Menu

If you pay for water service, can you tell me about how many gallons you go through..

and

These questions:

How many gallons a month do you go through?

How many people are in your house?

How many toilets? (not sure if this makes a difference)

Do you treat your water?

If so how? (water softener, something similar, if so what??)

Do you have a High Efficiency washer?

How old is your dishwasher? is it newer and high efficiency?

We just go through a lot of water and it always seems high, dh thinks it's our water softener, which does need to be replaced, because it cycles every other day and is older. We have three toilets and an older dishwasher and a regular washer. Dishwasher needs to be replaced soon. I think it could also be our toilets, but I'm sure it's combo of everything.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get an idea how much water things are using.

Thanks,

Phlox

This is a hot topic at our house. Dh thinks we use too much water.

According to the recent $$$ bill, we use 195 gallons a day (12716 gallons = 17 CCF for a 2 month period, so 6358 gallons per month). That is $98 per month for water/sewer combined ($36 for water and $62 for sewer). Our monthly water/sewer bill is higher than our monthly gas & electric bills combined.

We are a family of 4. Two low-flow toilets, a front-loading HE washer, energy star dishwasher less than 2 years old. We don't use a water softener or other water treatment. We have a tiny yard so we don't have to water the lawn -- occasionally we water selected yard plants during the summer, and we do water some outdoor potted plants.

In order to reduce our water use, dh bought low flow showerheads with a with a flow adjustment valve. When dc and I shower, we now turn off the water using the flow adjustment valve while shampooing, soaping, etc. Dh takes 3 min showers so he's never contributed to our big water bill.

Also, I'm trying to do larger loads of laundry less frequently. Unfortunately, due to the small size of our laundry closet, we weren't able to buy a large capacity HE washer, so I can fit only about 5 days' worth of whites, darks, etc. into each load. I was doing laundry every 3-4 days, but stretching it out an extra day or two might make a difference. I don't know.

We implemented our (hopefully) water saving choices at the beginning of September. Dh will check the meter later this month, at the halfway point of the billing cycle, to see if we have noticeably lowered our water use. I sure hope our next bill will be lower!

I'm going to admit it: I love my toilet

http://products.jacuzzi.com/nd/viewone_07.d2w/description?SCIN=T&SGIN=PERFECTA

While it is not billed as a "two step" toilet, it functions as one. Press and release...quick flush and SEVEN seconds to refill. Press and hold, 11 seconds to refill. Has a "jet stream" at the bottom but doens't have that terrible roar the boosted toilets do. Loved it so much, took perfectly good toilet out and put this one in. HTH

How many gallons a month do you go through? 8,225 a month (we have well water for the front lawn) We use more in the summer, though.

How many people are in your house? 5

How many toilets? (not sure if this makes a difference) 1

Do you treat your water? yes

If so how? (water softener, something similar, if so what??) a canister carbon filter on the cold water tap

Do you have a High Efficiency washer? no

How old is your dishwasher? is it newer and high efficiency? 10 years

Details:

3 adults shower daily.

dishwasher run once a day.

1 load of laundry a day, sometimes more.

My husband washes 2 vehicles, mower and other equipment. Equipment has to be cleaned a lot.

Just paid our water bill. The total was $215 for 6 months. For the last 6 months, the usage was 68,200 gallons.

How many people are in your house? 7

How many toilets? (not sure if this makes a difference) 3 (not the newer kind that uses less)

Do you treat your water? no

Do you have a High Efficiency washer? no

How old is your dishwasher? is it newer and high efficiency? Dishwasher is 6 years old but not working well. I have to use the 2 hour cycle until dh fixes the pipes around the kitchen sink so we can get a new dishwasher. I run it every day at least once.

I do at least one load of laundry once a day in a top-loading washer that is 11 years old.

Guest Virginia Dawn

These questions:

How many gallons a month do you go through? 7,000-8,000

How many people are in your house? 6 right now

How many toilets? (not sure if this makes a difference) 3, 2 used most, they are at least 25 years old

Do you treat your water? don't

Do you have a High Efficiency washer? not sure, it is 25 years old, I only do full loads, we wear clothes over if they are not dirty.

How old is your dishwasher? is it newer and high efficiency? it is 5yo and I think it is high efficiency. I only do full loads

Our bill runs 40-50 dollars a month. Our water comes from a town well which only services about 1 square mile.

Wow! I feel quite conservative on our water usage now! We are on public water with a meter.

How many gallons a month do you go through? 2800-3000 gallons

How many people are in your house? 4

How many toilets? (not sure if this makes a difference) One

Do you treat your water? No. Don't need to.

Do you have a High Efficiency washer? Just a regular Maytag top loader

How old is your dishwasher? I am my diswasher. :) No electric one here.

Our water company states that the average household in our area (mid-Atlantic) averages 70 gallons/person/per day. There is probably limited irrigation, primarily for flower beds, included in that figure. Water softners are not in widespread use. My guess is that most dishwashers and toilets are low water users in the area.

We use more, but I love hot, steamy showers.

Anyone else?

Our last bill we used just over 10,000 gallons of water. We did not water the lawn this is just daily use, we probably spend about $30-40 a month on water softener salt also :confused: Our water bill was $66.00. We really need some type of softener or something because the water is fairly hard.

Thanks,

Phlox

How many gallons a month do you go through? My bill says 7, LOL, so 7000~ gallons for 27 days, $27.24 (water only). That is ALL household use, no landscaping to water.

How many people are in your house? 5, 2 adults, 1 preteen girl with long showers and 2 youngers. It ran about $10 more with 2 adults in the house though.

How many toilets? (not sure if this makes a difference)3, i think all are low flow

Do you treat your water? reverse osmosis at the sink only

Do you have a High Efficiency washer? yes, Miele, it uses 6 gallons of water a load. We do 5 or so loads a week.

How old is your dishwasher? is it newer and high efficiency? 5 years. It's cheap, that would be all i know about it.

Anyone else?

Our last bill we used just over 10,000 gallons of water. We did not water the lawn this is just daily use, we probably spend about $30-40 a month on water softener salt also :confused: Our water bill was $66.00. We really need some type of softener or something because the water is fairly hard.

Thanks,

Phlox

Do you have a front loader washer? A friend cut her water bill in HALF doing nothing but switching from a top loader (40 gallons per load) to a front loader (hers uses about 10 gallons).

How many gallons a month do you go through? about 5000 gallons

How many people are in your house? 6 (four are 9 & under)

How many toilets? 4, all low flow (doesn't really matter how many you have, just how many times they get flushed ;))

Do you treat your water? Yes, water softener

Do you have a High Efficiency washer? Yes. I do 7-10 loads of laundry a week.

How old is your dishwasher? is it newer and high efficiency? New; I think it uses 6-7 gallons for a load.

We do not water our lawn.