Menu

Favorite Parent Manuals/Resources

Hubby and I are interested in learning more about teaching subject A, B or C. We're looking for books that better equip *us* to teach/facilitate/guide a student through a topic or skill than just a curriculum that we can administer. We need The Hives help with compiling a booklist of such resources for a wide variety of subjects.

Please, if you know of books that are more for parents/teachers to read and understand insights into a topic please share it. We are getting a lot of book-centric giftcards and would like to put them to good use.

Math:

Marshmallow Math

Kitchen Table Math vol 1-3

Art:

Drawing with Children

Literarute

Deconstructing Penguins

How to Tutor by Sam Blumenfeld

The Three R's by Ruth Beechick.

Train Up a Child. About Amish schools. How do teenaged girls without even a highschool education teach non English speaking children to be prepared for adulthood in an English speaking world in just 8 years?

http://www.amazon.com/Train-Up-Child-Mennonite-Anabaptist/dp/0801884950

• Like 2

My favorites:

Math

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

Simply Charlotte Mason's Mathematics book & DVD set

Phonics/Spelling

Writing Road to Reading--although it's not the easiest book to navigate!  

Science

Handbook of Nature Study

Natural Science Through the Seasons--lots of ideas for nature study, organized into seasonal units

General

The Living Page--lots of ideas for incorporating notebooks into your child's education 

Planning

The Well Trained Mind ;)

Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum

Planning Your Charlotte Mason Education

Edited by Holly
  • Like 3

1.  How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare.   http://www.amazon.com/How-Teach-Your-Children-Shakespeare/dp/0307951502/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450295499&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+teach+children+shakespeare

I'm in the middle of reading it, but it looks good so far.  Like anything, I'll probably tweak it. 

2.   Mindset.  http://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psychology-Success-Carol-Dweck/dp/0345472322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450295619&sr=8-1&keywords=Mindset

Eta:  corrected grammar

Arithmetic for Parents by Ron Aharoni was VERY helpful for me.

The War Against Grammar... great book for understanding why we should teach grammar, its role in history, and why it's not emphasised nowadays.

How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare.

The Well Trained Mind.

The Liberal Arts Tradition by Clark and Jain.

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. Not only helpful for understanding how to teach science, but a good tutorial for how to use the socratic method in general.

Edited by Ms.Ivy
  • Like 1

I'm not ready to give it my full endorsement yet, but I just picked up an old, used copy of "About Teaching Mathematics" by Marilyn Burns. This is focused on K-8 and directed towards (I think) actual elementary teachers but might be what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Some of the best were the teacher manuals - RightStart, Singapore HIG, and Lab Notes (Miquon) for math. MCT grammar books and Denise Eide's teaching notes/video for LOE Essentials.

Also Synthia Ulrich Tobias books "They Way They Learn" and the other (Every Child can Succeed??).

For the Children's Sake - My mom put this one in what we jokingly refer to as the required reading box she loaned me when she learned I was pregnant with my first.   Or maybe it was in the recommended reading box that she gave me after I had finished the required reading box.

Every writing book I could get my hands on.

Teaching From Rest by Mackenzie   This would have been very good to read before I started.  I came around to much of what she says but maybe this would have saved me some of the mistakes I made.  This book encouraged and challenged me even now after 18 years of experience.  

My personal favorites:  "The Well Trained Mind," of course, "For the Children's Sake," "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics," and "The Handbook of Nature Study."  I recently added "How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare" to my library but haven't implemented much of it yet.

My favorite resource to see if my grading is up to par is Writing Assessment Services with Cindy Marsch. She acts as a writing tutor and grader for my dd's history and English papers. She also read my dd's Common App admissions paper.  I grade the papers and send her random ones to make sure my grading stays impartial and that I am looking at all the things I should be evaluating. She has other services but the above are the ones I have used for years and am very happy with. 

Climbing Parnassus

WTM and WEM

The Writing Road to Reading

Unicorns Are Real

Upside Down Brilliance

A Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education

Miquon TM and First Grade Diary

The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever

The Private Eye

Do you have an author for The Private Eye?