Menu

My illiterate boy...

Sailor Dude is my youngest of three children and the only one in the family who does not read at all  outside of class. For years, we have teased him as being our "illiterate" child, even though we have always placed a strong emphasis on English classes and he enjoys the reading in school.

He reads slowly and this has freaked me out all through high school because while his brain is up for the challenge of more demanding classes, the reading speed has put a lot of stress on the schedule and on him.

The new ACT scores are in. We owe the incomparable Maya Inspektor at Pennsylvania Homeschoolers a huge "thank you" and then some.  Sailor Dude scored a 35 in English and a 34 in Reading.

For those of you with bright guys who are slow readers, hang in there. Keep working on the comprehension. Speed isn't everything. Practice and maturity can real change things.

• Like 46

Curious - did he have time extended on the ACT?

Great job on those scores!

Kelly, he did not have extended time. I went so far a couple of years as to get the neuropsych appointment for evaluation, but backed out because both Sailor Dude and his older sister were  at that time undergoing numerous tests to try and figure out the cause of chronic intestinal problems.

I still have doubts about that decision.  His comprehension is probably better than those of us in the family that are much faster readers, which is a good thing, but again, the reading speed is problematic for heavier course loads and we have spent much of high school tweaking coursework.

For example, he's completed the two AP English classes, so for his senior year, I am trying to expose him to great authors, whose work I think he will appreciate, but we are using shorter works based on the works used in The Great Courses'  A Day's Read.  Books like One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich that have 178 pages, will take a week or more. His older siblings would have read it in 2 days max.  Like my husband, ds reads every single word, so we continue to work on that.

To increase his ACT scores, he drilled and drilled for speed.

I don't know if any of that helps, but through the years, we have had so many conversations on the high school board about slow readers, and they are nearly always boys. It's frustrating, and at times, disappointing. Barring any serious learning challenges, I would encourage everyone to keep reading to them on a higher level than they might choose or be capable of managing on their own. Encourage them by helping choose books of interest, books that engage them. For the testing, I hate to say it, but keep drilling.

• Like 1

The new ACT scores are in. We owe the incomparable Maya Inspektor at Pennsylvania Homeschoolers a huge "thank you" and then some.  Sailor Dude scored a 35 in English and a 34 in Reading.

Lisa, can you please give us an idea of the reading requirements for Ms. Inspektor's AP Lit course?  And is the AP Lang course also heavy reading?

Whoa!  Those are awesome scores.  Thanks for sharing.  Great job, Sailor Dude and Maya Inspektor.  I hope he/you let her know.

Ds took a CC class called Critical Reading and Thinking in 10th grade that I think helped him achieve similar scores.  He really is more of a math/science kinda guy but he scored better on English/Reading than Math/Science on the ACT.

Kelly, he did not have extended time. I went so far a couple of years as to get the neuropsych appointment for evaluation, but backed out because both Sailor Dude and his older sister were  at that time undergoing numerous tests to try and figure out the cause of chronic intestinal problems.

I still have doubts about that decision.  His comprehension is probably better than those of us in the family that are much faster readers, which is a good thing, but again, the reading speed is problematic for heavier course loads and we have spent much of high school tweaking coursework.

For example, he's completed the two AP English classes, so for his senior year, I am trying to expose him to great authors, whose work I think he will appreciate, but we are using shorter works based on the works used in The Great Courses'  A Day's Read.  Books like One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich that have 178 pages, will take a week or more. His older siblings would have read it in 2 days max.  Like my husband, ds reads every single word, so we continue to work on that.

To increase his ACT scores, he drilled and drilled for speed.

I don't know if any of that helps, but through the years, we have had so many conversations on the high school board about slow readers, and they are nearly always boys. It's frustrating, and at times, disappointing. Barring any serious learning challenges, I would encourage everyone to keep reading to them on a higher level than they might choose or be capable of managing on their own. Encourage them by helping choose books of interest, books that engage them. For the testing, I hate to say it, but keep drilling.

What did you do to for drilling?

Thanks.

Way to go Sailor Dude!  Great scores, Lisa!

My boys have always told me that they are super slow readers, yet they score very well.

DD12 reads quickly, but will not score well on any test.  Orally, she demonstrates great comprehension.  On a test?  No way.  THAT frightens me.