Menu

Gardeners: What are you planting now?

Tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, zucchini and beans. I will be adding swiss chard and spinach this week or so. I just read that it is helpful to soak the spinach in the fridge in a little water 24-48 hours before planting. I plan on trying that this time around.

This is my first time using a raised bed - I will never go back to a garden plot. Love, love love my raised bed! Also, it is super helpful to have your garden near the house. Both my dh and I go and tend to it much more than when it was a little ways from the house.

Good luck in your garden!

Guest Virginia Dawn
I am considering extending our garden season. I am about to make a cup of coffee and start reading Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest.

Just wondering what you muti-seasoners are planting now?

I put in carrots and kale, and hope to do peas and garlic in the next couple of days. According to a planting guide for my area these all can go in by Oct. 1.

I would put in beets if anyone else would eat them. We tried broccoli and cabbage once before and they didn't do so well for us. Maybe we will try those again sometime. The soil is in a little better shape now.

Good suggestions! i have written them all down. The first two chapters of the Coleman book have been so delightful! I also have the New Organic Grower (written by him) and love it, but it has been a while since I picked it up. This is giving me a renewed energy for the garden. His writing is very encouraging and playful, while still full of info. I highly recommend it.

We have tiny lettuce, spinach & chives going now, but only have about a month until first frost, so I'm not sure how much spinach and lettuce we'll get. We eat the chives starting when we thin them, although we have some large ones to finish off.

I brought a few books on indoor vegetable gardening home from the libary. I'm going to see if I can grow something in the house this winter, provided it can thrive at 61 F, our new winter house temp. The sun beats through our slider (that's New England-ese for sliding door) all day in the winter, so I have a sunny spot.)

We have tiny lettuce, spinach & chives going now, but only have about a month until first frost, so I'm not sure how much

quote]

Spinach likes a frost, and some other greens like kale and chard taste sweeter after a frost. I love to see these foods poking though snow!

Lettuce, otoh, does not like frost. However, lettuce dooesn't like hot weather, so you may get a nice little crop before the real cold sets in.

building my lasagna gardens tomorrow --going to get a load of crap from a local farm, I've got hay, cardboard, and newspapers.

THEN I'm going to appeal DH to build me a cold frame and I'm going to plant spinach, lettuce, and carrots.

I'm also going to transplant my rhubarb into my garden.

We have tiny lettuce, spinach & chives going now, but only have about a month until first frost, so I'm not sure how much spinach and lettuce we'll get. We eat the chives starting when we thin them, although we have some large ones to finish off.

I brought a few books on indoor vegetable gardening home from the libary. I'm going to see if I can grow something in the house this winter, provided it can thrive at 61 F, our new winter house temp. The sun beats through our slider (that's New England-ese for sliding door) all day in the winter, so I have a sunny spot.)

Do let us know how this turns out! What books did you get? The thought of fresh veg/herbs in feb. has me drooling!

Do let us know how this turns out! What books did you get? The thought of fresh veg/herbs in feb. has me drooling!

I have no idea if any of these are any good--I just did a search in my library network.

The Kitchen Gardener by Madeline Dolowich

Growing Vegetables Indoors by Steve Meyerowitz

Vegetables in a Po by D.J. Herda

Get Growing! Exciting Indoor Plant Projects for Kids by Lois Walker

I think there are more, but they hadn't yet arrived at our local library the last time we went.

spring here, we are starting to plant all of our spring/ summer veggies. we are still harvesting our winter leeks, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, carrots etc.

we have planted onions, peas, lettuce, potatoes, spinach, red cabbage, spring cauliflower. in the greenhouse I have tomatoes growing ready to plant out. and have planted cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, and are trying peanuts. capsicum and sweet potato grow in the greenhouse all year round.

Tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, zucchini and beans. I will be adding swiss chard and spinach this week or so. I just read that it is helpful to soak the spinach in the fridge in a little water 24-48 hours before planting. I plan on trying that this time around.

This is my first time using a raised bed - I will never go back to a garden plot. Love, love love my raised bed! Also, it is super helpful to have your garden near the house. Both my dh and I go and tend to it much more than when it was a little ways from the house.

Good luck in your garden!

Exactly what she said - a winter garden. I'm trying to convince DH on a raised garden for next spring. It's sooooo much easier to harvest from!!!

I'm trying to convince DH on a raised garden for next spring. It's sooooo much easier to harvest from!!!

Just be sure not to plant a jungle. When I was reading about companion gardening, I read a suggestion to plant a pole bean with each corn stalk. The kids loved the idea, since they've read about Native Americans doing this. It also suggested planting cucumbers near corn. Now I have pole beans all through my corn and some of the cucumber vines grew the "wrong" way because I missed them when I was training them. I've even had to try to pry corn off the stalk with a pole bean plant wound around it. I don't know how this works for anyone else, but we won't be doing that again. btw, Our entire garden is a raised bed, not just raised rows.

We took today. I will be planting a lot more perennial flowers in October (good planting month here, as it cools down by then).

In my small veggie bed, I plan on peas, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, maybe some swiss chard, carrots, and basil.

I have around 50 rose bushes, so they are pretty much a year-long job! And lots of flowers, I love flowers.

We really enjoy our backyard.

Michelle T

post-413-13535082663311_thumb.jpeg

post-413-13535082663388_thumb.jpeg

post-413-13535082663467_thumb.jpeg

post-413-13535082663546_thumb.jpeg

post-413-13535082663311_thumb.jpeg

post-413-13535082663388_thumb.jpeg

post-413-13535082663467_thumb.jpeg

post-413-13535082663546_thumb.jpeg

I am considering extending our garden season. I am about to make a cup of coffee and start reading Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest.

Just wondering what you muti-seasoners are planting now?

I gave that book to my mom for Christmas last year! My dad read it throughly and built the green house for my mom. They're extending their harvest in it this year. I think they've got beans, herbs, and carrots in there.

Great book!