Menu

Need a new bank

Momling

So I just found out the branch of our big bank that I've used forever has been bought by a smaller local bank and I need to decide whether to go with the smaller one or move our accounts to a new bank. I've always gone with a big-name bank because I wasn't sure where we'd live and because we travel a lot. I mostly do everything online. With the exception of the first option, I'm going to have to set it all up again no matter what I choose.

I could:

-opt out of the transfer and continue with the big bank online, but nobody local to service the account and no ATMs locally.

-let my accounts get moved to the new small bank - lots of local ATMs, nothing outside of the state, but I don't know if I'll have fees or not.

-use an online bank that we have connections with but no local branch

-move to another larger bank that has local branches and ATMs everywhere

-move to a smaller local bank or credit union.

What I care most about is accessibility of ATMs overseas and locally and easy bill pay and check deposit. What would you do?

We use an online bank.  So far it's been great, much better than our big-bank experiences.  We've stuck with them for the past 14 years and have never had an issue that they haven't resolved quickly.  The only downside is I can't put cash in our account, so I really should open a local account for that, but for the rest we are quite happy.

• Like 1

We switched from a very small bank to a large one for many reasons. So much happier with the larger bank. The smaller one did a few things that really irritated me so we ended up switching. The best part of using a bigger bank is a very updated online bill pay versus the small bank with an ancient system. Our mortgage was at the big bank anyway so it makes so much more sense. Lots of fun perks like a coffee bar in the lobby and ticket/prize giveaways sealed the deal for me too. 

• Like 1

I love my big bank, mostly because I generally only go to one branch and pretty always get this one particular teller so it feels very much like a small branch. :)

There is only one thing that annoys me and when I really dig down deep into why it happens, it's all my fault anyways, so whatever. I guess I just annoy myself.

I have two accounts, one with a big bank and one with a small local bank.  I'm closing the local bank account pretty soon.  There are too many nickel-dime fees, too many barriers to transferring between accounts (mine and my sons) within the same bank, and too much work to reestablish the long-term relationship that we have with Big Bank.  

Big Bank has fabulous online bill pay, easy check deposit, a branch every ten yards, and they have caught credit card theft within 15 minutes of its occurrence--every stinkin' Christmas for the last four.  Super helpful at the local teeny branch where they do know me by name and bust their backsides to provide good customer service.  

This *particular* Big Bank was also recommended as one of the sounder ones after all the past 8 years of yuck, and our financial advisor recommended we stay with them.  They are known for having a LOT of paperwork--sign this paper that says you signed that other paper--that sort of thing.  But oh well.  It's not like there's an ink shortage.  It is a tad annoying but not very and not very often.  :0)

I'd pick:

-move to another larger bank that has local branches and ATMs everywhere

I really enjoy having a larger bank with lots of services that I can go to an ATM no matter where I'm traveling, but that also has a local branch where I can walk in and talk to a real live person.

• Like 1

We have both.  We use USAA for main accounts.  No ATMs, but they reimburse all of our ATM fees, so we can use any ATM, anywhere, for free.  Their website always works, and they have all services available online.  

We have a smaller account at a local credit union.  Our kids have their accounts there as well.  It is handy for the small bit of banking we need to do locally.

• Like 1

Some banks will let you use other atms for free, some will send money for free, and some will give you money for opening an account. We are happy with US Bank. I use Bill Pay and only buy stamps for letters, I love the customer service, they're everywhere so my MIL can make a withdrawal if she's in a pickle and my dad randomly makes deposits when he has a lot of side jobs, and their online system is extremely simple.

Also I don't keep a checkbook. The money comes in on the 15th, bills are gone by midnight that night and I know exactly how much is left for groceries.

• Like 1

We use a local/regional credit union and love it. No fees, plenty of ATMs, excellent online service and branch service. We prefer to support local businesses and not enormous national banks.

We had a Terrible experience with a big bank with regard to identity theft and security. Never going back!

• Like 1

I'd use local.  Either a small bank or a larger bank.  I'd lean more towards larger.  I don't care for the concept of on-line only banking.  Even though 99% of the time I do everything on-line anyway, there have been occasions where I would need a bank.  For example, we get checks once in awhile.  There is no way to deal with that with an on-line bank (that I know of).  I know some banks allow using a smartphone.  We don't have smartphones.

• Like 1

We use a local/regional credit union and love it. No fees, plenty of ATMs, excellent online service and branch service. We prefer to support local businesses and not enormous national banks.

We had a Terrible experience with a big bank with regard to identity theft and security. Never going back!

I really like our local credit union.  We have 2 loans through them.  I thought about switching, but they have a limit on on-line bill pay.  If you exceed the limit they charge.  That's so dumb. 

The bank I use has no limit and we don't pay any fees. 

• Like 3