Menu

HWT Poll - what do you think about this program?

praisefor3

What do you think about Handwriting without Tears?  

1. 1. What do you think about Handwriting without Tears?

• I examined it/used it and think it is great!
    • It's o.k. but I'd keep looking.
    • I examined/used it and it really wasn't for us.
    • I'm not familiar with it.
    • Other

I used A Reason for Handwriting with DS but he was already in 2nd grade when we started homeschooling. I'm now looking for a program to use with DD4 and just thinking there might be something better out there. Both my older kids hold their pencils weird and ds' handwriting is terrible so I thought maybe a more directed program might give me a chance to teach the youngest how to hold the pencil right! :) My first impression was that HWT is TOO teacher intensive (do I have to attend workshops?) but I'd like to give it another look. Just wondering if it worked for you (and, yes, I know that what works for your child might not work for mine but I'm still curious!)

HWT did wonders for my lefty ds, who had motor skill delays. We worked a looong time, but now he has great, confident printing! I give HWT all the credit. We are not using HWT for cursive, though. I decided to try another program (NAC). Ds said he liked the way the letters looked better (not so "weird" in his words). If NAC isn't working for us, we'll go right back to HWT. I think it's a great program.

My dd would have been bored with HWT, though. She has reallly good motor skills and taught herself to print. This year she's in 1st and we're learning a d'nealian style. I thought it would appeal to her aesthetic sense and she feels she's writing almost-cursive, delight of delights;)! She's now motivated to slow down and be neater.

Different things suit different kids.

I'm somewhere in between "I think its great" and the next choice. We're using it and I think its okay and I'm not really looking for anything else at this time. The way I teach it is not too teacher intensive, but I'm not starting from scratch with my two ds. They know how to do it, they just need practice. It is fairly easy for them, although there have been tears from my ds6.....any subject can provoke tears from that one!

What I most appreciate about HWT are the extremely clear instructions on how to form letters, and the kid-friendly layout. It does not have to be teacher-intensive; we've gotten along through 3 kids now with only the workbooks. You most definitely do not have to attend workshops. :)

Just got it for my ds6. We had tears/fights everytime handwriting came up. I dove in and bought HWOT. Granted he is still not thrilled about handwriting, but he will do it w/o tears/fights. The other program he was using was having him trace letters. When it came time to write them he couldn't. HWOT teaches him how to write the letters on his own with no tracing. He likes to write the letters on the chalkboard. He thinks it is fun, all the while he is still practicing his letters!

I've used both the printing and the cursive with both dc. I love the way it teaches so clearly. However, I hate the way the cursive looks. Sometimes I have trouble figuring out what the letters are with just a quick glance. I also prefer to teach them to write on regular lined paper, instead of what they use.

I used Handwriting Without Tears, Pentime, and StartWrite with ds8. His handwriting was still really illegible, so I finally broke down and bought a HWT Workbook, and I'm seeing improvement for the first time in 3 years. I didn't attend any workshops, and I didn't buy any of the extras, just the Printing Power Workbook.

We are using HWOT because it is dd's choice. She loves the paper. The middle dotted line in regular handwriting paper just confuses her. She likes the simplicity of HWOT paper. This was a problem with WWE1. I have to substitute HWOT paper for the workbook exercises. And this was after I bought the additional student sheets. (I just wasn't thinking!) :glare: