Menu

What Do I Need to Know about HS'ing in CA?

I plan to Google, search here, etc. to find basic answers, but I'm hoping to gleam some tips and insights from people who know.

TIA for any help. We're bringing home a 1st grader dx Asperger's who isn't doing well - as in tomorrow LOL.  

Both parents (my sister and BIL) are public school teachers. They live in a small mountain town and will face social pressure to keep the child in school. I live in a very low regulation state, and I know CA has more rules.  I told her the adjustment would affect them (parents) more than the child, but they're still very school-minded and aren't sure where to start. They never thought they'd consider this option.  I think they're very much in a "school at home" mindset (at least for right now), whereas I'm way relaxed with school. I figure where I can't help them, the Hive can!

California or Canada?

For California, she just needs to file a PSA every year and that is it. The a-g rules are for high school for applying to UC and CSU, not for a 1st grader.

PSA link, use the blank form link on that webpage

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/ps/rq/affidavit.asp

For Canada, I don't know what are the regulations.

There is also public online schools like CAVA and Connections Academy where the child would still be a public school kid. There are also public charters that has a stipend per kid which is used to pay for approved curriculum and classes e.g. Ocean Grove. Since your nephew is a 1st grader, there is no state testing.

• Like 1

If they are credentialed elementary school teachers (hold a multiple subject credential) in California then they don't have to do anything.

48200Children between ages 6 and 18 years

(Compulsory public school attendance)

Each person between the ages of 6 and 18 years not exempted under the provisions of this chapter or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 48400) is subject to compulsory full-time education...

48224. Instruction by tutor

(Exemption by certificated tutor)

Children not attending a private, full-time, day school and who are being instructed in study and recitation for at least three hours a day for 175 days each calendar year by a private tutor or other person in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools of this state and in the English language shall be exempted. The tutor or other person shall hold a valid state credential for the grade taught. The instruction shall be offered between the hours of 8 o'clock a.m. and 4 o'clock p.m.

• Like 3

If they are credentialed elementary school teachers (hold a multiple subject credential) in California then they don't have to do anything.

48200Children between ages 6 and 18 years

(Compulsory public school attendance)

Each person between the ages of 6 and 18 years not exempted under the provisions of this chapter or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 48400) is subject to compulsory full-time education...

48224. Instruction by tutor

(Exemption by certificated tutor)

Children not attending a private, full-time, day school and who are being instructed in study and recitation for at least three hours a day for 175 days each calendar year by a private tutor or other person in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools of this state and in the English language shall be exempted. The tutor or other person shall hold a valid state credential for the grade taught. The instruction shall be offered between the hours of 8 o'clock a.m. and 4 o'clock p.m.

Why did you leave out the part about private schools? Section 48222 of the Education Code says that children are exempt from public school attendance if they have enrolled in a private school which has filed an affidavit. Section 33190 says that teachers in private schools must be "persons capable of teaching." It does not say they must be credentialed teachers.

Thank you, that's already super helpful - especially the part about them being credentialed teachers. Wow! I'm glad I asked.

Hadn't remembered about about the online schools, that's another great option to look into.

(And California, sorry; not Canada!)

They DO NOT have to be credentialed teachers. I cannot tell you how upset it makes me that someone posted that.

They aren't merely "on-line schools." They are charter schools, which are public schools. FYI.

Why did you leave out the part about private schools? Section 48222 of the Education Code says that children are exempt from public school attendance if they have enrolled in a private school which has filed an affidavit. Section 33190 says that teachers in private schools must be "persons capable of teaching." It does not say they must be credentialed teachers.

It is an easy option for the family because the OP stated that her sister and BIL are public school teachers and want to bring their child home tomorrow. It was specific advice for this family. One option they have is to tutor their own child because they are credentialed teachers. If they plan on telling the school they are withdrawing their child tomorrow and aren't sure how private school affidavits work, they can let the school know they are credentialed teachers and can tutor their own child. Hopefully the school won't even ask what their plans are but just in case if the school threatens to being them up to the attendance review board they can quote ed code.,They also could file a private school affidavit or enroll in a charter school. They can choose whatever works best for their family at this point in time.

• Like 1

It is an easy option for the family because the OP stated that her sister and BIL are public school teachers and want to bring their child home tomorrow. It was specific advice for this family. One option they have is to tutor their own child because they are credentialed teachers. If they plan on telling the school they are withdrawing their child tomorrow and aren't sure how private school affidavits work, they can let the school know they are credentialed teachers and can tutor their own child. Hopefully the school won't even ask what their plans are but just in case if the school threatens to being them up to the attendance review board they can quote ed code.,They also could file a private school affidavit or enroll in a charter school. They can choose whatever works best for their family at this point in time.

Why would the school (legally) be able to do this anyway? They don't have to be credentialed teachers to avoid that nonsense.

Why would the school (legally) be able to do this anyway? They don't have to be credentialed teachers to avoid that nonsense.

The school legally wouldn't be able to do this if a family files a private school affidavit OR enrolls their child in a charter school OR if a parent is a credentialed teacher. However, the OP states that it is a small, mountain town AND the child has special needs AND things are not going well at school. I wouldn't put it past someone in the school calling either CPS for neglect or reporting the child truant if the family goes to school tomorrow and withdraws the child without stating how the child will be educated. I work in public schools and I can tell you that most public school teachers, principals, and secretaries really have no idea that homeschoolers are private school students or public school students if they are enrolled in a charter school that caters to families who educate their own children at home.

• Like 2

The school legally wouldn't be able to do this if a family files a private school affidavit OR enrolls their child in a charter school OR if a parent is a credentialed teacher. However, the OP states that it is a small, mountain town AND the child has special needs AND things are not going well at school. I wouldn't put it past someone in the school calling either CPS for neglect or reporting the child truant if the family goes to school tomorrow and withdraws the child without stating how the child will be educated. I work in public schools and I can tell you that most public school teachers, principals, and secretaries really have no idea that homeschoolers are private school students or public school students if they are enrolled in a charter school that caters to families who educate their own children at home.

The OP's takeaway was that to homeschool people have to be certified teachers. By leaving out the private school option, you gave a terribly wrong impression to all who read what your comment.

ITA with you that it is possible for a busybody to call CPS, but the more correct reply would have been to give the three options (public school, private school, tutor) and recommend that she join HSLDA before withdrawing her child.

I know public school personnel do not know about homeschooling. There's no reason that they should. That does not mean you give incomplete information to someone who is asking about homeschooling.

The OP's takeaway was that to homeschool people have to be certified teachers. By leaving out the private school option, you gave a terribly wrong impression to all who read what your comment.

ITA with you that it is possible for a busybody to call CPS, but the more correct reply would have been to give the three options (public school, private school, tutor) and recommend that she join HSLDA before withdrawing her child.

I know public school personnel do not know about homeschooling. There's no reason that they should. That does not mean you give incomplete information to someone who is asking about homeschooling.

Arcadia (second poster) was nice enough to not only explain the PSA option, but to also provide a link to the online form. I posted next to explain they had another option. Someone else posted about charter schools. You are assuming that OP's takeaway was you have to be a credentialed teacher. I think OP is reading all the posts so she now knows all the options. There was no need to restate what Arcadia posted.

• Like 2

Arcadia (second poster) was nice enough to not only explain the PSA option, but to also provide a link to the online form. I posted next to explain they had another option. Someone else posted about charter schools. You are assuming that OP's takeaway was you have to be a credentialed teacher. I think OP is reading all the posts so she now knows all the options. There was no need to restate what Arcadia posted.

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

Nart provided good information for their specific situation.  Normally California parents don't go out and get a teacher certification just to homeschool.  But since these parents are already teachers, then why not see all the options available to them?  

:grouphug: to Nart.  

• Like 3

Everyone has been very helpful, thank you.

It's a sticky situation because his teachers are struggling to handle his outbursts in class, despite wanting to, and other parents (understandably) feeling the teachers are spending too much time on  him.  My sister took leave from her own job to "assist" in his class all day, every day, but it only helped minimally.  

He's a bright kid, but definitely struggles to focus. He has no problem doing classwork - and can - BUT he wants to do it on his own time (not when the class is doing it).  To address parent concerns, the teacher began allowing him to "sit quietly" if he didn't want to participate. He usually stares out the window, and was allowed to work on his own, even taking work to complete at home. The trouble is the principal isn't okay with this, and my sister is realizing it's not a long-term solution; in some cases, the parents are happier but the classmates are understandably finding it to be unfair. This is very difficult for the teacher, who is stuck between a rock and hard place. (The teacher's son and my sister's older son are in the same grade, to muddy things a bit.)  The principal wishes to demote my nephew.

Are there any recommendations for CA charter/online schools that may fit this type of student?

She kept him home today but hasn't officially pulled him, pending a good look at our options this weekend. She is willing to be his sole teacher in the interim, but doesn't feel she can juggle his educational needs with the ongoing management of his medical and social needs-  school was a respite for her, both her teaching and his attending. 

CAVA (K12) won't work for your nephew because of the rigidity regarding late work. A charter school that pays for outside classes would work in that your sister would get some respite when your nephew is in a class.

Which county is your sister in? It would help us list out possible choices. Does your nephew have a 504 currently for autism?

• Like 4

Everyone has been very helpful, thank you.

It's a sticky situation because his teachers are struggling to handle his outbursts in class, despite wanting to, and other parents (understandably) feeling the teachers are spending too much time on  him.  My sister took leave from her own job to "assist" in his class all day, every day, but it only helped minimally.  

He's a bright kid, but definitely struggles to focus. He has no problem doing classwork - and can - BUT he wants to do it on his own time (not when the class is doing it).  To address parent concerns, the teacher began allowing him to "sit quietly" if he didn't want to participate. He usually stares out the window, and was allowed to work on his own, even taking work to complete at home. The trouble is the principal isn't okay with this, and my sister is realizing it's not a long-term solution; in some cases, the parents are happier but the classmates are understandably finding it to be unfair. This is very difficult for the teacher, who is stuck between a rock and hard place. (The teacher's son and my sister's older son are in the same grade, to muddy things a bit.)  The principal wishes to demote my nephew.

Are there any recommendations for CA charter/online schools that may fit this type of student?

She kept him home today but hasn't officially pulled him, pending a good look at our options this weekend. She is willing to be his sole teacher in the interim, but doesn't feel she can juggle his educational needs with the ongoing management of his medical and social needs-  school was a respite for her, both her teaching and his attending. 

:grouphug:

I understand school being a respite. :-)

Something she could consider is withdrawing him and filing her own affidavit, because then she won't be accountable to anyone. For the next few months, her focus would be on his well-being, not on completing assignments. That could make a world of difference for him.

• Like 2

CAVA (K12) won't work for your nephew because of the rigidity regarding late work. A charter school that pays for outside classes would work in that your sister would get some respite when your nephew is in a class.

Which county is your sister in? It would help us list out possible choices. Does your nephew have a 504 currently for autism?

Thank you very much for the heads up about CAVA, and the advice to look into a charter school.

They live and teach in San Bernardino County.  We have more siblings and some extended family living in Orange County, plus this sister's oldest child attends CSUF, so she's accustomed (and willing to) make the drive to OC if necessary. 

Thanks again for the help, wading through the Internet is overwhelming and I'm grateful for those who take the time to help us.

ETA: When I spoke with my sister a few weeks ago (before the poo hit the fan), she was still in denial about his diagnosis and my BIL was trying to help her work through the emotions of it.  She's been in denial for awhile.  As of that time, she was refusing to consider an IEP or 504.  It's a sensitive topic for her,even before the multiple meltdowns my nephew had this week. I'm guessing my BIL is, or will be, working on helping her accept this - to include seeing the benefit to an IEP or 504.

Edited by Tita Gidge

She might want to look at Sky Mountain

http://www.skymountaincs.org

An old thread on a few more options near her

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/399339-so-cal-people/

An old thread on sky mountain

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/502289-sigh-im-suffering-from-grass-is-greener-syndrome/

ETA:

I think it is the IEP that gets the child social therapy. The IEP or 504 does not folllow a child to college if that is what she is worried about.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

:grouphug:

I understand school being a respite. :-)

Something she could consider is withdrawing him and filing her own affidavit, because then she won't be accountable to anyone. For the next few months, her focus would be on his well-being, not on completing assignments. That could make a world of difference for him.

This was my suggestion to her, and one I hope she truly considers as she investigates this process.

But she's very school minded, especially given her career, and feels strongly about keeping pace with the school. There's also some denial at play about his condition.  She's been working hard to accept that his behavior is rooted in a medical condition, and isn't simple disobedience or willfulness; as she adjusts to his diagnosis (one she's been in deep denial about), she's coming around to understanding him better re: AT HOME situations.  

But I think she's still so conditioned about SCHOOL that it's too big a leap for her right now to even think about placing academics on hold.  Which is unfortunate, IMO, but maybe in time as it all falls into place for her.  She's very much a bring-the-textbooks-home and pick-up-where-school-left-off mindset because that's what she knows professionally.

She might want to look at Sky Mountain

http://www.skymountaincs.org

An old thread on a few more options near her

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/399339-so-cal-people/

An old thread on sky mountain

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/502289-sigh-im-suffering-from-grass-is-greener-syndrome/

ETA:

I think it is the IEP that gets the child social therapy. The IEP or 504 does not folllow a child to college if that is what she is worried about.

:001_wub:  I can't thank you enough. We'll read up on those and hope they match what they need.

For her the IEP is more of an admittance that her child requires one at all.  She's a perfectionist, A-type, control freak whose life has followed the script she has written for it - until this bundle of boy came along.  Having never really experienced a situation she wasn't already in control of, or could quickly gain control of, she's not very good at handling this being at the mercy of someone - least of all someone so small but deceptively powerful! LOL

(If you couldn't tell, this is my OLDER sister. Typical firstborn!)

Edited by Tita Gidge

I would join this FB Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/964284686950034/

It is all about So Cal charters, You can post your question there and get specific feedback about the various options for charters in her county. They are all very different, so some will be a better fit for her needs than others.

• Like 5

I would join this FB Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/964284686950034/

It is all about So Cal charters, You can post your question there and get specific feedback about the various options for charters in her county. They are all very different, so some will be a better fit for her needs than others.

I'm not on FB but my sister is.  This is a perfect resource for her, THANK YOU.

You've gotten great advice. I just wanted to add that we homeschooled in CA for two years before moving to the East Coast -- it's not a hard state at all. In our new state people always say, "oh, I know CA is a hard state to homeschool in."

No, not at all.

It's been interesting to me that people talk so firmly about something that they don't know much about. Eye opening for me.

Good luck!

Alley

• Like 1

You've gotten great advice. I just wanted to add that we homeschooled in CA for two years before moving to the East Coast -- it's not a hard state at all. In our new state people always say, "oh, I know CA is a hard state to homeschool in."

No, not at all.

It's been interesting to me that people talk so firmly about something that they don't know much about. Eye opening for me.

Good luck!

Alley

Isn't it funny? 

I have no idea where I got the idea that CA was a harder state for home schooling! I wonder why so many of us think that?!

It's been a very relieving surprise to learn that it will be easier for my sister to home school n CA than we originally worried.  I'm so glad I asked!

Isn't it funny? 

I have no idea where I got the idea that CA was a harder state for home schooling! I wonder why so many of us think that?!

It's been a very relieving surprise to learn that it will be easier for my sister to home school n CA than we originally worried.  I'm so glad I asked!

Some people talk to those in California who enroll in PSP (private school satellite programs), an option the courts said was legal. A PSP is a private school, just like any other private school, except the children are taught at home by their parents. :-) On paper, it looks just like any other private school; it's only that the PSP files the affidavit instead of the individual parents. Each PSP has its own requirements, most of which have nothing to do with the actual law but are what the administrators think are important; the requirements could include annual testing, quarterly reports, mandatory meetings of all sorts. So if someone talks to a parent whose children are enrolled in a PSP, and the parent lists all the things she has to do, the inquirer might think that those are required by law, and thus that homeschooling in California is "hard."

Also, there are huge numbers of charter schools and ISPs (independent study programs), which are legally public schools and not private homeschooling. Those people have requirements which could include logging hours, home visits, and end-of-year tests. Many of those people have always used the charter school and so don't know about filing an affidavit; so their experience with "homeschooling" includes lots of accountability. If they talked to someone who isn't homeschooling at all, or who lives in another state, they will give the impression that homeschooling is "hard."

But it isn't. File an affidavit annually. The end.

• Like 1