Menu

Cats and their litter boxes

stephanier.1765

How do your cats react when you clean their litter boxes?

Mine stand over me supervising every move and once I'm done they use it. One cat will then streak through the house howling at the top of his lungs.

Are they upset I removed their waste so they have to put some back? Are they grateful and are showing me by using the box and vocalizing? Or are they really watching to make sure I do it correctly and are giving me positive (or maybe negative) reinforcement by then adding more waste?

Cats really are strange, odd, crazy, fun creatures. And I am their servant. :)

• Like 3

LOL

I usually close the door (we have french doors by our litter box) and make the cat wait outside the doors, but last time she just sat there patiently waiting and sitting a couple of feet away on top of an old cardboard box with a nice view (ha). She often uses it after I clean it. I figure to a cat it's like, "finally! Someone flushed the toilet!!"

They might like some of their scent around, but I don't know if that's the reason they go right after it's clean.

One time my cat interrupted my cleaning to use the litter box. That was quite annoying lol. I was at my in-laws so I left her in the room with me while I cleaned.

• Like 2

One time my cat interrupted my cleaning to use the litter box. That was quite annoying lol. I was at my in-laws so I left her in the room with me while I cleaned.

LOL My cat has done that too. I was kneeling in front of the box scoop in hand when she darts in and starts scratching at the litter. Thankfully she only peed so I didn't have to wait long. And darn if she didn't use it again when I was done. These creatures really do fascinate me with the behaviors. 

• Like 1

I think they do like their scent in the box. Usually both will run down the stairs when I head down; they seem to keep watch over my cleaning activities. And the one will usually use the box right away. He always tries to exert his dominance but I think the other one is starting to fight back a lot more now. Anyway, when I'm done and heading upstairs they race up and stand outside the garage door because they know that's the next stop--garbage bin.

• Like 2

-I've had cats who would wait patiently until it was emptied, and then would immediately refill it.

-I had one who hated when the litterbox got too full in his opinion. If he went elsewhere in the house, the first thing we'd do is check the box to make sure it was clean enough for him. 

-That same cat who didn't like a full box also didn't bury his BM's. He'd work very hard to bury his pee, but proudly left logs sitting on top of the litter.

-I've had two cats, one from years ago and our current cat (both female) who apparently couldn't stand the smell of their own poop. If I see her come flying out of the room where we keep her box, sometimes making cat noises, I can be sure she just dropped a stink bomb.  :lol:

• Like 4

Same here. And I have one little demon who thinks he doesn't have to cover the mess up after.

One of mine refuses to cover too. My now-departed girl would make a harrumph noise, go cover it, then come back and bite him. He's 22+ lbs, and she was 6. :lol:

• Like 5