Menu

Scripture memory verse suggestions?

We like to do chapters or long sections (alongside individual Sunday School verses occasionally, etc) - I find it's more 'bang for my buck' if you will, because it's easier to just keep flowing into the next verse than to introduce a whole new verse every time we do memory work. Also, I like the mind training that longer memory sections give. 

That said, our girls have memorized: Psalm 1, Isaiah 40, Hebrews 11, John 14:1-17, Psalm 145. I feel like I'm forgetting one. I love all of those passages. We just finished Psalm 145 and I plan to get into Philippians 2 after the holidays. I also like to take a chunk of time between passages to do review so that they don't lose the old ones.

• Like 3

We mostly use verses from SCM: https://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/curriculum-guide/scripture-memory/

I like that there are a variety of passage lengths.  Each year has a longer passage to work on.  I printed out several of their Verse Packs over the summer and I've been picking and choosing from them.

Edited by Holly
  • Like 1

We like to do chapters or long sections (alongside individual Sunday School verses occasionally, etc) - I find it's more 'bang for my buck' if you will, because it's easier to just keep flowing into the next verse than to introduce a whole new verse every time we do memory work. Also, I like the mind training that longer memory sections give.

That said, our girls have memorized: Psalm 1, Isaiah 40, Hebrews 11, John 14:1-17, Psalm 145. I feel like I'm forgetting one. I love all of those passages. We just finished Psalm 145 and I plan to get into Philippians 2 after the holidays. I also like to take a chunk of time between passages to do review so that they don't lose the old ones.

Many of our bishops and monks have the entire NT and Psalter memorized. I think repetition but also the extended passages makes this possible.

I like to vary the lengths of the verses. Shorter ones breed motivation, while long ones are a longer term goal. We use the Scripture memory system from SimplyCharlotteMason.com, and the verse packs there are good for suggestions. For my little ones, I pull verses from Susan and Richie Hunt's My ABC Bible Verses.

• Like 1