Menu

Anyone with a good memory of Mary Stewart's book The Crystal Cave?

Laurie4b

This is an inquiry on behalf of one family member who is thinking of purchasing this book for a new fiance of a family member. 

I have only a very vague recollection of reading this book and read so many from the Arthurian legends that I may be confusing it with another one. 

Many Arthurian books have an interweaving of pagan England and the new religion of Christianity. I have a vague recollection that the balance of that in this book is anti-Christian in tone and that there is a lot of off-putting sex in it. (I don;t know another term to use from my vague memory--maybe the sex was incestuous or very detailed?  If this is true, it wouldn't be the right book for the gift recipient. However, as I said, I may be confusing this book with another one.

Has anyone read it recently enough to remember? 

I am not asking for debate on the issues, just for help remembering so I can advise about whether the recipient would be likely to enjoy this gift. 

I haven't read her Arthur recently, but I've read a lot of Mary Stewart including her romance novels, and I don't remember any sex at all, very clean, so that would surprise me.

What you're describing sounds more like The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. 

Yep, I agree.  I recently decided to re-read The Mists of Avalon ( i had last read it and The crystal Cave in college for a class) I quickly quit reading it because the content disturbed me.  I restarted The Crystal Cave and it was the book I was looking for.

• Like 1

I don't remember it being particularly anti-Christian or particularly heavy on sex. There is the incestuous sex between Arthur and his sister (Arthur doesn't know she is his sister) not really explicit, and Uther is always sleeping around, that is part of the story but again generally not (if ever?) explicit. Merlin's mother becomes a nun and his father ends up adopting Christianity I think. Most of that is in later books in the series. Uther accuses Merlin of being a catamite when he doesn't know he is his nephew.

It has been awhile since I read them.

Yep, I agree.  I recently decided to re-read The Mists of Avalon ( i had last read it and The crystal Cave in college for a class) I quickly quit reading it because the content disturbed me.  I restarted The Crystal Cave and it was the book I was looking for.

The Mists of Avalon may well be the one I was remembering then. I just have a vague memory that there was something about the way sex was described in the book that made me decide I really didn't want to read anymore of it. 

I read it in the sixth grade, so it's been a long time, but I don't recall any off-putting sex, beyond the norm for the Arthur legend. I'm fairly sure it would have made an impression. I think her books stay pretty mellow.

The Mists of Avalon have a different tone, I agree that's likely the one you're remembering.

• Like 1

I don't recall anything graphically sexual, or anti-Christian. There is the narrative around who got conceived, how and when. There are animal sacrifice and visions. There is the sense that the pagan/magical view of the world is true and powerful, perhaps implying that the 'new' Christian religion is weak/ignorant (?) It's not the religion of the protagonist, but it's not being cast as an enemy.

One thing I wanted to add is that -- as a Bible student, it is the book I mentally return to when I think about the sociology of the Roman Empire. It's not quite right, of course, being about 800 years out of date, but it helps me think about Paul's travels as significantly arduous and dangerous, and also it helps with my conceptions around slavery in society, and a bit around the patronage system.

Of course it also helps me with understanding the actual setting as a context for church history and general history. It's good for everyone to have one piece of memorable fiction set in each part of world history -- not for accuracy, but just as a world in which to 'set' accurate ideas from non-fiction sources.

• Like 1