Menu

So I bought my son's 9th grade curriculum (feeling shocked that he's that old)

We finally settled on:

MFW World History and Lit (their tenth grade course)

He's ahead for his age (way way ahead in literature) but hasn't happened to have read most of the books in tha package. We will do Biology with the MFW guide. The idea is to use MFW for 9th and 10th and then go from there.

Biology Lab Kit from Home Science Tools

(We live in a mild climate- my idea is to set up his biology table in the garage where we also have a convenient laundry sink. Only about 8 weeks of the year is it too cold to hang out in there...we will suffer through those 8 weeks of dissections in the dining / living room I guess.)

TPS German

AOPS Geometry with tutor

Study for and sit for the AP computer Science exam (he can probably already pass it now but just to make sure)

I will be doing a lot of grading but this plan saves money and allows us to spend more on math tutoring :)

• Like 14

We finally settled on:

MFW World History and Lit (their tenth grade course)

He's ahead for his age (way way ahead in literature) but hasn't happened to have read most of the books in tha package. We will do Biology with the MFW guide. The idea is to use MFW for 9th and 10th and then go from there.

Biology Lab Kit from Home Science Tools

(We live in a mild climate- my idea is to set up his biology table in the garage where we also have a convenient laundry sink. Only about 8 weeks of the year is it too cold to hang out in there...we will suffer through those 8 weeks of dissections in the dining / living room I guess.)

TPS German

AOPS Geometry with tutor

Study for and sit for the AP computer Science exam (he can probably already pass it now but just to make sure)

I will be doing a lot of grading but this plan saves money and allows us to spend more on math tutoring :)

That looks great!!!!!!

• Like 1

Have fun :)

I'm looking for summer german and chinese now :lol: else my kids backslide over the summer.

TPS is The Potter's School

https://www.pottersschool.org/course/list/

Chinese you can find in person right?  Do your kids go to Chinese school classes or take online?

I wonder if that German school up my way (I think I'm north of you) has any German classes in summer?  Probably more expensive than online though.  And, there's the traffic....

Chinese you can find in person right? Do your kids go to Chinese school classes or take online?

I wonder if that German school up my way (I think I'm north of you) has any German classes in summer? Probably more expensive than online though. And, there's the traffic....

My kids go to a public school on a weekday for afterschool chinese, their german is at a christian school on Saturday.

There are german summer camps but not classes except for Berlitz.

I am not sure if my kids would place into high school german 1 or 2, chinese 1 or 2 if I use one of those online accredited schools for summer. I haven't ask the providers about placement tests.

If I revise with them during summer, they do not backslide but no progress either. So I feel bad since they don't mind studying in summer. Like I am hindering their progress.

We might try UCScout in Summer or Fall as a spine. I'll let you know if it works. My kids were amused by UCScout's statistics lecture sample.

ETA:

Private chinese tuition per hour was very high when I asked around so I rather pay for group lessons. Easier for conversation practice too in a group class.

If you want/need to borrow any "ancient" math or science textbooks drop me a PM.

ETA:

Oldest asked me what are the majors college offer and how many he can choose. Looks like college tour is in the works.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...