Menu

Anatomy for a 1st and 3rd grader

AFthfulJrney

I'm wanting to switch out our current science curriculum (SCM Learning About Birds) and try something new with my 1st and 3rd grader starting in January! They are both highly interested in wanting to learn about the Human Body. I've been doing some research about what to use and am having trouble choosing between Apologia Anatomy and Guest Hollow. Can anyone recommend one over the other or share their experiences with either?

Both, initially, cost the same to start, but my concern with guesthollow is all the books needed. I'm planning on purchasing some, but I'm also hoping to borrow the majority from the library! We've used Apologia in the past...land animals...and even though it's not designed to read like a textbook, it still felt "textbooky" to me!

Anyways...my brains a jumbled mess with trying to decide and I'm hoping someone can help make this decision easier for me! ;)

Thanks so much!

Adding options rarely makes a decision easier, but I'm going to make a different suggestion. The book Blood and Guts by Linda Allison is excellent, and so perfect for elementary. It gives an overview of each major body system, and then generally simple demonstrations to illustrate the concepts. Not the least bit textbooky and a lot of fun!

We did this book and loved it. My bodyhttps://www.teachercreated.com/products/my-body-0211with all the cut outs. I think we still have the bodies somewhere. The dc's loved pulling them out from under the couch and showing people. I also had some library books but the parts glued into an outline of them was the huge hit!

• Like 1

I am hating the Apologia Anatomy. My girls do it in a co-op setting. We have the audio book and the workbook. I think it is the worst combination of busywork and boring. I will admit that my advanced dd who is 7 likes it. She has a great memory and enjoys the audio. Her sisters are in 1st and 3rd and they greatly dislike it. I think it is way pricey for what you get. The health chapter is based on the food pyramid which I disagree with. I dislike the awkward ways they interject God into the subjects.

Edited by reign

I'm doing Apologia Anatomy w/ the lapbook this year with my 2nd and 5th graders.  I'm not sure I would recommend it for 1st and 3rd grade.  I feel like my 2nd grader is lost a lot of the time.  He's getting bits and pieces from it, but there is a large portion of the book that goes right over his head.  I feel something less wordy and in-depth would have worked much better for him.  He does like it, and it's one of his favorite subjects though.  

We did this book and loved it. My bodyhttps://www.teachercreated.com/products/my-body-0211with all the cut outs. I think we still have the bodies somewhere. The dc's loved pulling them out from under the couch and showing people. I also had some library books but the parts glued into an outline of them was the huge hit!

Thanks for this book recommendation! It looks like something my kids will enjoy!

There is a great Human Body unit study/lapbook on Homeschool Share.  We all had a lot of fun with it and it pulled together a lot of different resources like the aforementioned "Blood and Guts" plus projects.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/human_body.php

Thank you! I'm definitely wanting to do some lap books with my kiddos so this sounds great!

We're doing Guest Hollow this year (3rd). So far, so good. We're a bit behind as far as the syllabus is concerned, because we took a few weeks to dig deeper into a few of the topic, but DS is happy and learning.

Her stuff sounds really good...I was just hoping it was free like the American History curriculum was. I'm not sure I want to invest in it without getting some more feedback, so I appreciate your review!

Another budget friendly option is The Body Book.  You can also get it as a pdf which makes it easier for multiple kids.

Adding this to my list to look into. Thank you!

I'm wanting to switch out our current science curriculum (SCM Learning About Birds) and try something new with my 1st and 3rd grader starting in January! They are both highly interested in wanting to learn about the Human Body. I've been doing some research about what to use and am having trouble choosing between Apologia Anatomy and Guest Hollow. Can anyone recommend one over the other or share their experiences with either?

Both, initially, cost the same to start, but my concern with guesthollow is all the books needed. I'm planning on purchasing some, but I'm also hoping to borrow the majority from the library! We've used Apologia in the past...land animals...and even though it's not designed to read like a textbook, it still felt "textbooky" to me!

Anyways...my brains a jumbled mess with trying to decide and I'm hoping someone can help make this decision easier for me! ;)

Thanks so much!

Re:  all the books needed.

I'm using the Jr. Anatomy.  I don't remember if there is one for the elementary age.  Anyhow, I think it depends on your library.  My library didn't have the book for week 1, but did have the books for the following few weeks after that.  I just substituted something for week 1. 

For the most part, I did purchase 3 main books she uses throughout the curriculum.  The Blood and Guts, My Body (or The Body I don't remember), and a coloring book that she suggests.  I think a Horrible Science book is also recommended, but I didn't get that one for personal reasons.  The rests are library books.  I got my books (except the coloring book) used from abebooks.com. Something like $3. 

I can't remember, but if you can see a list of books for the curriculum, then I would just check with your library before buying it.  You may be able to email her and ask as well for substitutes.  I like the layout of this plan and it's a good fit to include all 3 kids simultaneously.