Menu

Solitary/one player games

kirstenhill

DD11 is looking for ideas for her Christmas list for games that can be enjoyed by one person alone.  They could be board games or "logic puzzle" type games.  She has learned a few varieties of solitaire played with regular playing cards, and is looking for something different (though other types of card games might be interesting). She doesn't really care for jigsaw puzzles. We already put a rubik's cube and the game Rush Hour on her list.  Any other ideas for her?

How about a book detailing rules of Solitaire card games? 

Or a subscription to one of the Dell puzzle magazines? I personally love the Math and Logic Puzzles book. 

Check out the puzzles sections of Barnes and Noble -- both the puzzle books section and the section where they have board games and such. 

• Like 2

This old list (three pages long) titled The best solitary playable game has some intriguing games listed such as Ricochet Robots and Al Cabohne.

Also, Bananagrams has some puzzle books such as

Banana-Grams! The Official Book, 575 Appealing Word Challenges That Will Drive You Bananas!

10-Minute Bananagrams!

Bananagrams: The On-the-Go Edition: 575 All New Word Games

Likewise, there are Scrabble books:

SCRABBLEâ„¢ Puzzles Volume 1

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Sometimes it's fun to play the cooperative games by yourself. Just play as if you're several people. So things like Forbidden Island/Desert (Desert is a better choice for older kids) and Pandemic.

I never thought of this.  My kids don't like to play Forbidden Desert or Pandemic.  I'm going to try your suggestion.