Menu

What a difference a mattress makes

DawnM

Our memory foam, tempurpedic knock off mattress, was not that comfortable.  We have a split King bed and DH is fine with it, but I was waking up every am with hip pain.  It was awful.

4 days ago I got a real tempurpedic XL twin mattress for just my side of the bed.  I have not woken up with hip pain since.  And I really think I am sleeping better.   I used to get up 3-4 times per night to go to the bathroom.   In the past 4 nights I have gotten up between 0-2 times, with only one night being 2 times.  I feel better rested when I get up too.

The only issue is that now my mattress is about 1" shorter than his, so when we make the bed with the King comforter, it sinks a little, but honestly, I don't care.....sleep is needed!

• Like 9

We bought ourselves a new mattress for Christmas this year... we should have done it years ago in hindsight!

We didn't go with anything special - just what felt good to us at Mattress Warehouse in their less expensive lines since I wasn't ready to spend as much on a mattress as the models the salesman was showing us at first.

• Like 1

We bought our mattress 8+ years ago.  I would LOVE a new one, but I'm terrified of making the wrong decision and ending up spending money on something I absolutely hate. :(

Ours is 16 years old.  I'm in the same boat.  There are too MANY choices!!!  

We need to bite the bullet though.  Dh and I both have pain issues.

When we went to Mattress Warehouse they had a machine that supposedly checked out our sleep patterns while we were on a mattress (hubby and I), then matched us to a mattress.  Those were the expensive ones (of course).  As soon as I mentioned what our budget was, the salesman took us to their less expensive models that (he said) still fit our sleep profiles, just not from the machine's testing.  I think he was right as only one of those he suggested (maybe three) didn't feel good.

We picked the one we liked that was Made in PA - supporting local and all.  No regrets at all at this point (one month in).

YMMV

• Like 1

Ours is old enough to drive, to vote, to drink, and in ten years will be old enough to run for president.  It's in very sad shape.  We're saving to buy a new one.

Regards,

Kareni

Ours was old enough to drink... never thought about having it run for President in a few years - probably should have.  Oh well.

• Like 2

I've been dying to get a select comfort mattress for years and really need to bite the bullet. We call our mattress 'mount bed' because of how much each one of our sides dips :o

Oh, my, YES! Our mattress is just old enough to drink too. However, compared to the coconut fiber thin mattress I slept on for almost three weeks at my in laws' in Sri Lanka, it is sheer luxury. I thank the lord every night for my comfy mattress, especially important when you are recovering from bone breaking disease, aka, dengue fever.

Edited by Mabelen

Yes, it makes a huge difference.  The first mattress we had when we got married was comfortable for me, but not really for him.  8 years ago we upgraded to a king and that mattress was comfortable for him, but not really for me.  I was waking in pain every day and not sleeping well and feeling tired all the time.  So in July we got Tempurpedics.  We each have our own twin xl.  His is the hardest they make and mine is the softest they make.  And so now we know why we've never both been comfortable in a bed.  We also have a 1" difference.  We need to get the casters to put on his bed so they'll be the same height.  Of course it's been 6 months and we haven't bothered, so I'm not sure it's really such a big deal.  I sleep so well now.  I don't need to sleep as long at night to feel rested.  I always thought I just needed a lot of sleep (10 hours minimum), but I'm fine on 7 or 8 hours now.  It's great actually getting good sleep.  And not waking up in pain.

• Like 1

We got a new mattress (a year ago) that dh totally loves, and it feels super comfy when I lay in bed at night, but I hurt in the mornings. I think it's too soft. I've debated replacing the box spring on my side. I've even contemplated throwing a piece of plywood down over the existing box spring. Not sure what I'm going to do, but probably something.

Edited by Sassenach

Yes, it makes a huge difference.  The first mattress we had when we got married was comfortable for me, but not really for him.  8 years ago we upgraded to a king and that mattress was comfortable for him, but not really for me.  I was waking in pain every day and not sleeping well and feeling tired all the time.  So in July we got Tempurpedics.  We each have our own twin xl.  His is the hardest they make and mine is the softest they make.  And so now we know why we've never both been comfortable in a bed.  We also have a 1" difference.  We need to get the casters to put on his bed so they'll be the same height.  Of course it's been 6 months and we haven't bothered, so I'm not sure it's really such a big deal.  I sleep so well now.  I don't need to sleep as long at night to feel rested.  I always thought I just needed a lot of sleep (10 hours minimum), but I'm fine on 7 or 8 hours now.  It's great actually getting good sleep.  And not waking up in pain.

That is pretty much us too.  He has a firmer mattress (knock off foam) and I now have the medium from tempurpedic.  I probably could have gone with the completely soft, but I like the medium just fine.

And we will never go back to a regular shared bed.  The man moves all night long!  And we like diff. mattresses.  I love the split king.

Edited by DawnM

We are on our second new mattress in a year. The first one was defective and we had a huge fight with JCPennys for the warranty. Now, our second mattress is too soft. I am in pain every morning and the dumb thing is only 7 months old. How does one go about finding a good mattress? It's driving us crazy!

Edited by KrissiK

We are on our second new mattress in a year. The first one was defective and we had a huge fight with JCPennys for the warranty. Now, our second mattress is too soft. I am in pain every morning and the dumb thing is only 7 months old. How does one go about finding a good mattress? It's driving us crazy!

Do you have a Costco membership?  I buy as much as I can from Costco, their return policy is the best.