Menu

Carbs = BAD

JWSJ

When my son eats carbs (muffins, waffles, etc.) for breakfast, he tends to get a little nutty, which interfers with accomplishing homeschooling.

We can eat eggs and bacon only so much.

He doesn't like dairy products.

What other non-carb breakfast foods are there?

If your ds is having a behavioral reaction to a food he may have an allergy. I would suggest having him tested for a wheat allergy.

Additionally, do a little research on celiac disease and see of other symptoms may fit. Celiac is an inability to digest gluten (found in wheat, rye and barley, also oats, because most oats are contaminated). A good website to view is www.glutenfreedom.com .My two older kids have celiac. Neither presented with the "typical" symptoms docs wanted. The major symptom of one was siezures, but she had anemia and eczema, and she was short compared to our family (not failure to thrive, but smaller than expected). My oldest had severe ADD issues, which greatly improved when gluten was removed from his diet.

If you pursue the medical side of this problem and find you need to remove wheat or gluten entirely from you ds's diet, do not despair. There are many people on this list who do and we can help you get started.

When my son eats carbs (muffins, waffles, etc.) for breakfast, he tends to get a little nutty, which interfers with accomplishing homeschooling.

We can eat eggs and bacon only so much.

He doesn't like dairy products.

What other non-carb breakfast foods are there?

My dd is the same way. I put a protein and fruit, carb with protein

Here are some things we make for her:

cheese toast with an egg on the side

apple slices w/ pbutter

graham crackers w/ yogert

cheese/crackers

p butter bread and fruit

cottage cheese and banana or apple

healthy cereal and a cup of milk

applesauce with graham crackers to dip

oatmeal topped with applesauce, yogert, cinnamon, raisens, brn sugar

seeds, nuts

fruit/yogert smoothies

ham or turkey and cheese rolled up in ww tortilla or w/out

I know exactly what you mean! I make sure my son gets protein at each meal. We do have eggs for breakfast a lot, but other options are turkey sausage and natural peanut butter (or other nut butter) on whole grain toast.

I remember a while back that someone said that they make oatmeal for their family for breakfast but they add something in it from the health food store that greatly increases the protein content.

Lisa

I know exactly what you mean! I make sure my son gets protein at each meal. We do have eggs for breakfast a lot, but other options are turkey sausage and natural peanut butter (or other nut butter) on whole grain toast.

I remember a while back that someone said that they make oatmeal for their family for breakfast but they add something in it from the health food store that greatly increases the protein content.

Lisa

That may have been a soy powder, which you don't want to overuse either. I always beat at least one egg into the oatmeal. The kids don't taste it, and it makes the texture nice and creamy.

It was the absence of protein -- so any protein added (to the carbs) made the difference.

boiled egg

peanut butter (either in a spoonful, or on a bagel, or on a piece of toast)

handful of nuts

cheese (slice or stick)

glass of milk

:iagree: This is how it was here with 1 child. She has shifted to be able to eat less protein in the morning since starting her period. WHich is good because getting her to eat it every morning wasn't fun either.

Whole grains do not create the spike in blood sugar that refined sugars and starches create. Would a muffin made from whole wheat flour also make your son "nutty"?

Is it possible the problem is with gluten and not the carbs?

Unless he does have an allergy to wheat, there is a huge difference between simple carbs and complex carbs! Some oatmeal (not the ones in the envelopes with all the sugar and artificial junk) a whole grain pumpkin muffin, a sweet potato - there have been studies saying a sweet potato at 2 pm will keep you from crashing in the afternoon - maybe try it in the morning. Maybe look at what he is eating the night before as well. Is he going to bed with a tummy full of dessert? Is he getting a good balance of protein and complex carbs for supper?

Whole grains do not create the spike in blood sugar that refined sugars and starches create. Would a muffin made from whole wheat flour also make your son "nutty"?

Is it possible the problem is with gluten and not the carbs?

Carbs affect me, whether they are whole grains or not.

I just mixed egg white and cheese and cherry tomato halves together and put them in the microwave for my 4 year old. They smelled amazing and he ate them all. I didn't get to taste though because of my diet.

Have you tried breakfast burritos with whole grain tortillas? I fill ours with chicken or egg whites and salsa.

Whole Foods carries some great protein powder with only like 4 grams of carbs and it tastes like chocolate or vanilla. Very healthy and the protein will keep him full for a long time with no blood sugar spikes.

It was the absence of protein -- so any protein added (to the carbs) made the difference.

boiled egg

peanut butter (either in a spoonful, or on a bagel, or on a piece of toast)

handful of nuts

cheese (slice or stick)

glass of milk

This is what makes a big difference for me (sugar affects me greatly).

My typical morning breakfast is cheese & triscuits plus a large handful of almonds. The protein has also cleared up my complexion as an added bonus.

Angela

CARBS = BAD for my dd and I too! And with the utmost respect to the other posters, some of the suggestions you've gotten here are still just carbs. For me and my dd, it doesn't make one iota of difference if the grains are whole or refined, they still = bad. (Except for rice -- for whatever reason, we seem to tolerate rice well.)

So what I would suggest is that first of all, breakfast does not have to be limited to "breakfast foods". There is absolutely no reason you can't have steak or chicken or anything else for breakfast. One of my favorite breakfasts is leftovers from the night before. I've been known to cook bratwurst on the grill in the backyard for breakfast. Expand your horizons! :D

Secondly, if he likes smoothies, I would recommend substituting WHOLE COCONUT MILK for the dairy. A fruit juice smoothie is too sugary. And a soy milk one has too much estrogen in it for a growing boy (or girl for that matter). If you have access to good quality, farm fresh or organic, eggs, then throw in a raw egg yolk or two. He won't taste it, and it will be a great source of protein and vitamins. (It is not safe to do this with standard commercial eggs!) Also, the brand of coconut milk we buy has only 2 grams of carbs, and 17 grams of some of the most nourishing healthy fat on the planet. We add a handful of berries and a touch of stevia to sweeten.

HTH, and I'll try to keep thinking of more suggestions.

Secondly, if he likes smoothies, I would recommend substituting WHOLE COCONUT MILK for the dairy. A fruit juice smoothie is too sugary. And a soy milk one has too much estrogen in it for a growing boy (or girl for that matter). If you have access to good quality, farm fresh or organic, eggs, then throw in a raw egg yolk or two. He won't taste it, and it will be a great source of protein and vitamins. (It is not safe to do this with standard commercial eggs!) Also, the brand of coconut milk we buy has only 2 grams of carbs, and 17 grams of some of the most nourishing healthy fat on the planet. We add a handful of berries and a touch of stevia to sweeten.

:iagree: I am a believer in coconut milk and coconut oil for all the reasons you mentioned.