Menu

Help me round out my pre-k choices

happynurse

I am planning to introduce some gentle pre-k after the new year. Here is what I'm planning so far...

LoE Foundations A

RightStart Mathematics A

and that's about it! I've got a little picture book called 'Me on the Map' and hope to start talking about some simple geography, as well as our address, phone numbers, etc.

Can you all help me round this out? I'm aiming to stick to a roughly $400 budget (after purchasing LoE and RS). I know this may be more than I need for pre-k, but that also needs to include a new printer and laminator. 

Thanks!!

If you want to include gentle science, my daughter loved The Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science. It's long enough to last for a while, and it held her interest well. There aren't any activities or anything, but it's a good little introduction.

• Like 3

We love Sonlight 3/4. Like, everyone everywhere should buy it kind of love. The collections, the matching bears, the random books I never would have chosen myself. The wee sing CD is actually one long story with all of the nursery rhymes woven into one. It's super cool.

I also recommend the Classical Conversations Timeline Song.

• Like 1

For a 3 or 4-year old??

For 3 years, we've loved Memoria Press preschool. It's very gentle, lots of good books. We've also like Preschool Math at Home if you find that your dc isn't ready for RS A (Love RS BTW).

For 4 years I like to incorporate some HWOT...the CD is good, making sure they're holding a crayon/pencil with the proper grip. I'm also planning to switch to MP Jr. K read alouds in conjunction with their craft book. Cut and Create books are good as well for easy crafts.

I'm thinking about getting the Bambino Luk package from Timberdoodle. I love the idea of it - reusable, self-correcting, and fairly independent. Good for when I'm working with big sister.

Me on the Map is great!!! Loved doing this with my oldest dd. If you're interested there's a printable package on Teachers pay Teachers with the templates for activities. 

• Like 1

Gentle math, lots and lots of reading, then just daily life--visit new places (builds vocabulary), cook together (comparing quantities, observing changes), clean the house (following directions, fine motor control, and yes, builds character), write notes to relatives, draw/paint/color/explore art materials, care for something (a fish, a snail, a dog, a cat, your neighbors, a plant....).

• Like 1

If you want to include gentle science, my daughter loved The Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science. It's long enough to last for a while, and it held her interest well. There aren't any activities or anything, but it's a good little introduction.

Oh yes, this is a hit here.

You might consider some motor skills activities. I know they can be easily done in day to day life but my kids (and I) really benefited from having them structured into our school day and ready to go from workbooks.  The Kumon cutting and pasting books (My First Book of Cutting, as well as the 'Let's Cut' books, different series), the Kumon tracing and easy maze books, some 'put the sticker in it's place' books like those from Roger Priddy. Train Your Hand and Bubbles from School Zone. Doodle books. Anything that gets them using their hands in an intentional way. 

We also like Building Thinking Skills, Beginning for this age. It starts out easy with colours and shapes but goes into other things as the course goes on. If your kids like puzzles, Hands On Thinking Skills is intended for 5-6yos but is also very good. 

I don't do any science/history at this age, personally, because I think very little is retained. They retain what interests them, so my child commenting that ice is cold, and me using that to have a conversation about what ice is, sticks far better than happening to come up to the 'ice' lesson in the curriculum that day, right before naptime, with the baby running around. 

• Like 2

Buy a cookbook for math, chemistry, and everything all in one. My daughter got "the Toddler Cookbook" because she thought she could do it herself this year (she is 6). Maybe. Point is--cooking is a great all-in-one applied-everything "class" at that age. You always learn something, even if you have to learn that flour tastes NOTHING like powdered sugar again and again and again.

• Like 1

Fine motor and gross motor activities, sensory activities. I second the endorsement for Kumon books.

I saw Building Thinking Skills by the Critical Thinking Company was already mentioned.  They have a TON of great books for pre-k level, including basic logic and other reasoning books.  They are really fantastically fun.

• Like 2

We are going to be curriculum twins! Haha

For science, history & lit all in one check out the Kindy year of Build Your Library - it's a year long geography centered curriculum that hits the 7 continents, animals, cultures, etc. I decided to go my own direction w/ the same idea, but it is a great place for a framework example or reading fm suggestions & it's really affordable.

You could also look at some of the Intellego unit studies for things like continents, animals, etc. They are k-2, so may need some simplifying but can always be used more than once!

• Like 1