kind that uncrimps so you don't have sharp edges, and it's worked great. But now it's to where you have to go around 3 or 4 times before lid comes off. I assume there's nothing to do about it? So I'm in the market for a good can opener, preferably one that doesn't leave sharp edges. Any suggestions? For some reason I've found nothing when I look at Target, Walmart, the usual places.

PS. I want it to be electric or go on its own.

Oh, I'd love to know the answer to this question. I've been asking for a new can opener for my birthday and again for Christmas for three years.

My guys tell me there are too many choices and they don't know what to buy. It would be great to give them a brand name to look for.

Pampered Chef. It takes the top off with no ragged edges and you can even put the lid back on if you don't use the whole can.

I love my Pampered Chef one as well.

I can tell you NOT to buy the Faberware one at Walmart. Not only does it leave sharp edges, it cuts through the paper on your can so you get little bits of paper that fly up and into your can.

we have a Kitchen Aid one that I really like...it may leave sharp edges though and it is manual.....I haven't had an electric one for over 20 years...I vowed I would not have one again until I have no cats as pets.....the last one I had ....the cat learned how it worked so every morning she would jump up on the counter at about 5 am and start pressing her chin against it until it would go off....she would do that until I got up and fed her (using the can opener)..so was the cat well trained or was I????

Sorry to go so off topic...just always think of that when I think of electric can openers...

Jenny

I just bought this one a few weeks ago based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews. I love it! I get excited when I make something for lunch or dinner that requires opening a can. How pathetic is that? It's just so smooth and effortless. I guess I have to get excited about little things like can openers these days!

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-58081-SteeL-Can-Opener/dp/B00004OCMM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1222238322&sr=8-1

I prefer Swing-A-Way. They're simple; they open cans like you're cutting butter; they last for decades; and they're made in USA. After the issues with food and toys, I've tried to avoid products from China, and I have found that most products are made there, or at the very least, parts of them are.

:iagree: Love mine!

Does the pampered chef one come in electric or only manual crank? I confess I'm awfully lazy and would like the thing to do the work for me...

The PC can opener is a $17 hand-crank. I bought mine because I wanted something that would last. After a year, mine does not work anymore. My older $6 Farberware from WalMart works better.