Menu

Dessert recipe needed with no dairy, chocolate, oats, soy, or coconut

I'm going to a dinner party and I get to bring dessert for 14. Fine, except that there are food allergies to accomodate: no chocolate, no milk-based products, no coconut, no soy, and no oats. Even though it isn't essential, just for myself I'd like to avoid or reduce the amount of sugar, too (honey would be fine). Does such a recipe exist? What would you make?

How about some homemade sorbets? Fresh fruit carmelized and drizzled with honey?

Although I did read the list of excluded foods and thought, "Why bother?" :D

If it doesn't have chocolate, I personally just don't see the point. I'm the one who told the allergist that if chocolate popped up, I'd be suicidal.

Jen

I'm going to a dinner party and I get to bring dessert for 14. Fine, except that there are food allergies to accomodate: no chocolate, no milk-based products, no coconut, no soy, and no oats. Even though it isn't essential, just for myself I'd like to avoid or reduce the amount of sugar, too (honey would be fine). Does such a recipe exist? What would you make?

I would take a beautiful platter of fruits and sliced cheese. Those who cannot eat dairy can simply not take any.

~Dana

Well, there's always Lazy Man's Cake - I've made this for years and years - it's my staple birthday cake. I have tried to use all or mostly whole grain and replace most of the sugar with stevia, but honestly it tastes best in the original (since it has no dairy or egg, I think it the chemistry is finely tuned and too much tweaking, much to my dismay, doesn't work too well). Sucanat would work fine, though. Don't be scared of the carob - it tastes really good. And even though I like carob for its own sake and don't really think it tastes all that much like chocolate, I gave this cake to my chocolate-allergic friend once and she came to me convinced I had mistakenly put chocolate in it... (and you did say wheat was okay, yes, just not oats?)

3 c. flour

2 c. sugar

2 c. water

1 c. oil

1 c. carob

2 T. vinegar

2 t. baking soda

1 t. salt

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Mix at medium speed for 2 min. Bake ina greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake at 350º for 30-40 min.

I usually just sprinkle powdered sugar on it rather than frost it, but I do have a recipe for carob frosting (made with nut butter and maple or brown rice syrup) if you want.

JOC apple crisp or

apple, peach, or plum cake cockaigne on page 661 ofthe one copyrighted in 1975. This plum cake, which I make with Italian plums, is a cobbler, really. The cake can be made perfectly with Earth Balance instead of butter and almond milk (I use vanilla). The crisp can be made with Earth Balance. There are both FABulous.

Many pies will fit your bill, too.

(p.s. cockaigne is the code word they use in the book meaning: this is a

recipe is one of our favourites)