Menu

Where in California for dh and I to visit?

Ottakee

Dh and I are thinking of a trip to California maybe March/April.

We enjoy beaches but are more if the walk the beach, see the sunset type bezch people, not sunbathers at all. We enjoy simple things...local, state, national parks, easy walks/hikes, natural wonders, good basic local food.

Weather wise we are happy in T shirts to hoodies. We would rather avoid HOT. Along that line, we are not crowd or dress up people.... See again the jeans and hoodie thing

We can fly into most bigger airports but would need a rental car. For lodging we just need simple, clean, and safe. A micro and fridge is nice but we don't need fancy.

What places/areas should I look at? Budget friendly would be great...think free or low cost things to do/see, etc.

The redwoods and the sequoias. You can't get that anywhere else in the world. We spent a week there this summer and we're from Seattle so it's not like we can't go again. It's amazing. If this is your chance at California, Redwoods / Sequoias, San Francisco with the Academy of Sciences (expensive but amazing!), Golden Gate Park, Chinatown. San Francisco has a great arts scene too. 

I am totally biased but that area is in my opinion the only thing worth doing in California besides the original Disneyland if you're into Disney.

• Like 2

I went to law school in San Diego and agree that it is beautiful.  Torrey Pines State Park is just lovely.  I also spent many summers wandering the southern Sierras with my dad; it's a beautiful place.  I also agree that the central coast (Monterey) is gorgeous.

Hmm.  I don't think I'm helping.

Could you narrow it down any?  Where are you flying into?  Do you know yet?

ETA:  Just re-read your OP.  Disregard the last bit.  Long night here-sorry.  I think for the specifics that you are looking for, you need someone there now.  I hope you have a great trip!

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 1

The Monterey Peninsula is *EXACTLY* what you are looking for, and one of the most beautiful and fabulous places ever ;)

We used to live there, got married there, and just went back a few years ago.

Staying in either of these towns is great: Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Big Sur

You can explore them all, no matter where you stay. March is prime whale watching season, if I remember correctly.

We stayed at The Spindrift Inn, in Monterey, and oh my was it heaven!! Wood burning fireplaces, wood floors, big comfy beds, and continental breakfast brought to your room every morning on a silver tray :)

There are lots of rustic cabins in the woods, and yurts overlooking the ocean, in Big Sur.

Eat at Nepenthe when you go down to Big Sur. Eat at Roys, at the Inn on Spanish Bay when you drive down 17 mile drive... our favorite restaurant in Monterey was/is El Toritos. There is a fabulous breakfast spot near the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I think called "Awakenings" or something... lots of walking paths throughout Monterey- walk down to Lovers Point- so beautiful!!

Hike at Point Lobos State Park (please Google this to see the beautiful scenery!!), go to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and hike to McWay Falls (please google that too!).... lots of hiking and smaller Redwoods in that area.

*sigh* If I won the Powerball, I'd move there tomorrow....

• Like 4

This San Diego gal loves the Central Coast, from Santa Barbara up through Monterey and Carmel -- you've got empty beaches for walking (Cambria is divine -- look for hotels on Moonstone Beach) and the beautiful Big Sur highway. I also loved Lost Coast above San Francisco with places like Fort Bragg with its glass beach and Eureka and of course all the giant redwoods.  Dh and I took the dog on a long drive up the entire coast to the Oregon border last spring and just loved it.  I think it was the first week of April, and the weather was perfect and the crowds non-existent.

• Like 1

Sorry, just saw you asked for budget ideas- we went for our ten year anniversary ;)

But, it can be budget friendly ;) Especially in March... There is an Embassy Suites in Seaside that my inlaws always stayed in when they came to visit us... I think Big Sur or Pacific Grove would be the most budget friendly... or downtown Monterey...

You could also use Priceline bidding for that- I've had good luck with that...

We've done San Diego the last two years and absolutely love it. We found it very, very easy to get around for a large city. It's also easy to find amazing food of almost any type for good prices and some of our favorite activities are free. Torrey

Pines State Park is beautiful and don't miss the glider park there. Balboa Park is huge with lots of free stuff and you can get discount tickets for multiple attractions. There are so many beautiful places to walk or drive along the water and lots of military related stuff to explore if that is an interest.

I don't know much about motel/hotel prices in the area, as that is always our last choice for lodging. We prefer VRBO rentals, camping, or bed and breakfasts.

• Like 1

Sonoma County Beaches. They are not hot even in the middle of summer. T-Shirts would be fine if there is no fog, when the fog rolls in you may want a hoodie. Lot's of walking beaches. My personal favorites are the vacation rentals at Sea Ranch. Wide variety of house sizes and prices.

Napa County - wine country is nearby. So is San Francisco for museums, touring a submarine if so inclined, a retired war ship, the Exploratorium. The capital Sacramento is only about 2 - 2.5  driving hours east of Sonoma County. Capitol Building, old downtown, more museums, Sacramento River cruise. From there to the foothills and the Gold Country.

:laugh:   How much time do you have?

The Monterey Peninsula is *EXACTLY* what you are looking for, and one of the most beautiful and fabulous places ever ;)

We used to live there, got married there, and just went back a few years ago.

Staying in either of these towns is great: Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel, Big Sur

You can explore them all, no matter where you stay. March is prime whale watching season, if I remember correctly.

We stayed at The Spindrift Inn, in Monterey, and oh my was it heaven!! Wood burning fireplaces, wood floors, big comfy beds, and continental breakfast brought to your room every morning on a silver tray :)

There are lots of rustic cabins in the woods, and yurts overlooking the ocean, in Big Sur.

Eat at Nepenthe when you go down to Big Sur. Eat at Roys, at the Inn on Spanish Bay when you drive down 17 mile drive... our favorite restaurant in Monterey was/is El Toritos. There is a fabulous breakfast spot near the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I think called "Awakenings" or something... lots of walking paths throughout Monterey- walk down to Lovers Point- so beautiful!!

Hike at Point Lobos State Park (please Google this to see the beautiful scenery!!), go to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and hike to McWay Falls (please google that too!).... lots of hiking and smaller Redwoods in that area.

*sigh* If I won the Powerball, I'd move there tomorrow....

Yes, yes, yes.

We honeymooned out west and spent several days in a cabin in Big Sur State Park.  Then just after Christmas, went the once more with our 3 children, 2 grown, one almost grown.  So it's been many years!  But the drive along the coast, redwoods, everything.  

We just hiked in Julia Pfeiffer park and it is truly gorgeous.  See the aquarium in Monterey. Highway 1 it dotted with pull offs where you can take in the incredible Pacific\mountain\beach\forest views.  There is no other place anywhere like it.