Menu

Help me Brainstorm a list?

I'm trying to make a list of curriculum that can be used with more than one child, for more than one year, that will maybe also teach me how to teach. Non-consumable (obviously) and cheap would be great too. But I also need to be picky and say that anything that requires an E-reader wouldn't work. I need to physically hold it in my hands. 

I'm thinking of things like:

Ordinary Parent's Guide To Teaching Reading

Spelling Power

Writing Ease

Italics: Beautiful Handwriting for Children

I only own SP and WE so the other two are hopeful guesses. 

I'm thinking that 100EZ would possibly work here, but I wrote OPGTR cause that's what I see myself using. Perhaps Spalding? (I've been on the boards enough to know that Spalding will be suggested.)  :laugh:

What could be used for math? Specifically K-3 perhaps. 

Probably Primary Language Lessons and Immediate Language Lessons? 

I read threads like the Footlocker Thread first and got completely overwhelmed. 

Thanks muchly. I love these boards.  :hurray:

Just an idea, if your budget may not allow for repeated purchases (because mine sure doesn't).

I take all consumable workbooks, cut the binding off, three-hole punch them and put them in binders. The kids complete their worksheets in dry erase pockets, using Vis-a-Vis fine point wet erase markers. When done, I re-file everything for the next kid.

It's more legwork for me, not very convenient, but it saves us a ton. TON. For us, it's totally worth it.

HTH!

• Like 2

I would put All About Spelling in this category although some think it is expensive.  It's completely reusable and has definitely taught me quite a bit about how to approach spelling. 

Center for Lit's Teaching the Classics would be multi level, reusable year to year, and provide some teaching for you as well in the literature category.

I'm a huge fan of Tapestry of Grace for many of the reasons you described but it's certainly not cheap the first time you make the investment and wouldn't be if you don't have access to a great library.  For my growing family, it makes sense in order to purchase 1 curriculum that can be used with all my children at the level they need and can be repeated again 3 times per child.  I'm sure many would disagree with me though that the cost is worth the value.  :laugh:

I think the only way math becomes reusable is if you save the workbooks like Sweetpea mentioned above.  I think that's brilliant!

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding would qualify for science, I would think.  Not totally reusable year to year but certainly able to be kept for your next child coming up and very cheap for the value. 

Phonetic Zoo for spelling.

The Writers' Jungle for writing, along with a set of Writing Strands books. 

Rod and Staff grammar handbook.  Honestly, if I had known that existed earlier, I would have switched up grammar a lot more.

The old white Kingfisher world history book--Illustrated History Of The World.  Useful as a read aloud in the grammar years, as a basis for outlining and timelining in the logic stages, and a refresher overview in the later years.

Not sure about math though.  That depends so much on the children.

Most of what we use is non-consumable and can be used for multiple years.  Here are some of the things we use:

Write On!

McGuffey Readers

Laying Down the Rails for Children

Handbook of Nature Study

SCM's Mathematics book & DVD are great, they do suggest using Rays or Strayer-Upton alongside (which would be another non-consumable option)

We have Bravewriter's program, but I couldn't figure it out. :blush:  I prefer ELTL which isn't a multiple year, but is re-usable.

We also invest in things like classical CDs, poetry anthologies, nature guides, and good living books.  Another thing I've found helpful is to buy PDFs of any printable materials...things like SOTW AG or handwriting programs.  I'd rather have a PDF than have to keep buying workbooks when we get to it.  It's also easier to make copies from a CD or PDF file than a large book.  

This isn't a multiple year thing, but I've been working on creating a 4 year cycle for several of our subjects.  We've been using SCM history & geography for awhile, but I liked the idea of having a similar plan for other subjects.  We'll be using SCM history (condensing the first 3 levels into 1 will give us a 4 year cycle), CKE Biology/Earth & Space/Physics/Chemistry, Harmony Fine Arts (grades 5-8), and SCM's Visits To geography series.  I'm still trying to figure out how best to use Visits in 4 years.  Each cycle through will have different books for science and history, so it should still work the 2nd (or 3rd) time around.

Edited by Holly
  • Like 1

How to Teach Spelling by EPS will carry you through high school. It has all the spelling rules, word lists for reading and writing and comprehensive dictation. It also gives clear instructions on how to teach, hence the name.

I think IEW TWSS is great for understanding writing across the curriculum for all grade levels. The website has awesome free webinars that take you through the program unit by unit.

WRTR

Cuisinaire rods

Strayer Upton

Ray's math

IEW

Understanding Writing

McGuffey readers (for reading and copywork)

McGuffey speller

How to Teach Spelling

Spelling Power

Victory Drill Book

Abeka Oral Language Exercises

My Bookhouse series (literature)

Journeys Through Bookland (literature)

The Harp and Laurel Wreath (poetry and dictation)

SOTW 1-4

Everything You Need to Know About......series

What Your K, 1,2,3,4,5,6 Grader Needs to Know (used as jumping off point, can be found at Goodwill or library)

Bruce McIntyre's Art book(can't think of name right now)

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 1

We kind of do this multiple year for multiple kids approach.

Ambleside Online is fairly comprehensive and can be tailored to individual kids and levels without much fuss. If nothing else, the booklists are a valuable resource, imho. AO also posts TONS of resources, like week by week lesson plans and ideas for art, music, and Shakespeare rotations. AO encompasses pretty much every area but math, if you want it to do so for your situation.

I don't use it for everything, but you probably can. Best thing is you don't really have to purchase much formal curriculum (textbooks, workbooks) until your kids get older unless you feel the need to do so. 

SotW is another multiple year, multiple kid curriculum. Works great for history, language arts, and writing, as well as read aloud, dictation, narration and sometimes copywork. 

Math is really tricky though. I like Singapore Math, but different families/kids have different needs. It isn't a curriculum that lends itself to multi kid, multi year approach, imho. However, I believe that SM makes it easier to track your child's progress and see problem areas. My oldest uses Saxon because it works for him, but some find it dry and boring.

Real Science 4 Kids is fairly easy to use for multiple kids at multiple levels. I have to do some extra work to seek out supplementary resources for my older ones, but it is pretty easy to use with the younger kids and it's pretty fun to do together with the whole family.

I do rely on consumables more than I should. I'm a Kumon fangirl, and I'm not ashamed. The investments are worth it though because all of my kids like them and they are great supplements for the younger ones. I strongly suggest splurging on the Let's Fold, Let's Cut and Let's Paste workbooks if you have littles. They are great fun group activities for anyone doing Pre-K or K at home, I think. :) The Maze books are also really good.

As for learning to teach, I think that some structure is good, but good teaching is somewhat intuitive. Only you know your kids, your family values, their passions, their learning styles, etc. Adjustments are necessary and curriculum that are really great when you're teaching a 6 year old and 8 year old and a gaggle of littles tend to wear themselves out by the time you're teaching a 12 year old, a 9 year old, and a gaggle of littles a few years down the road, in my experience. Jmho.

WRTR

Cuisinaire rods

Strayer Upton

Ray's math

IEW

Understanding Writing

McGuffey readers (for reading and copywork)

McGuffey speller

How to Teach Spelling

Spelling Power

Victory Drill Book

Abeka Oral Language Exercises

My Bookhouse series (literature)

Journeys Through Bookland (literature)

The Harp and Laurel Wreath (poetry and dictation)

SOTW 1-4

Everything You Need to Know About......series

What Your K, 1,2,3,4,5,6 Grader Needs to Know (used as jumping off point, can be found at Goodwill or library)

Bruce McIntyre's Art book(can't think of name right now)

So, if I had to choose between My Bookhouse and Journeys Through Bookland, which one should I choose?

We kind of do this multiple year for multiple kids approach.

Ambleside Online is fairly comprehensive and can be tailored to individual kids and levels without much fuss. If nothing else, the booklists are a valuable resource, imho. AO also posts TONS of resources, like week by week lesson plans and ideas for art, music, and Shakespeare rotations. AO encompasses pretty much every area but math, if you want it to do so for your situation.

I don't use it for everything, but you probably can. Best thing is you don't really have to purchase much formal curriculum (textbooks, workbooks) until your kids get older unless you feel the need to do so.

SotW is another multiple year, multiple kid curriculum. Works great for history, language arts, and writing, as well as read aloud, dictation, narration and sometimes copywork.

Math is really tricky though. I like Singapore Math, but different families/kids have different needs. It isn't a curriculum that lends itself to multi kid, multi year approach, imho. However, I believe that SM makes it easier to track your child's progress and see problem areas. My oldest uses Saxon because it works for him, but some find it dry and boring.

Real Science 4 Kids is fairly easy to use for multiple kids at multiple levels. I have to do some extra work to seek out supplementary resources for my older ones, but it is pretty easy to use with the younger kids and it's pretty fun to do together with the whole family.

I do rely on consumables more than I should. I'm a Kumon fangirl, and I'm not ashamed. The investments are worth it though because all of my kids like them and they are great supplements for the younger ones. I strongly suggest splurging on the Let's Fold, Let's Cut and Let's Paste workbooks if you have littles. They are great fun group activities for anyone doing Pre-K or K at home, I think. :) The Maze books are also really good.

As for learning to teach, I think that some structure is good, but good teaching is somewhat intuitive. Only you know your kids, your family values, their passions, their learning styles, etc. Adjustments are necessary and curriculum that are really great when you're teaching a 6 year old and 8 year old and a gaggle of littles tend to wear themselves out by the time you're teaching a 12 year old, a 9 year old, and a gaggle of littles a few years down the road, in my experience. Jmho.

My daughter uses Saxon so I have math from fourth grade or so covered.

I'm planning a mash up of WTM and AO and some other things that I've picked up from bloggers I admire. Very slowly gathering books.

So, if I had to choose between My Bookhouse and Journeys Through Bookland, which one should I choose?

To be totally honest, I don't know! I don't have the JTB set but it comes highly recommended by 8fillsthe heart, it's also free on the internet. I do know that both sets can be found in expensively on eBay. I'll see if I can link the thread describing the differences between the two and see if that helps you make a decision.

To be totally honest, I don't know! I don't have the JTB set but it comes highly recommended by 8fillsthe heart, it's also free on the internet. I do know that both sets can be found in expensively on eBay. I'll see if I can link the thread describing the differences between the two and see if that helps you make a decision.

Thanks. I've probably read the threads, but it wouldnt hurt to read it again. I have My Bookhouse on my Amazon wishlist so I don't forget.

Edited by Kristie in Florida

Thanks. I've probably read the threads, but it wouldnt hurt to read it again. I have My Bookhouse on my Amazon wishlist so I don't forget.

Oh I understand. I can't link because I'm on my iPad and just don't know how to do it, but from my understanding, the my Bookhouse set would be better for the younger crowd. She felt that the JTB were more literary. I have the my Bookhouse set because it was a gift so, I've just been using it when I remember.

See, I've realized that I will have a high schooler at the same time that I will be teaching my boys in early elementary. My daughter went to public school through third. Most of my budget is going towards what my daughter needs. Thankfully I've been doing a great books study using the rhetoric section of wtm on and off, so I don't need much.

• Like 1