Menu

Smartphone advice needed

Twolittleboys

I use Google Maps for my general navigation. 

And I have my banks',  library system's, and local news stations apps installed. The local news app can be both helpful and annoying. Helpful when it gives me useful alerts, such as weather warnings, traffic delays and major breaking stories. Annoying when it alerts me that they have set the kickoff time for the local football game, or what they have named the new baby princess.

I love the games Flow Free, 1010 and 2048, but they can be addicting. I also have a suite of Logic Games that I adore. 

• Like 1

The Waze app is my GPS.  Used this one for three years, couldn't live without it.

I use the clock/alarm feature all of the time.

I like Dropbox, which is connected to my computer.  Any pictures I take with my phone are automatically transferred to my computer when I'm bafck on my home wireless network.  Incredibly convenient.

Games apps for Sodoku and Mahjohng.

Pandora for music when I'm at work.

Pinterest so I can access my recipe boards when I'm out shopping.

I have a parking app to pay for parking at my kid's college location, instead of having to pay at the kiosk.  It includes hundreds of parking sites; I've only used it at the school so far.

DCMetro app for when I use the Metro.

A weather app.

Gmail app.  For two years my husband has logged into his gmail account through his phone, and I wonder WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM.  My kid finally set it up for him to.

And Lookout, my phone's antivirus and locator service.  Love this one.

• Like 1

period tracker (yeah, even my perimenopausal self. )

dropbox

keyring  (all those store promo/discount cards - on my phone!  my wallet is so much happier.)

flashlight (I nearly sent my phone back because the software very deep inside my phone was turned off. they walked me through fixing it, and it still didn't work.  the phone actually had to be restarted, which they didn't have me do, after going deep inside.)

I have several church apps -

scriptures,

tool (directories, calenders, etc.),

hymn books

walkdroid/fitness apps.  worked really well with my old phone.  I still haven't gotten it to work as well on this one.

my son loaded onebusaway (seattle's metro tracker) when he borrowed my phone.  I've used it once, and was very glad I had it. (the bus showed as being seriously late - after a football game. we split a cab with another couple. that made it about what the bus would have cost.)

I use the preloaded navigator app. - and it also gives great traffic information. (we really need it around here.)  dh has actually become attached to it.  he even named it . . . . 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

I can't live without my subscription to Google Play Music Unlimited on my phone. You pay ten bucks a month and can basically listen to any album ever. I plug it into the auxiliary port on my car's CD player and listen to music whenever I'm driving.

Podcast Republic is great, too. It's a free podcast app. I stick my phone in my pocket and listen to podcasts while I clean.

My shopping list app is also really useful.

I don't know what I would do without the Calendar system that came with my iPhone. I use it to keep track of my tutoring appointments, doctor's appointments, etc. I can set alarms to remind me, and I can even tell it to include travel time based on where I am at the time. It wouldn't surprise me if there is something cooler out there, but this works for me. 

Some of my faves:

Chomp SMS for texting

SwiftKey keyboard

Cartwheel for Target discounts

Clean Master to free up phone RAM & more

RetailMeNot for store coupons

Wunderlist for my to do list, Christmas list, grocery list, etc.

gReader for blog subscriptions

A word of warning to be ignored if you feel it is not appropriate. My ds is in a Masters program in cyber security. He told me to lose the bank apps and never use my phone for banking. I didn't follow his explanation, but took him at his word. That is all....

Handcent SMS for texting because I can customize the heck out of it

I love  gmail, google calendar, google keep, Google music, etc.

Dropbox to keep all our emergency family lists (encrypted) in a shared folder so anyone in the family can access it with photos of our insurance cards, up to date medical information and stuff like that.

Overdrive

Poweramp premium is my preferred app for my audiobooks

CM Browser for it's speed

Cleanmaster

SMS backup backs up contacts, apps, messages and calendar

Goodreads

Keyring

NOAA weather app

I prefer Nova Launcher to the stock one

Zedge for ringtones

and because I never know when I'll be stuck at a hospital with someone I love who needs entertaining I also have

Netflix

Hulu

Amazon

and because I don't trust the cloud and I might get stuck somewhere without service I have a USB to go cord and a 32 GB flashdrive in addition to the 16gb on my phone and the 32gb sd card where I keep more audiobooks, TC lectures, several seasons of various favorite shows, family photos and a couple movies, something for every member of my family to enjoy.  I know, it's weird, but then, I have literally spent months at a time in hospitals with various family members so I have learned over the years what might be good to have.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma

A word of warning to be ignored if you feel it is not appropriate. My ds is in a Masters program in cyber security. He told me to lose the bank apps and never use my phone for banking. I didn't follow his explanation, but took him at his word. That is all....

Yes, I'm an IT/CSC professor, and no apps for banking here either. Take it or leave it.

I use Spotify, Google Maps, several devotional/Bible apps, a grocery shopping app, a timer app, and several work-related apps.

I'm a very late adopter, having just got a smart phone this fall after multiple medical crises when I really needed to be able to do some basic work-related tasks from the hospital. It's saved my bacon multiple times already.