Menu

PSA TimezAttack, no more home version after Feb 5

TimezAttack is a video game quality computer program to help kids learn math facts. The game is do much fun that it is hard to stop. My kids loved it. You used to be able to buy it outright; now it is sold as a license, but still well worth it, IMO.

But -- after Feb 5, the home version will no longer be available, only the school site license version at $5000/year. So, if you are interest, check it out now.

It's a download, available in PC and Mac version. No iPad version, except for schools.

http://www.bigbrainz.com/index.php

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

We never paid for it, but used it. So maybe it wasn't a full version? Ds didn't get too far in the game. It felt like the game never moved forward if you missed something. I thought we'd be in that swamp for a life time. He probably wasn't ready for the problems at the time.

The free version is one world of multiplication, iirc.

The full/deluxe version I have from many years ago has three different 'worlds' for multiplication. It also has a separate division module and a beta version of addition/subtraction module that works flawlessly.

I see that there are two or three more 'worlds' since I used it, not sure if that is only the school version or if it is permanent license version also.

I paid $59 for my deluxe version with add/subtract, own it, not a license. :-)

• Like 1

I haven't used that PC in some time so I just turned it on to see what we have. We have a program installed on it with the Beta version of TimezAttack. The file dates are 2012 and 2013. He used the addition version, but it is letting me select other options as well. They lump addition/subtraction as one option. Mult. is separate from division.

Edited by heartlikealion

We never paid for it, but used it. So maybe it wasn't a full version? Ds didn't get too far in the game. It felt like the game never moved forward if you missed something. I thought we'd be in that swamp for a life time. He probably wasn't ready for the problems at the time.

If you don't pay for it you can only sample the swamp level.

So that is likely why you felt like you were never leaving the swamp.

• Like 1

If you don't pay for it you can only sample the swamp level.

So that is likely why you felt like you were never leaving the swamp.

haha! Yeah, I'm realizing now as ds just tried to play again and said it was only letting him do certain things. I think it only gave certain sets of questions. We haven't studied many multiplication facts yet so he's not really ready for that area. He knows the answer to something, but it won't let him answer it. The question is floating on a wall. I don't know what he's supposed to do lol. Maybe they already asked that and then it remains on the wall.

Edited by heartlikealion

$100 is ridiculous for a computer game. And even if I was inclined to pay it, I'd rather not support a company that has decided they won't sell to homeschoolers. I'm sure in the fine print somewhere it says they can end the "permanent" licenses whenever they feel like it, so don't be surprised if you lose access in a year or two because providing support for the home licenses ends up being too much of a bother for them.

• Like 7

$100 is ridiculous for a computer game. And even if I was inclined to pay it, I'd rather not support a company that has decided they won't sell to homeschoolers. I'm sure in the fine print somewhere it says they can end the "permanent" licenses whenever they feel like it, so don't be surprised if you lose access in a year or two because providing support for the home licenses ends up being too much of a bother for them.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of high as well. I was just comparing it to pricing for other PC games we've bought. Fallout was like $60 for PC at Christmas.

Looks like the original company got bought/acquired by another.

• Like 1

It would be at my upper limit. But so many apps cost a lot now. I think I paid about $75 for a year of Brain Pop. I tried, but did not buy Achieve3000 at about $180 per year -- hated the program. Science Fusion modules are about $45 each, and you need three per year -- the work text that comes as part of the package sells for about $6 on the HMH website. So I don't think TA is out of line.

What absolutely astounds me is the school price. There are a lot of tiny districts in my state. I know of two in my county in which an entire grade level is 30 students. A district would save money by buying families individual licenses.

I don't remember how much we paid for it. We got the multiplication and division one. I'm guessing we paid maybe 15 dollars for it. Mind you this was likely 4+ years ago.

I found my old bill for an upgrade. It was $59, with a discount that brought it to $20, I think. I probably paid $39 for the base program. (The original, bare bones program was free.(

• Like 1

It would be at my upper limit. But so many apps cost a lot now. I think I paid about $75 for a year of Brain Pop. I tried, but did not buy Achieve3000 at about $180 per year -- hated the program. Science Fusion modules are about $45 each, and you need three per year -- the work text that comes as part of the package sells for about $6 on the HMH website. So I don't think TA is out of line.

What absolutely astounds me is the school price. There are a lot of tiny districts in my state. I know of two in my county in which an entire grade level is 30 students. A district would save money by buying families individual licenses.

We did Science Fusion for K. It was the online program and a workbook. The K program was already cheaper than the other grades but dirt cheap during a Homeschool Buyer's Co-op sale. I paid like $20 for it all. The program was not user-friendly and was never intended for homeschoolers. But I did get my money's worth lol. I still have the workbook and actually looked up other workbooks to see if they sold individually on Amazon. I may poke around the site now that you mention that option.

We did Science Fusion for K. It was the online program and a workbook. The K program was already cheaper than the other grades but dirt cheap during a Homeschool Buyer's Co-op sale. I paid like $20 for it all. The program was not user-friendly and was never intended for homeschoolers. But I did get my money's worth lol. I still have the workbook and actually looked up other workbooks to see if they sold individually on Amazon. I may poke around the site now that you mention that option.

Well, I just looked, because I wanted a few more grade 6-8 modules. Amazon prices were all over the place, ditto condition.

I remembered the HMH website as being totally confusing, and I think (?) many items were sold to teachers only. Well, I was thrilled to discover that by googling HMH Science Fusion, a page came up that as let me order easily online. Easy account set up too and great prices. I ordered three books with no problems, no customer rep required. Yay! Oh, free shipping over $25.

For comparison, I checked Rainbow Resource -- books are only sold as part of a package, about $50 per module, 3 modules making a year's Life, Physical or Earth science. It comes with a code that lets you activate a one year license. It sounds similar/identical to what I ordered from Homeschool Coop a few years ago. 

I then checked Saxon Homeschool. Not available as individual modules, $200 per unit of 3 modules in each Homeschool Package. There is a CD included. It has lab activities and lots of other stuff. I did not happen to want all that, but it is a better deal than the way SF was originally offered at Saxon as a one year license to online content, iirc.

Btw, a book is also available from HMH.You had to be a teacher to get a sample. If I want it, I would email customer rep for samples.

Well, I just looked, because I wanted a few more grade 6-8 modules. Amazon prices were all over the place, ditto condition.

I remembered the HMH website as being totally confusing, and I think (?) many items were sold to teachers only. Well, I was thrilled to discover that by googling HMH Science Fusion, a page came up that as let me order easily online. Easy account set up too and great prices. I ordered three books with no problems, no customer rep required. Yay! Oh, free shipping over $25.

For comparison, I checked Rainbow Resource -- books are only sold as part of a package, about $50 per module, 3 modules making a year's Life, Physical or Earth science. It comes with a code that lets you activate a one year license. It sounds similar/identical to what I ordered from Homeschool Coop a few years ago. 

I then checked Saxon Homeschool. Not available as individual modules, $200 per unit of 3 modules in each Homeschool Package. There is a CD included. It has lab activities and lots of other stuff. I did not happen to want all that, but it is a better deal than the way SF was originally offered at Saxon as a one year license to online content, iirc.

Btw, a book is also available from HMH.You had to be a teacher to get a sample. If I want it, I would email customer rep for samples.

I'm seeing prices from like $13-$20 for worktexts. Is this the same link? http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-curriculum/science/elementary-science/sciencefusion/shop-nowI haven't tried to order but I'll keep it in mind if it doesn't require me to have the whole module.

I'm seeing prices from like $13-$20 for worktexts. Is this the same link? http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-curriculum/science/elementary-science/sciencefusion/shop-nowI haven't tried to order but I'll keep it in mind if it doesn't require me to have the whole module.

Yes, that is the link. I believe it might ge new. When I looked several years ago, I could not find any easy way of ordering form HMH as a homeschooler.

I would like to imagine that they have looked at orders from Homeschool Coop, Saxon, and other places and realized that some hs parents actually want high quality secular materials. It looked as though many of their other lines were available. I guess the only thing you might not be able to buy as an individual would be teacher materials with test questions and answers, lol.

• Like 1