Menu

Drawing tablets

Eliz

Hi,

My 15 yo daughter is an artist and wants a tablet for Christmas, but I'm really confused by the different models.  Does anybody know what tablets are good for beginners in digital art and are not too expensive?  Anybody know anything about Wacom Intuos Art pen and touch?  Is the quality any good?  She's read that it may lag between the time you draw and it appears on the screens.  Recommendations much appreciated.  Thanks so much!

I am not familiar with the Intuos, but we have the Wacom Bomboo, which seems similar. You draw on the tablet and your picture appears on your computer screen, right?

Con: It is disconcerting to draw in one place, but have to look in another to see what you are working on. You get used to it, however. I did not notice a time lag, but than I am not a fast worker.

Pro: It beats using a mouse to draw, 1000x easier,

Look at the software bundle carefully. It may be older versions, and you will want to check for compatibility.

I would also look at the new generation of smart pens, like the jot touch. I have not used one, just heard from ds that he 'needs' it, lol. If they work as advertised, they could be great. Also, software for iPad can have capabilities of computer version, but cost significantly less.

If $$$ were no object, the new iPad with multi touch sounds fantastic. $$$$$.

ETA. Found this link in an Adobe forum. Wacom far superior io iPad. Pressure sensitive.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/970457

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

The Wacom tablets are good and excellent for a beginner.  I've never noticed lag and I've had two of the lower end models.  I currently have a Bamboo that works great.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but you can pick it up pretty quickly.  Make sure she has a decent program to draw with (photoshop or Corel Draw, or similar)

• Like 1

My dd is younger and perhaps not as discerning, but she has logged... realistically... over a thousand hours on her Huion 610 tablet over the last 15 months or so. We did just replace it for her, but only with the newer version. The old one was working but was glitchy since Windows 10, and didn't stay connected to the charging cable well anymore.

If budget is a concern, it's hard to beat!

• Like 1

DD has a Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch in the medium size. (Hers is the older version of the one you mentioned. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EN27UC2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage) She got it last Christmas. It has been wonderful for her! She started with the free software that came with it (Art Rage) and loved it so much that I recently got her a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud, which allows her to use all the programs they offer. She is slowly but surely learning Illustrator and Animate and wants to design a web site soon.

What I will say is that there is a big learning curve. I wouldn't call it lag, really, more like a hand-screen-eye coordination adjustment period. Now when she draws, she gets exactly what she wants, but when she started it was frustrating to her that what was on the screen did not perfectly reflect what she intended. In the beginning, she often quit and just grabbed pencils and paper when she wanted to draw. But practice makes perfect, and she's drawing incredible things these days. Many days her friends just sit and watch her draw on it, which I find hysterical. She has drawn everyone in the neighborhood as a cat, I think. LOL

This has been a great investment for her. I couldn't be more happy with that tablet.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 1