Menu

Knitting with fingers, arms, looms, and ?

IfIOnly

My ds just discovered finger knitting.  He's using chunky, soft yarn and making great looking chains.  He's really into this! He wants to arm knit a blanket with his finger chains, so I started researching. In the process, on Amazon today, I discovered looms that you can make hats and scarves with, and I'm super excited to order these for him and his brothers.  Scroll down to customer images to see some neat creations: http://www.amazon.com/Darice-1171-58-Round-Plastic-Knitting/dp/B001GAHFHY

Are there any other neat things to do with yarn like the above? I have tried in vain to learn to knit and crochet using needles (okay, I can make chains, but trying anything else is too complicated for me), so I can't teach them those, but these other things seem doable for kids to pick up on their own. 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

I have a young friend with an Etsy shop--she arm knits lovely infinity scarves. They are big and bulky and soft--She's made enough to send herself to an exclusive athletic camp in the summers.

ETA: Something else that I just thought of--you can make small rugs by weaving around a hula hoop. You don't use yarn, you make loops from old tee shirts. It might be fun for your son.

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 1

I have a young friend with an Etsy shop--she arm knits lovely infinity scarves. They are big and bulky and soft--She's made enough to send herself to an exclusive athletic camp in the summers.

arm knit scarf tutorial

ETA: Something else that I just thought of--you can make small rugs by weaving around a hula hoop. You don't use yarn, you make loops from old tee shirts. It might be fun for your son.

Oh, these are so great. Thank you! A thrift store around here sells bags of t-shirts for really cheap too.

Dd13 got this loom set and this book for Christmas.  She was trying to make a sock earlier this week, but she was having difficulty with it.  I think that she gave up on it, so maybe she'll try a different project soon.

She got a different loom from my sister that she loves.  She's made over a dozen scarves in a month!

• Like 1

Check out this chunky yarn project for later when he wants to (literally) attack using needles!

http://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/16/big-little-dandelion-garter-blanket/

You might look at spool knitters also, they are smaller, more portable, and make essentially a long copied that you can craft into other things. Perhaps search it a geared one to avoid burnout!

Perhaps to far OT, but he might also like making friendship bracelets. They use embroidery thread and are made by knotting the colors into a pattern. These are also portable which can be handy.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

Check out this chunky yarn project for later when he wants to (literally) attack using needles!

http://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/16/big-little-dandelion-garter-blanket/

You might look at spool knitters also, they are smaller, more portable, and make essentially a long copied that you can craft into other things. Perhaps search it a geared one to avoid burnout!

Perhaps to far OT, but he might also like making friendship bracelets. They use embroidery thread and are made by knotting the colors into a pattern. These are also portable which can be handy.

That yarn and those needles are great. Ha! Ds will get a kick when I show him that link.

Hadn't heard of spool knitters, but they are inexpensive and would be great to pick up with the looms. I saw some cute projects to do with them.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of that, but my kids would LOVE friendship bracelets. They've been really into paracord projects for a year or so and are kind of waning in interest with it, and FB would be new and exciting, I'm sure. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

We just started loom knitting. I LOVE IT. I recommend the website loomahat.com and her videos. They're great. I made 3 hats my first weekend and we had to buy a second loom set!

Thank you for those!  I saw the the most adorable loom project today that I"M excited to make. It was a matching newborn hat and cocoon. I think it would make an adorable gift that would be great for newborn pics.  Something like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/60407682/newborn-baby-cocoon-crochet-baby-cocoon

Are you on Ravelry? You can search the pattern database by craft: knitting, crochet, loom knitting, weaving. You can also narrow your search to free patterns only. Not all patterns in the loom knitting category will use the same type of loom linked above, so you'll need to look at the pattern details. Enjoy!

• Like 3

My 11 year old is in to finger knitting - he has also done arm knitting (success) round looms like the ones you linked (not success) a table loom (small success ) and knitting and crochet (disaster, which is sad as I am really in to it).

Mrs Weasley thank you so much for that link - I have found something easy to do with all the finger knitting!

• Like 1

Dd13 got this loom set and this book for Christmas.  She was trying to make a sock earlier this week, but she was having difficulty with it.  I think that she gave up on it, so maybe she'll try a different project soon.

She got a different loom from my sister that she loves.  She's made over a dozen scarves in a month!

Update:  Dd9 had on a new hat when I went to take her to a music class.  I guess that dd13 figured it out!  (She also made a hat for dd5.)

• Like 3